Posts by Uno4Kemper

Will it work with the Remote or a Stage

The box can work with an UnO4Kemper equipped FCB1010 (connected to the box with a single cable) or with a Remote which uses a separate network connection - the box communicates with the Profiler through 2-way MIDI.

Since it was designed a few years ago I'm not sure about compatibility with the Stage - if the MIDI implementation of Stage and Profiler are identical it should work, but it's definitely not tested.

Sorry, would someone mind clarifying what 'auto-configuration' means in this context?

From the old spec (when it was still called MIDI-CI) :

"MIDI-CI assumes and requires bidirectional communication. Once a MIDI-CI connection is established between devices, query and response messages define what capabilities each device has. MIDI-CI then negotiates or auto-configures to use those features that are common between the devices. MIDI-CI provides test mechanisms when enabling new features. If a test fails, then devices fall back to using MIDI 1.0 for that feature. MIDI-CI improves MIDI capabilities in several key areas. "

It's basically very similar to USB today : when you plug in any USB device into your PC, negotiation allows the PC to know if it's a mouse, a harddisk, a printer, an audio card... Auto-configuration allows your PC to adapt to the available features of that specific device.

Kemper already implemented this kind of functionality using "MIDI 1.0". Any MIDI controller can connect and set up a 2-way communication protocol to request a certain set of info about the Profiler rigs and effects.

The "extra" discrimination / processing described in the video that's required in a Dante network must surely detrimentally affect latency.

Audinate publishes following Dante specs :

1 switch hop: 0.15ms, 3 switch hops: 0.25ms, 5 switch hops: 0.5ms, 10 switch hops: 1ms, +10 switch hops: 5ms

These values are not affected by the number of devices or the number of channels used.

Anyway - I'm not at all an expert in this matter, I have no experience with AVB, and therefore I have no preference whatsoever for one or the other technology. I'm confident that Kemper will pick the right one for their Profiler2+Remote2 8)

Excellent video and great explanation of AVB. Thanks for sharing.

... although I'm not sure his Dante vs. AVB arguments make much sense... "Dante does have some serious networking problems which are being solved in AVB"? Dante uses DSCP to give audio higher priority - something supported by any decent switch, without need for a more expensive AVB capable switch.

But when you say "DANTE please", why not ask for the most obvious (which I believe would be yet another step ahead of the competition for Kemper): plug your guitar into the Remote, and have the signal streamed through Dante over the network cable to the Profiler, along with the Remote commands. Perfectly feasible - no latency - no risk for network priority issues - one single cable to the rack...

Ich spreche kein Deutsch, also hoffe ich, dass diese Übersetzung von Google Translate nicht zu lächerlich klingt ...

Ich wollte den deutschen UnO4Kemper-Benutzern nur mitteilen, dass eine deutsche Bedienungsanleitung jetzt auf unserer Website https://www.fcb1010.eu/ zum Download zur Verfügung steht. Ein großes Dankeschön an Peter Reinhardt, der die Initiative ergriffen hat, um die Übersetzung durchzuführen und das Ergebnis mit der (UnO4)Kemper-Benutzergemeinschaft zu teilen!

Well, if you want to audition them - at five minutes per Rig, four hours per day, it will only take you 197 days and one hour to hear each one :)

It's comforting to see that people around here are more concerned with tone than with maths... ;)
    I'm an outsider on this forum so I noticed that my maths tell me something different. 5 minutes per rig, 4 hours per day means 48 rigs per day so that would be closer to 1000 days. To be more exact : start auditioning today, and you will have heard them all on August 16 2020. I hope you still remember what the first one sounded like at that moment, else you will need to start over...

I wonder, what will be the difference to the regulary "TinyBox", and is the "JackBox" also for standalone (adding 4 expressions in different Midi Scenarios w/o Kemper or TinyBox)???

Sorry aehaem, forgot to answer your questions.

First question is answered in the mean time on our forum at http://forum.tinybox.rocks/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=292
    JackBox currently is not intended to be used standalone, because it cannot be programmed. It just sends a fixed CC number for each of the 4 connected pedals. The TinyBox programming adds all the power to it (although you could achieve the same thing by using a laptop with MIDI interface and some MIDI mapping application). TinyBox also optionally supplies power for the JackBox.

Is it possible to connect the TinyBox directly to the Kemper, without any foot controller, and control the KPA via an iPad wirelessly? Thanks in advance.

Yes, that's possible. You can see that in action in the demo video : http://www.tinybox.rocks/demo/demo.mp4 around 0:30. It works equally well with no foot controller connected.
    Major difference with regular MIDI apps is of course the 2-way communication with the Profiler, which the TinyBox provides. When you touch an effect button, the button doesn't light up because you touched it, but because the Profiler has reported that the effect is activated. When you touch a rig button, the rig gets selected but also the effect button states will get updated (along with the effect names) to reflect the current state at all time.

it is still on my TODO list to port the existing software to something like a Raspberry Pi

Done. The TinyBox4Kemper server software now runs on Raspberry Pi. You can make the server start automatically, which means you don't need a keyboard/mouse/screen connected to the rPi in order to use it. It just runs somewhere in the rack and you connect to it using your iPad or smartphone. I tested it succesfully with a Raspberry 1 Model B, Raspberry 2, Raspberry 3 and even with a Raspberry Zero W, which currently sells for an amazing 6 Euro - WIFI included. (with a size of 65mm × 30mm I could even build that one into the TinyBox, but I don't plan to do that)

On stage I don‘t use (and don‘t want to use) a PC.

