Posts by Tpen

Hi folks,
    I usually use my Adam AX7's but recently I tried out the alto 112 speaker and liked it but switched to the Yamaha DXR12.

Unfortunately, I am really not having a lot of luck with it. It is very boomy and sounds like there is a lot of reverb in the sound.

I've tried all the different settings but can't get it to sound good. I play mostly distorted profiles but there is no note definition. Just sounds like a mess.

Any thoughts? Should I have gone with the DXR10?
    Honestly, the Alto 112 sounded better to me.

I am hoping to hear some ideas. Otherwise, I am going to return it.

Thanks!
    -T

Sorry guys. I know I am asking what might be a question already asked a 100 times but let me try to be more clear. Up until recently, all I ever knew was the 2x12 experience. I don't know anything about how a PA sounds.

Coloring aside, for instance, does a single CLR sound similar to a very neutral 1x12 guitar cab in terms of how it distributes the sound?

I should have just asked that from the beginning :)
    -T

Hi,

I have been playing through Adam A7X for a few months now and loving them. Recently I decided to sell my Carvin legacy 3 amp which has been collecting dust.

I just turned it on to make sure it worked Ok and I realized I really missed the big sound coming out of a 2x12 cab. I had also missed some of the audio experience of the cab and the v30 speakers but I didn't miss what I considered to be an out-of-control sound. The monitors give such a focused and accurate sound.

Anyway, what should I do with the Kemper to get a bigger sound that will fill a garage? The monitors are good as long as you sit in the sweet spot but once you move around, it isn't the same. Would a 10" PA speaker solve this problem? Do I need two of them? Do I need 12"?

When I had tried to connect the kemper to a tube amp or my solid state amp through to the V30 2x12, I wasn't happy with the experience. I guess I am looking for the Adam experience but with more sound to fill the room.

Thank you.
    -T

Ok thank you. I will try that.

How about locating your favorites then? I see how I can browse by author but is there a quicker way to access favorites?

Thanks.

-T

Hi,

This may seem like a simple question but I can't figure out how to save presets. Let's say I have selected an amplifier, have configured all the effects, and want to save it for quick retrieval. I don't want to scroll through 300 profiles every day to find the 4 I am using.

Can someone point me to where I can read about doing that?

Thank you.

-T

Hey folks,

A friend I am collaborating with listened to a couple of samples I sent him from the Kemper into sonar and he told me he was hoping for a little more body in the sound. He uses 5 separate mics to capture sound from cabs and asked me if I can record direct out as well as mic the kemper through my monitors at the same time and see how it comes out.

I am not really sure what he means by "getting a fuller sound" and am wondering what might be missing. I wonder if the same thing can be accomplished through effects.

Any thoughts? Anyone else find recordings of the kemper not sounding full enough?

Thanks,
    -T

Sorry I wasn't clear. In the Stack selector, go to Aplifier and play with the following settings:

Definition
    Power sagging
    Pick (this is what I was referring to when I said "attack")

-T

I get what you are saying but that's not exactly my point. Am I good enough to tell which one is koa and which is mahogany? Probably note but I will tell there is a difference.

Whereas, it sounds to me as if at some point most distortion profiles, especially at higher gain levels sound the same. Also, it seems to be more consistently homogeneous on the highs for some reason.

Not complaining but I am curious if others are experiencing the same and if there is perhaps something I should try doing differently.

I seem to favor the following profiles thus far: TAF slo 100, TAF Mesa mk2 Via mod.

Maybe it's just the nature of going through studio monitors...

-T

Hi,

Just a one-week user and primarily with high-gain lead tones. I also got the Adam a7x. I am satisfied for the most part although I feel like I can't sense any of the characteristics of the wood in the guitar. It's like playing with active pickups through tube amps.

Whether I am playing my all mahogany, maple top or my koa, I can't tell a thing.

I and tell pickup differences but can't really hear any natural aspect of the wood.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    -T

Thank you. How about when not recording and the computer is not on? What should control volume? I assume the volume on the Roland.

Thanks again.

-T

Hello. New user here and need some help with something that is probably very basic for people experienced in this.

My setup: kemper - Roland quad capture interface - yamaha HS8.

The question I have is that I didn't understand the relationship between all the volumes:
    Kemper input volume (I have adjusted the sensitivities ok)
    Kemper speaker volume setting. I only experimented very little with this in an attempt do minimize some thin highs.
    Kemper volume knob
    Kemper master volume knob
    Roland interface input volume for clipping control
    Roland interface out volume
    Yamaha level setting (currently set to max)

I am having a hard time figuring out what an ideal setup is. For example, how much volume and master volume adjustments should I be making? How much volume amplification do I want for Roland interface making?

Thank you.

-T

Thanks. I will try both of the above.

I was just wondering if the Yamaha is the problem. I just don't know anything about studio monitors. I tried the yamaha and also the Adam a7x and chose the yamaha. The Adam had a very clean sound but it had a bit too much presence to my ears for high-gain guitars. Also, I felt like the difference in the subwoofer size was noticeable but I might be wrong.

-T

Hello,

Just purchased a kemper and could use some help.

I am coming from 2x12 tube amps (Marshall JVM, carvin legacy 1,3). I also have an ampeg vh150 solid state which has an amazing high distortion lead tone.

I almost returned the kemper because I tried it through the amps and wasn't getting a good tone. Then I put it through an old alesis RA100 monitor set I had from the 90's for a keyboard and it actually sounded not bad.

I went and purchased two yamaha HS8s speakers and it sounds really good - for the most part.

I am going from the kemper to a Roland quad capture interface and then out to the yamaha active monitors.

The lows and mids sound very good but the highs are a bit thin to my ears particularly on high-gain lead tones.

I adjusted the clean sensitivity and left the distorted sensitivity right at 0. I also have the yamaha pretty high and play in relatively high volume.

My preferred tones are high-gain leads. My guitar has a dimarzio evo on the bridge and I play with some delay but no reverb or anything else.

Is the problem the small twitter on the yamahas or is this perhaps a setting? I also have not purchased any new sounds. I am trying what is in there - particularly some metal core samples that came with the kemper.

At thoughts on how to improve the setup to get blazing, highly distorted lead sounds? Is the yamaha the issue?

Thank you!

-T

First, thanks to everyone who has responded.

I will have to look at these options but having played through a 2x12 cab for 30 years now, I am having a hard time accepting that I can get similar sound through studio monitors.

I wish there was some store where one could try these options out.

Either way, I better order the Kemper! :)

-T