Posts by tony11122

Just wanted to tell everyone that helped THANK YOU!!!!!
    After checking both units to "CONSTANT LATENCY" the problem has stopped and never returned. :D
    For those of you that are using 2 of these at the same time, this is a wonderful feature!
    I am having a lot of fun exploring the mixed sounds of 2 different profiles without any problems now.

@flotto....The last firmware before the 2.5

OK, I spent a few hours today playing each unit individually with everything disconnected except for the guitar and headphones.
    You guys were right, I could not get either unit to duplicate the problem that I have been having.
    Next I connected the midi controller back up and still couldn't duplicate the problem. So now I am still stumped but also excited that the units are not the problem.
    I have a feeling that either the Radial Switchbone or the Liquid Chorus may be the problem because they both have buffers and the Radial has switch options for the second output for a ground lift (which I have ON) and also for polarity either 0 or 180 degrees. (That is set to 0)

I can't really eliminate the switcher box because that is how I split the signal to run to the 2 channel mixer in the powered speaker but I am up for suggestions. How would you proceed with the next level of troubleshooting?

Still haven't had time to detach everything and run just the Kemper and headphone but here is a list of what I use in the signal chain that might help trouble shoot this problem.
    I run 2 Kempers into an EV ZLX-12P. The signal chain goes Guitar--Buddy Guy Wah--Boss DS-1--Xotic RC Booster--Visual Sound Liquid Chorus--Radial JX2 Switchbone-----this splits into 2 outputs so one goes to each of the Kempers.-each Kemper monitor out goes to one of the 2 inputs on the EV ZLX-12P.
    Both of the Kempers are always on and I blend the amp profiles together to make one sound like having 2 amps on at the same time.
    Also have an Art X-15 ultrafoot controlling the midi switching on both Kempers

I have a problem that I can't solve. When my Kemper is working right, it sounds awesome. However, once about every 10 minutes the sound changes from a nice thick tone to a more thin tone with more icepick highs. The crazy thing is that almost anything I do like switching patches, or pulling out my guitar cord and putting it back in, or pulling out the midi cable and putting it back in, etc. fixes the problem. Then it plays fine for awhile but pretty soon, I have the same problem again. I have changed out all of my chords, tried different guitars, bypassed my pedal board, and still this continues. The last operating system upgrade seemed to help a little but didn't completely get rid of it. I have been looking for the answer outside of the Kemper up until now but I talked to a tech at Sweetwater the other day and he said that he had a similar problem with his Kemper and suggested that I post here to find out if others are having that same problem. Any suggestions on a permanent fix will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Hey Viabcroce,
    I haven't found an FRFR that was actually Full Range Flat Response yet. IMHO they all color the sound in one way or another. BUT, I have a 2X12 Kustom tuck and roll cabinet in sparkle red that is too pretty not to take out in public. So I have to give this a shot and try to get as close as I can to an FRFR without modification to the cab.
    At this point, I am willing to sacrifice a certain amount of esthetic quality for a more promiscuous attitude. 8o

http://www.parts-express.com/d…guide-1-threaded--270-312

I have some old 2X12 speaker cabs that I would like to turn into FRFR cabs for use with the Kemper. The woofer part was easy enough but I just wanted to find a horn that would fit into a 12 inch speaker hole without having to modify the baffle.
    Now I just have to find the right compression driver and crossover network so any suggestion on those would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks!

Welcome! I personally love the profiles that I bought from THE AMP FACTORY. You can listen to samples of the rigs on that site and see if anything sounds like what you are after before you buy too.
    They have a very wide variety of amps to choose from. Good luck!

It makes perfect sense to me. So now when I'm recording using the main outs and say I've taken 2db off the treble (main output EQ), I can now hear that in my headphones whereas before I wouldn't so what I would be hearing in my headphones was different to what is being recorded. It just gives you a truer reference as to what is going through the main output.

So why dont you just take treble off in the amp/eq section. For me, the main eq is needed to adjust the output ( pa/ guitar cab or whatever). For example: my behringer

active monitor has too much highs, so i do adjust them, my headphones ( beyerdynamic dt 770 ) sound perfect.

Is this option switchable?

