Posts by smokinhalfnote

I'm definitely buying a Remote (smaller footprint + my Mission pedals is impossible to pass up). But the FCB1010 UNO4Kemper has served me well (and still will for a few weeks). I'm keeping mine as a backup. Gear breaks, even high quality gear. While I won't miss the 3 cables or the horrible expression pedals, the versatility of the Uno4Kemper is still worthy of respect.

Hello all. I have what I hope is a simple question (fingers crossed).

I have a Powerhead currently running into a Matrix 16 ohm NL12. I would like to add another NL12. Unfortunately, the Kemper has only one powered monitor out and the NL12 doesn't have a parallel out option.

After some digging, I found this (heard about it on the Dr. Z website): http://procablesnsound.com/ite…y-cables/PYBOX-detail.htm

It allows you to take a powered output and split it to two signals (either parallel or series options are available).

I know that the Powerhead can power either 8 ohm or 16 ohm cabs and that the configuration is obviously automatically done by the Kemper as to which load is present. By using a parallel splitter listed above, using two 16 ohm NL12 cabs would cause an amp to see 8 ohms. Of course, the Kemper can handle 8 ohms just fine.

Here's my question - will this work with the Powerhead? My instincts tell me "yes," but my instincts have, on occasion, led me down a dark path. :)

Thanks for any assistance!

I own both and love both. They each have strengths and weaknesses.

Personally, I use the Kemper live in a cover band setting and the Axe-Fx for home recording and video work. I like the portability of the Kemper and the "real amp" adjustability in a live setting. It's easier to tweak on the fly compared to the Axe-Fx, plus I have the Powerhead, so I don't need to have a rack with a power amp plus the Axe Fx. I also like how the Kemper allows you to sum outputs to mono, since most PAs I play through are configured for mono. Also easier to use a real cab on stage and send a cab sim signal to FOH.

This isn't to say that the Kemper isn't a great studio tool and that the Axe Fx isn't viable in a live setting. But for my needs, Kemper/Live and Axe-Fx/Studio is the way to go.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. That was actually the first thing I tried. The FCB1010 with the UNO4Kemper chip installed has the volume pedal set at #07 and cannot be changed. Unlinking the volume works for the master volume on the front panel (it will only control the monitor volume if you unlink the master), but the volume pedal still controls the overall volume.

No offense to Xavier, but I think he might have been wrong. It doesn't seem possible to change it.

Hello all. I emailed Xavier earlier today and asked him if the volume pedal of an UNO4Kemper-equipped FCB1010 could control the Monitor Volume instead of the overall volume, and he said it could, but wasn't sure where the setting was. He did say it was on the KPA side and not the FCB1010 side.

I can't find this setting anywhere though on the KPA. Can somebody please help? Thanks!

To answer a question of the OP, after spending two years waiting for Axe Fx to come out with FW 10, which I felt was a game changer, I bought the KPA instead. It became my opinion that with the Axe I would spend too much time diggng into menus trying to tweak the right sound. Not saying that can't be fun, but, let's go to last Satyrday. Suddenly found that I needed five new sounds. Went to the KPA and, luckily for me, there was already one in there that was dead on. One down, four to go. I then found another that, by it's name, was going to be like another sound I needed. It wasn't quite right for me, but, in less than a minute ir two, I had it perfect. As for the other three sounds, they were all based on a Fender Twin. Went to that, p,ayed with the eq and had the next one. Changed the eq and had the fourth. The fifthe required some oedals and banged that right out. All in less than 15 minutes. Didn't have to dig deep into menus. And everyone agreed it sounded great. It took me longer to enter the new names than to twek the sounds. Granted, not the most difficult assignment, but about all I did was twist ome knobs. Couldn't have been simpler and, for me, was an important selling point for the KPA.

This sounds exactly why I decided to buy a Kemper. For me, it's not an either/or decision. Firmware 10 for the Axe-Fx was a game-changer. It really took the Axe to a higher level. The Axe, for me, is going to be a great recording tool, and that's not to say that I'll never gig with it again. It's a great box.

But I'm looking forward to having something that I can tweak like a real amp.

First of all, thanks for all the helpful answers to my questions the last couple of days. You guys have made this a lot easier. :)

I'm curious, for those of you who have a powered version, what kind of cabs/speakers do you have? And why did you choose what you did?

I currently have a Mesa Vertical Rectifier 2x12, but I'm leaning towards a custom Port City Vertical 2x12 with Celestion V30s.

Don't mean to bring up a potential sore spot with Kemper owners, but I know that they've decided not to provide upgrades to the original non-powered versions. So, just wondering - does anyone know if Kemper plans on keeping the empty cavity still in the non-powered head, or will it be covered like the non-powered rack version?

I just ordered a Powerhead from Sweetwater sound and plan on using it both with active and passive cabs. Not worried about the former obviously, since I won't use the power amp output, but I'm concerned about this 600w 8 ohm rating. I have a Mesa 2x12 Rectifier cab that I'd like to use, but it's rated at 120w max. I'm looking at getting a custom Port City vertical 2x12, but the rating on that would be the same (120w).

Just not sure how I should expect to use the power amp portion of the Power Head. Is there a way via the Kemper software to reduce the power output?

So, for any Powerhead or Powerrack users, I'm curious how you use yours and what advice you can offer a Kemper newbie.

Thanks for any help!

Okay, I know this sounds like I'm a potential troll, but hear me out. :)

I have an Axe-Fx II and really like it. I have no interest in getting rid of it, but there's one thing that bugs me, and it bugs me big time. I don't find the Axe-Fx easy to edit "on the fly" in a live situation. I play in a couple of club/bar bands, and we do a wide variety of music. One thing I really miss on the Axe-Fx is having a "real amp" interface. I have no complaints about the sounds - amps or effects. It's a great studio tool for me! But for live use, it's just not working as much as I'd like it to. Tweaking patches quickly (which I often need to do) is a drag.

I've wanted a Kemper for a while anyway. I'm not one of those guys who sees it as an either/or decision. I have a couple of Axe-Fx IIs currently. One stays in my home studio. The other is for the live rig, and I can definitely be talked out of the second one!

So, Kemper folks (especially those of you who own or have extensively used an Axe-Fx), is the Kemper Powerhead the solution to my problems? I'd love to use a real cab (I have a Mesa 2x12 vertical Rectifier) with it as well as running to FOH. I don't need a debate about the superiority of the sounds of either, since I'm already sold on each one, and I think each has its own merits. I think they're both great boxes. I just need something better for live use, something that I can tweak like a "real" amp and not have to scroll through pages of menus.

It would also be a boon for me to carry the "lunchbox" Kemper in its soft case. Much lighter than my ATA rack for sure.

Thanks for any advice or experiences shared!