Posts by SynapticGroove

Hi all,

Is there a way to mute the input of the Kemper? I might have missed it in the manual, but I'd like to be able to unplug my ¼" cord without the input spiking.

You're continuing to veer off-topic, but there is something worth mentioning. Cynical feelings about what was old vs what is new and basically parroting the Washington Post is opinion, not fact. Plenty of modern players inspiring new musicians along with new, growing guitar companies. You just either don't see them or aren't interested, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I don't read the Washington Post and I didn't formulate my response as anything other than opinion, not fact. It is curious to me, though, that my 15 year old's guitar heroes are the same heroes I had at 15, even though I've, quite literally, never explicitly exposed him to any of them, sans Hendrix, of course.

Apologies for veering off topic.

There are (real) guitars on albums from so many popular artists today(eg. Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Khalid, etc.), it's ridiculous.

Be that as it may, where are the Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi and Randy Rhoads of today?

I'm sorry man, today's popular music doesn't rate to the 50's-90's. Popular music has become one massively bland genre with zero passion and heart. It goes beyond commercialization now, but, yes, writers can still write hooks, however derivative and homogenized it all might be.

Well, the topic is, of course, an Editor. Whether you're in the camp that is pissed one doesn't exist yet, or you are in the camp that isn't, I think all of us are excited about it and can probably agree on that.

A significant portion, especially the younger generation that has grown up with digital gear, editors, computer editing software, etc. It's not unusual at this stage, and given how many people have taken the leap from analog to digital, that number only increases.

Guitar sales have gone down across the board pretty consistently over the last decade, year-by-year. Mainstream music hasn't been significantly guitar-driven for quite sometime, while iDevice sales, softsynths and computer-driven music have been on a steady incline. Is there a parallel or connection? Probably so. In fact, a pure leap from analog to digital really wouldn't involve a guitar at all, as the guitar, as we all think of it, is 100% analog.

Most of what constitutes popular music nowadays is nothing more than Ableton Live. Sad, but, unfortunately, true.

Well you said anyone who was interested in it wouldn’t not purchase it because there’s no editor, and I’m telling you that a friend of mine who is a working musician was seriously considering it and spent a lot of time messing about with mine and decided in the end that for ease of use that it wasn’t suitable and they went for another product. So there you go.

Some are fine with it, and some aren’t and will go elsewhere. When the editor comes that will no longer be an issue, which is great.

I stand corrected. There is at last one person that made their purchasing decision based on editor software...

In all seriousness, it doesn't really matter and to each their own. Like the late great Mitch Hedberg once quipped:

"You can't make everyone happy all of the time and last night they were all at my show!"

;)

I guarantee there are people who have looked at a Helix, Axe, Kemper and seen there was no editor and not bought the Kemper. I know because I know people who have said they just can’t be bothered with all the leaning over and twiddling.

Then they weren't that serious about purchasing a Kemper. What % of guitar players do you think spend a majority of their time leaning over and twiddling on a computer? Seriously man, there is a segment of society that are tech-literate that love music, but love discussing it more than making it. For the most part, that's great, it populates the forums and we can all share information. But places like The Gear Page don't necessarily represent a large majority of guitarists. Most of the musicians I've encountered, including A-List Pros, aren't really all that obsessive about what they are playing, much less bitching about a lack of software for it. They use whatever tools are necessary because they work. Kemper just happens to stomp a mud hole in everything else and should never, in my opinion, be compared to a modeler. They just aren't the same beast. Software wouldn't change my opinion of that, ever.

I seriously doubt that anyone that is interested in a Kemper will not purchase it because it is lacking Editor software. There are still a lot of things that can be done with plugins/VSTs that a Kemper (or, any hardware for that matter) will probably never be able to do, and that is going to satisfy most folks that have to be glued to a computer screen. I bet there are a ton of players that don't even really take advantage of the Rig Manager.

Again, I'll be the first singing its praises if/when a software editor comes along, but I do not base how much I value what a Kemper is on that. I'd use one regardless.

As an aside, Kemper has much better customer service than most musical equipment manufacturers. I've never had any issues with their email response time...and it wasn't a scripted response. Massive kudos to them for that!

All good things to those who wait. :)

I'm excited about an eventual editor for the KPA, but I'm also a very patient person. Less tweaking right now, oftentimes means more playing, which is what it is all about. Win/win.

For those who are frustrated: change your mindset because the frustration is doing nothing but holding you back (possibly) in other aspects of your life. Or, at the very least, pick up your guitar/bass and de-stress. You'll feel better.

When Kemper does eventually release a badass GUI to go along with the KPA, it will be more than well worth the wait. I'd rather they take their time and do it right out of the gate, than to provide us with undercooked buggy software.

Fantastic guys, thanks! I've got a Warwick Dolphin, Ritter Roya and a Fly Bass. The Fly is 'technically' passive with active circuitry for the piezo.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out!

What kind of basses are you guys using with your Kemper? As of right now, all of my basses are active. Do you have a preference or any thoughts to weigh in on whether or not the Profiler is better with a passive setup vs. an active one?

Thanks!

skoczy Thank you! Yeah, I was really interested in the Kemper and then, due to life and whatnot, it fell off of my radar for just a bit. However, every time I would see one in a music store, it reminded me and the feeling of wanting to try it out resurfaced in a bad way about a month ago. An opportunity came up that I could not pass up on and thus, I've finally been Kemperized! :)