That's exactly what I thought... I use the Main eq to "correct" the sound on other devices like you...

I also use the main eq to "correct" the sound of the monitor speakers. I use a very flat set of headphones to tweak all of the rigs for a control. That way they are all "EQ"ed the same. Is there a way to shut this off or bypass it?

Nick,
    I am selling both of my Fractals. I had an Ultra and a Standard. I love the Kemper format and the sound. It took me a few days to figure out how to get the best sounds out of it but once I did, the Fractals are no longer needed in my set up. The 2 most important things for me to get through my head while using the Kemper were:
    1. Most of the profiles sound best the way the were recorded using Full Range Flat Response speakers. (FRFR)
    2. Garbage in, garbage out. A bad profile is a bad profile and is really hard to fix. A great profile is a great profile and will probably need little or no tweaking.
    Some of the contributors are great at making profiles! Also there are some commercial sites like The Amp Factory that have samples for you to hear before you buy.
    If I download a profile that doesn't sound good to me within the first few seconds, I just move on to the next one until I find what I want. This is to be expected because some of them are done in a bedroom by beginners with minimal quality equipment and some are done in studios by pros with maximum quality equipment.
    Good luck!

Hey Viabcroce,
    I was trying to say the same thing that you said. The English language is so ambiguous sometimes but I think that is how lawyers make a living here in the USA. ;)
    Let me clarify a little. When one takes the cab sims off, one looses part of the original signal chain of the profile. That was an issue for me because in most cases I liked the cab and/or speaker that was in the profile to start with. It is hard to find one guitar speaker that can do it all well. So my intention here is to use the Kemper WITH the cab sims BUT to try to EQ the signature sonic foot print out of a guitar speaker so that it works more like an FRFR. I think that I might have a good chance of doing that with an EV Classic 12 because they don't color things as much as a Vintage 30 or Greenback.
    I see you are from Roma! I've been there a couple of times. Very cool place. The scooter drivers are amazing!

jamme61
    There is too much coloring and frequency canceling for me. I tried taking the cab sims off but then I had issues because the profiles have different speakers and/or cabs. So it didn't work to try to use one particular cab or one speaker for all of the profiles. The hard part of this for me was accepting that the Kemper technology actually works right. In other words, I had played through Line 6 for many years and that technology never quite made it for me. Then I went to Fractal for several years, much better IMO but still had to play with different power amps, speakers, etc. because I never thought that they sounded that good through FRFR speakers. The Kemper actually sounds right to me through FRFR speakers using the cab sims. Now here is the ambiguity. I am finding out that, not all but many FRFR speakers have their own signature coloration. They might be full range but flat response is another matter. So I have to go in and set the global EQ for each different FRFR that I use. I have a very flat set of excellent headphones that I use to tweak ALL of my rigs. This gives me a "control." Then if I change an FRFR speaker, I just have to reset the global EQ to that FRFR speaker and all of my rigs sound right.
    guitarnet70
    You may be absolutely right on this but I haven't had time to try to EQ one yet to see how close I can get it. Some of them do have huge frequency humps and/or dips but others are more flat. The amount of global EQing for the speakers that have very large variances may well be out of the manipulation range of the 4 band bass, middle, treble, and presence available in the Kemper global EQ. I suspect that I will only end up with a percentage of the original tone available through a "true" FRFR but if it is close enough to get over 90%, for me it would be great to only have to bring a little one 12 cab and a powerhead to band practice.

Has anyone had any luck using the GLOBAL EQ on the powerhead (using the internal amp) to leave the cab sims on while using guitar speakers as opposed to FRFR speakers?
    If so, would you post the type of speaker and the settings on the EQ that you use to "flatten" the speaker contour/coloration? The settings will obviously be different for every type/brand but some of them like the EV Classic 12 don't have as much coloration as Celestions or Eminence Red Coats so I am hoping it will work if I can find the right settings.

Thanks guys! I tried these settings out today and they are very cool! I actually ending up using them on another rig besides what I was trying to do with the Journey rig.
    Is there any other delay in the Kemper? I still need the longer delay for the Journey along with the doubler. Even a stomp box delay would be great to use along with these settings.