Posts by DukeOURL

DukeOURL: Separate wordclock required? Didn't know that, thanks for the clarification. Those things start real cheap and go to really expensive.

yeah man... this spdif thang is really bumming me out... I get CK's reluctance but still there's got to be a better way... of course that's not going to happen LOL! :)

Still, having to deal with it in the studio environment is a pain.. who wants to spend an extra grand on interfacing the unit to make it a slave... I'm thinking of the guenterhaas approach of just doing analog I/O and dropping the effects from the KPA... substituting plugins at the board.. control the whole thing on a single mono track for amped and one for DI... it's like going back to way we recorded with amps... so not much of a loss; just convenience. :wacko:

As I mentioned, this topic has been discussed before and Mr CK has explicitly stated, "Not going to happen." A simple workaround was suggested through the use of a format converter like this one: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/SRC2496.aspx . The product costs 166 euros and will enable you to use the Kemper in a 48 kHz studio environment.

yeah but... it requires that the studio provide a separate word clock generator in order to use the KPA unit as a slave. (ref p9) manual

otherwise it's a pretty cool unit for converting to 48k... but only does half the job from what I've gathered...

yeah there'as tons of real book stuff in my files.. I've got the entire collection, english and german in pdf as well.. everything.. it's great stuff to build your chops with or do solo gigs.. gotcha band and 30,000 songs.. what more do you need?

I enjoy just applying styles to them in BAB and real tracks and sit back and get off.. great chops busters...

There's so much to BIAB that you'll never get bored with it.. there's tons of guitar lessons as well.. I use it all the time.. find a real tracks drum groove that feels good and get it on.. add a frettless bass (check out the Jaco style.. nice) and a piano n organ... ok.. gotta go jam some!

hey man... ther's tons of biab files/music for free on the net.. grab some and start playing with styles on a tune.. you don't need to know anything... the power of the application will start to shine through... then change an instrument around like a keyboard or bass part... use real tracks..

then once you've found a couple of styles you like... plug in a progression... 12 bar blues or something... repeat above steps and start jamming!

man once i'm in the basement playin' the guitar... ain't no hour gonna get me back in the heat!!! gotta do my thang... gettin that groove on. mamma looses, guitar wins every time!

I guess using BIAB will safe a lot of time to make demos....

I use it all the time for building the basic tracks for the rhythm section and the structure of the arrangement.. use the real tracks versions and the players sound really good... I use the drums for click track references to set the groove of most everything I record... at least until the percussionist gets his parts in.. and do the same for each of the others, keys and bass.. of course you can spend hours just finding the style for the tune.. but hey it's part of the fun... i guess. oh yeah and I build the charts from it to distribute to the players as well.. makes it easy to do projects with my keyboardist in Los Angeles and bassist in Burlington NC and me in Atlanta...

couldn't do that in the 80's... man

so I use the leather strap when ever I move the unit around.. but what I've been thinking about is replacing the strap buttons with a contraption that would allow the unit to be locked onto a stand and then be able to rotate and lock the head at different angles.. it'd be great for studio use but also for live work.. it would make the unit more secure on a mixer stand..

now if I just had the time and energy to find the parts and make it happen...

I agree guenter... if you can't say something nice or positive... maybe just leave it alone.. of course one should be able to express the negative side of their feelings about any given subject.. and I think we've found constructive ways to get our points across on various subject matter here in kemperland.. but the bashing of an individual is not acceptable in any given case.. some people are just too podunk and insipid to respond in a meaningful manner.

on the positive side.. Andy gets tons of love in this house... one would be hard pressed to find overwhelming evidence of negative based reviews or opinions of his work.. his profiles are excellent as his professionalism.

did you swap out the pickups or electronics? I understand that the latter years have bumble bee caps and CTS already installed... but I don't know if I'm feelin' the burst buckers... seems a Lollar or a bit more focused pickup might be appropriate. I'd like honduran mahogany.. but I think the newer models are different. I like the tighness of the grain.. very straight.. just looked great and was very light.

I guess what is going to be my first Les Paul in almost 30 years probably won't be the last... I've wondered why it's taken me so long to get another... oh yeah.. the outrageous cost of owning vintage... there's nothing like a 50's LP.

So.. maybe a 59' then find a 58 or 57 gold top.. I wonder about the gold top as well... I've seen a very nice chocolate back 57 for a good price.. under 2K. it'd be a nice project guitar..

I can agree with "to each his own" concept until.... one gets in the studio .. lays down an unbelievable track.. you're deep into the mix... and you're hearing an irritating "hiss" sound on the track... no matter how much you work on it... it sounds like crap.. so out comes the miracle software to strip the track of its hiss and along with it the upper harmonics... so much for unbelievable.... all because you were too cheap or just thought you were in vogue "wanna be like Jimi".... sorry can't drink that koolaid.

gimmie a good... nice and quiet... with all of the instruments upper harmonics that it'll feed me... let me talk out what I don't want after it's been recorded with EQ.. it's better to have it and capture it than to have lost it before it was ever recorded.