Posts by laardi

Andy Sneap's idea is indeed awesome. But it requires a DI signal that matches the recorded tone if I understood it correctly.

I wonder what would happen, if one just created the corresponding DI signal by trying to very closely mimic the recorded riff (doesn't have to be a long snippet). And then do as Andy prescribed by using that newly created DI.

In other words, the "refine" operation would be used to bridge the gap between YOUR guitar and the recorded tone. Maybe too huge a gap, dunno :D

Hello people,

The only feature I pretty much used with the old forum layout/software was the "View new posts since your last visit" -button or something like that. Now this new forum has all the bells and whistles, and I can't figure out a way to do that specifc operation. Is there a way to do it? I prefer to see just the posts, not any other activity.

Laardi

I have created IRs from cabs (and/or EQs) from within the KPA by using the stock impulse response utility of my Mac. Very convenient, just three mouse clicks or so.

Basically I tried this in order to free the X slot (by converting KPA cab + EQ (in X slot) -> IR -> with CabMaker back to KPA as a KPA cab). This didn't work well, but then again I only fiddled with this for a couple of hours .... :D

According to my experiments, the obtained IRs were not directly useful (very coloured, but EQ helped a lot).

Couldn't resist running a quick test ... First spikes are pick scratches and the rest are strumming open strings with the LL-BOMBED! profile.

I just can't reproduce the bad-sounding (kinda "snapping/clipping" sounding) spikes anymore (latest firmware). BUT, I noticed that if I reamp the same DI file with different noise gate values, then the spikes at the beginnings might get "snappier" (see, e.g., the red sections in the figure).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55653919/spikes.png

Maybe a stupid suggestion, but lowering the noise gate value could help some.

This has been reported and documented. Kemper, it seems, has no interest in fixing it.
    See here.

I used to pay attention to the spiky behaviour as well in the past, but for some reason this doesn't bother me anymore 8| Since the beginning of that thread there have been some changes in the way clean sense is set and the output levels are measured/shown with the leds (right?) and maybe some other global things that I am not even aware of (I don't have to touch on the default settings anymore).

I have also moved mostly to other profiles/rigs, learnt how to use EQs before and after the amp section in a musical way and modified my guitar quite a bit etc. I might even have changed my playing style subconsciously haha!

I checked the waveforms of a recent recording project where I used Lasse Lammert's BOMBED! profile in its stock form (which was spiky back then) and there were no (bad-sounding) spikes in any of the waveforms. Here is an example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…55653919/bombed%20wav.png

For a long time, I have felt no need to post anything here (that is, no problems! :)). Instead, I have focused on composing, practicing, learning how to mix etc. The KPA is boringly perfect haha :P:thumbup:

My powerrack certainly sounds great through a Mesa OS 4x12 cab, but I am also interested in finding a passive FRFR-type solution for easy transportation etc.

However, I am confused with the speakon connectors that many (all?) of the passive PA speakers have. The Kemper powerrack has a 1/4'' speaker output jack, so I am wondering if an adapter cable is sufficient or do I need to consider other aspects as well (bi-amping, number of pins, physical compatibility etc)?

This is a cheapo solution I would like to try out, but the manual says that one should only use "Speakon cables (type NL4FC)" -- Behringer B1220 Eurolive Pro: http://www.thomann.de/fi/behringer_b1220_eurolive_pro.htm

Could someone clarify the use of passive PA speakers (with speakon jacks) in conjunction with the built-in power amp?

Usually condensation takes place when relatively cold material is brought to a relatively warm place (with more humidity). For instance, might happen with gear that is left on the bus over a cold night.

Regarding electronic devices in general: one shouldn't power them on after bringing them inside until the devices are in balance with the surroundings (same temperature etc).

Maybe there is something explicit about this in the user manual? Often the manufacturer specifies the altitude, relative humidity and other conditions separately for 1) storaging the device and 2) operating it.

Never really tried to create ambient tones before, but yesterday this dropped to my mailbox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W86sZ4AcMWQ

So instead of spending 39€ for the advertised EzMix pack, I checked what I can do with the KPA (first run here, these will be further tweaked ;)).

Here is a small test clip recorded directly from the Kemper master stereo out via spdif (only levels/cross-fades are touched in the DAW): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…919/laardi-ambience-1.mp3

0:00-0:24 just reverb+delay

0:25-0:49 added pitch shift+messed around with the ducking parameters

0:50-1:18 further added some muffin distortion by making use of the "parallel path" option

Need to check that FX rig pack next ... :)