If the TinyBox had an built in WLAN modul, it would make sense to buy and use it.

In my original post I mentioned "following quite a lot of dead ends".. This was related to exactly that: building in the WLAN functionality was my initial plan. I tried several options but unfortunately I didn't find a solution which offered sufficient reliability at a low cost. When you talk about building in a web server which can interprete MIDI messages and turn them into a realtime status display on any mobile device - you are actually talking about an embedded PC. So you would be using a PC on stage after all - just small enough to be hidden inside a small black box...
    Anyway it is still on my TODO list to port the existing software to something like a Raspberry Pi, which is let's say slightly less expensive than a Macbook. I first need to get convinced of the reliability of such system. On the other hand by spending another 35 USD you could have a full backup system in your back pocket, so that wouldn't be too bad. To be continued.

After working on this every now and then for a very long time, this has become a "real" product earlier this week - I mean something you can actually buy. (serial nr. 001 is on its way to joogi by the way). For those wondering what this is about, you can find the most detailed info by downloading the user manual over here .

I also decided to release an add-on for connecting up to 4 expression pedals which are fully programmable (they can control multiple devices simultaneously, send any CC number, do different things depending on active rig, have a programmable sweep range and sweep curve, you name it). More info on that add-on can be found in its own manual over here

If anyone wants to discuss these boxes or has any questions, i would suggest to move to the dedicated TinyBox forum (which is alive but has no activity yet) - it's over here.

As a rule, blindly reversing a chip is asking for trouble

Agreed. Moreover, the OP states that "I know its connected and working in some capacity". Having the unit partly working with the firmware chip reversed would be... kind of magic!
    Trying another FCB1010 is indeed a good idea.

There seems to be some incorrect information here. There is no such thing as "reflushing the ram" (?) or other initialization - this is probably taken from the UnO manual which has nothing to do with UnO4Kemper.
    The UnO4Kemper manual is here , the available key combinations at startup are described here .

The best way to test the FCB1010/Profiler integration is starting up the FCB1010 without cables connected, and check that the display shows "--" and not "00". This way you are sure you have the UnO4Kemper firmware installed.
    Next it's easiest to put the Profiler in performance mode and select any performance, not the first one. Then connect both MIDI cables. If the FCB1010 display now shows the current performance number you are sure there is 2-way communication. If not, there is an issue at any point in the MIDI chain. So far I have never heard of any defect or malfunctioning in the Kemper part of the MIDI chain, so if you are 100% certain about both MIDI cables, the issue must be inside the FCB1010 (unfortunately every now and then I notice a report of bad solder joints inside an FCB1010). Most of the time such issue in the MIDI IN part, because the MIDI OUT path is an essential part of the footcontroller and any issue there is noticed right after purchase. This is not the case with the MIDI IN path.

Hi Chris and Pamplemousse,

sorry, I don't watch this forum very frequently. Here are some answers :

- indeed no status emails sent around yet, but I will do so soon now. I actually have almost everything available to officially release this product. Still working on a housing and other practical stuff
    - "tinybox rises the FCB to the level of the remote. am I right?" Not really, because the Remote is designed by Kemper as a dedicated foot controller for the Profiler : it is fair to say that no third party device will ever have the same level of integration as Kempers own product. TinyBox focuses on 2 use cases which currently are not the main focus of Kemper : controlling multiple MIDI devices next to the Profiler, and showing realtime status info on a large screen. These 2 features will be available for all TinyBox users, whether they use the UnO4Kemper equipped FCB1010 or the Kemper Remote for remote control. In both cases you will have the advantage of easy programming of the extra MIDI functionality.
    - communicating with other apps : that's an interesting scenario. It will not be supported at the moment of release, but definitely something I could look into later on, since it should be technically feasible.

Would it be possible to run from the midi out of the KPA and back into it's midi in and control things like volume pedal levels and such by midi cc? Basically send cc messages to itself?

FYI : that's what the GORDIUS TinyBox does: run MIDI OUT of the KPA to the TinyBox and from there back into the MIDI IN of the KPA. Then a KPA rig or effect change can trigger any combination of extra MIDI messages (CC, SysEx, ...) to the KPA or to other devices connected to KPA MIDI THRU.

TinyBox4Kemper website

Behringer FCB1010 Factory Reset HOWTO

• Keep footswitches 1 and 6 pressed while switching on the unit.
    • The display will show 09 with flashing decimal points, and then count down slowly to 00. At this point all the patches etc. are reset to factory defaults.

Doing a factory reset is indeed a good starting point, UnO4Kemper indeed also uses the 1+6 key combination for a factory reset, just a small remark that the text above describes a Behringer factory reset. With UnO4Kemper there is no countdown from 09 to 00, the reset is immediate (doesn't need to clear any patches, just a few switch assignments)