Posts by laardi

Hello Kemperland!

We are preparing our first full length album and here is a pre-production demo of a song called Words in Stones:

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/human-sculpture/words-in-stones

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCE37erfQGc

About the production: I collected the DIs, MIDI files and vocal WAVs from the guys and mixed everything together in Logic X with a laptop and a pair of headphones. The rhythm guitars are reamped with the Kemper using a slightly tweaked version of Lasse Lammert’s “Bombed!” profile. The lead/melody guitars are played by using a private profile of my friend’s not-so-heavy Cornford/Marshall rig. Drums are programmed (Superior 2). I also tried to master the song using the stock plugins, but the end result turned out to be a bit sub-optimal I guess (SoundCloud). The YouTube version is re-mastered by our bass guy.

From the Lasse Lammert Signature Rig Pack Info pdf:

BOMBED!
    Maxon OD820 > Bogner Überschall Rev2 with 6CA7 Tubes
    > Mesa Rectifier 4x12 cabinet with V30s > SM57

Deep lows, very aggressive high end. Works great for death metal.

Go check this song out! And check out Human Sculpture's EP “Our World - Torn Down” while you are at it! :) https://soundcloud.com/human-s…/sets/a-world-torn-down-1

Br, MH/Human Sculpture

In my powerrack, there are ventilation holes also on the bottom of the unit iirc. To make it fit a 3U rack, I had to uninstall the rubber supports from the bottom. Consequently, I believe that these holes do not anymore contribute to the ventilation process. The unit sits very tightly in the rack.

I have not had any problems, but I am also wondering if it is ok to block (some of) the ventilation holes this way.

I used to have exactly the same tools a little while ago (before I upgraded) and always wondered the same thing.

In fact, I once ramped something just by panning the mono DI track hard left (or was it right?) and plugging in a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter to the Apogee (headphones) out and from there to the amp input with a regular mono guitar cable. With the Apogee only, there was no way to monitor the sound of course, since the only output was used to direct the signal to the amp (real amp).

BUT: the reamped track was very very noisy no matter what I did and I didn't pursue this route any further. As far as I understood it back then, an impedance matching box of some sort (reamp box with ground lift?) would have been needed.

Then again, someone apparently managed to do all this with a quality cable alone: http://www.gearslutz.com/board…mping-apogee-one-how.html

Fwiw, a spdif interface is just so convenient ...

Is it possible to use the WAH pedal in FCB1010 (+Uno4Kemper) to control something else than the wah; for instance, delay level or pitch shift (assuming these are active stomps in the rig)? Similar to the stuff in Bill Ruppert's Formant demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PWlQAJZGto

The Uno4Kemper manual states that CC#01 is coupled to the wah pedal by design, but it also hints that something could be done on the Kemper side to map things differently ... Any experiences?

Hey Laardi.. nice tones.. can you elaborate on your double tracking.. I just record 2 tracks, then one left and one right and then eq and other things..
    is there something you use to enhance your double tracks or..

There is nothing to elaborate really: two tracks of guitar (no eq, except hi pass) panned hard left and hard right. The profile just sits so well with the drums out of the box (some random metal foundry preset with a slightly touched snare here ...).

Then I have tried to glue everything together by processing the bass (a.k.a. pitch-shifted guitar) according to this guide: http://www.systematicproductions.com/mixing-guide.htm

Bottom line: Lasse's profiles are truly awesome!

Thanks for the replies dudes. During the profiling process, the output is muted and also the levels need to be adjusted/matched etc, iirc (done this once only so far :)). I am just wondering if all this is reflected well to the headphone output.

I guess A/B:ing might be a bit difficult, because the cab sound will leak through the headphones to some extent if done in one and the same room. Or is there another reason for A/B comparison being difficult, HELL-G?

In more detail, my plan is to go to our rehearsal place, somehow mike up the cab of our band's other guitarist and create a profile with just headphones. Then I would connect that same (or a similar) cab to my power rack KPA and use the profile with MonitorCabOff through the built-in poweramp. So the exact miking position hopefully wouldn't matter too much here, especially since I am hoping to "clone" the amp-in-the-room sound. This way both guitarists could have a similar tone during the rehearsal. Voila, maybe. But yeah, I will try this. :)

Is it possible to profile a rig without using an audio interface and a computer and monitors and all that ... that is, just by using (well-isolating) headphones plugged into the front of the KPA (and of course also using a mic in front of the cab)? I can't test this myself any time soon, so hopefully someone here can guide me ;) Just to clarify that in this scenario, one wouldn't connect anything to the main outs of the KPA. Will this work?

I guess the difference is mostly due to the type and position of the mic employed when the profile was created. The powerrack through a real cab will have a different sound in the room if you are comparing it against a miked up version of a similar (or even the same) cabinet through studio monitors or PA. EDIT: guitarnet70 was faster ...

Hello everybody,

I am a fresh Kemper user, just received my powerrack unit a couple of weeks ago (to basically replace Peavey 6505 head + POD HD500 floorboard in the four cable configuration). I also have the FCB1010+Uno4Kemper.

At the rehearsal space, I connect the Kemper's speaker output to Mesa Oversize 4x12 Rectifier standard cabinet. Some profiles sound absolutely great with the MonitorCabOff feature whereas about 30-40% of the profiles (of the ones I happen to have in the unit) have a strange "metallic ringing" or piercing high end in them. I try to provide some clips later, haven't found too much information about this problem yet. A similar example can be heard here, although in my cases (=powerrack through cab) it is much more audible (especially with some Blackstar profiles?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB52leyv6_I

In my home "studio" (aka laptop+audio interface+headphones :D), I use the unit via spdif (reamping etc) and everything works just fine. The effects satisfy my needs totally as well. Test clip: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…/5150-metal-test-clip.mp3

Yesterday I created my first profile in a friend's studio, and the profile was 100% there out of the box (Cornford head + OD pedal + Marshall 4x12). We couldn't separate the profile from the real thing, even though the owner of the rig has been using it for many many years and has golden ears :) We also ran the profile through the same cabinet+mic combination by using the built-in poweramp. Here, we noticed slight EQ-type coloration; the dynamics and feel seemed to be unaffected, and the profile responded amazingly well to adjustments within the unit.

We also tried to grasp the "amp in the room" aspect of the profile by comparing the real rig and the profile+built-in poweramp+cabinet (wíthout miking the cab, that is), and these were very very close to each other as well.

For my narrowish death metal needs, the PowerRack really delivers it all, and the built-in poweramp is a nice extra thing to have if you like to have a real cab around. The built-in poweramp works much better than I expected based on certain reviews/opinions expressed on the web, this is something I want to emphasize!

This forum has been very useful so far so thank you guys and thank you Kemper! :thumbup: