Posts by nkay

The Satriani version adds noise gates instead of reverb, less compression, clean channel is identical to the 6100, crunch channel is voiced closer to the AFD with more gain. There is less overall gain (still a ton of gain), but it's a more traditional Marshall gain and the whole range is very usable, whereas the stock JVM it's only usable between 3-6 really. For tight metal you actually need to add a boost on the front end, whereas the stock JVM you didn't have to. So overall it's a bit looser and more traditional feel, while the stock JVM was more a metal machine on the OD channels.

I'm generally using JVM 6 for my needs right now. I try to avoid using TS pedals for the JVM and OD1 Orange is my favorite channel from that amp. I used to have it, but I sold it to fund the JVM HJS (Satriani) version ;), so happy to have my old OD1 Orange back! And as I mentioned before in this thread, I don't like v30s with any Marshall, but the blending here between the two speakers really works.

What do you feel is missing from your sound? Many of those high-gain profiles you mentioned are meant to be used in a mix in a band situation. They don't always sound the best just noodling on your own. They are also usually quad-tracked (2 each side panned hard), with a very thick bass guitar right down the middle in the mix.

Yes, just bought these as the samples were great. I hate the sound of v30 speakers on their own with Marshall's, but mixing it with the creamback really filled it out. Been looking for good JVM profiles (especially OD1 orange) for a long time so thanks for this! Going to experiment more with tracking them in a mix the next few days.

As far as I can tell, it's only in the "The Studio Monsters Metal Pack", I can't find it as a single in the numbered bundle list.

Hi, yes the focus was already on the Kemper. I think there was some kind of bad syncing problem.
    This morning, once the release 2.5 version came out, I upgraded to the public OS from the beta, and after it did all the rig checking, it managed to figure out the other ones were deleted so I am at the proper 750 now and it is properly synced.

When it showed over 1000, I could browse the rigs, but any ones that I had deleted were still listed, but they couldn't be loaded.
    Seems to be all fixed now!

Feeling stupid here, but I only recently started using Rig Manager, and while the browsing/search/preview features are nice, I don't actually understand how it is interacting with the Kemper.

For example, I recently updated to the 2.5 public beta. I decided to load all the factory rigs to make sure I have the most updated version of all of them including the new bass rigs. Then the Kemper gave me a message that I'm over a 1000 rig limit.

I didn't know there was a limit, but fine, I go into Rig Manager, and spend a good hour or so deleting a bunch of rigs I didn't want on the Kemper, got it down to around 750. The next day, I turn on my Kemper, and suddenly it is back to over 1000+ rigs? I load up Rig Manager again to see what happened, and then after syncing, it's telling me I'm back to my 750, but this only happens when I have Rig Manager connected. When I disconnect it and use the Kemper on its own, it's back to 1000+ profiles. I noticed that my list of favourites that I recently made are also slightly different than the favourites when I use the Kemper on its own.

I'm sure this isn't how it's supposed to work? Isn't the Rig Manager controlling what's on the Kemper, or is it only giving me a mirror version on the PC and that is what I'm manipulating? I thought I was managing the profiles right on the Kemper?

Quoted from "nkay"

I used to keep it halfway on 5, but sometimes I would adjust it when practicing, but when going back to 5 to continue recording, it's hard to figure out where I was because 5.0 could be anything between 5.0 and 5.1 because the Kemper doesn't show the 10ths

There's no way to lock the output. I hear a difference between 5.0 and 5.1, but not inbetween, like 5.05. Do you?

My ears believe I do, but could be imaginary when turning dial, but does the volume jump like that between increments or is it smooth?

Sorry if this seems a silly related question, as I also have a Duet, but does anyone know how to keep the Kemper Master volume "locked"? What I mean is, for a long recording process I want to keep my master volume out of the Kemper stable at the same level.

I used to keep it halfway on 5, but sometimes I would adjust it when practicing, but when going back to 5 to continue recording, it's hard to figure out where I was because 5.0 could be anything between 5.0 and 5.1 because the Kemper doesn't show the 10ths increments.

My only solution is to crank it full to max 10 so I always know it's maxed out then use the Duet or DAW to lower volume as needed.

Interesting, a couple of other people mentioned that TS thing too. I have no idea what I do differently than others while profiling tho, I never ran into that sort of wah-ish sounding issues

It says right in the manual not to do it ;) I tried it and it sounded horrible. Maybe it depends on type, I have a Green Monkey which I use to goose my Marshall.

Hey good job on these, probably the best 2205 profiles I've heard yet. I cringed when you said it was through a Mesa v30 cab, so tired of people pairing Marshall's with these cabs because they don't work well together, but I think you tweaked it just right so that I didn't notice and got the best qualities of both amp and cab!

Also I find when people add the TS, you get this funny tunnel-wah sound in the Kemper, but I don't hear it at all here. Great job!
    Can't wait for the pack, thank you!

I noticed this phenomena too and thought maybe I was crazy or just picking too hard, but it is true and it is there with certain profiles. (Mostly high gain ones as already mentioned, such as Lasse etc..)

Great thanks for the info. I've never felt the need to buy a profile before until I heard that one so I think I will go for it.
    Just for reference, what do you set the low and hi pass at and how much compression you use? Is the compression on each guitar track or the mix as a whole?
    Thanks again, can't wait to try these out! Really reminds me of the Marching Out/Trilogy Era tone which I love the best.

These sound amazing! Are they stock pickups on your Aria Pro?
    On your Malmsteen video, is there any post processing? Any changes to the EQ or stock default profile?
    Was the DOD in front of the Kemper or in the profile itself?

I always find when I try out profiles (in general) that I have a hard time making them sound like the sample, I think I just suck at dialling in a sound and mixing :)

I'll make sure to have more unboosted profiles in future packs.
    For me it sounds better if the TS is already in the profile, than using the Kemper one, but I see the point of wanting to be able to tweak it yourself.

This isn't about your profiles specifically, I haven't tried them, but from a profiling aspect, I read right in the Kemper manual that it can't handle profiling an amp with a TS circuit in front of it? I've tried it at home and it gives these accentuated tunnel wah sounds. So how does this work for you, and other profiles I've seen, that have the TS right in the profile itself?

I checked all the EQ levels and they are same. I played around a bit more, and I didn't notice any difference this time.
    I always disable the effects on any profile after I load it, but it's possible that bouncing around I might have forgot and that's why it sounded different.

So I tried switching outputs with the effects on, and yes you can notice a slight difference there because of the stereo/mono issue, so that must have been it.