Posts by Uno4Kemper

I'd love to see a new firmware version that also supports the looper. :thumbup:

I get that question very often. My reply is always the same. As far as I know looper control was never intended to be available through MIDI, only from the Remote. The Kemper MIDI chart doesn't specify any MIDI commands for looper control, so officially there aren't any. The fact that someone reverse engineered the MIDI communication and found some MIDI commands for looper control in some Profiler firmware version doesn't change that fact. I wouldn't consider it very professional to release UnO4Kemper firmware "with looper control" based some MIDI sniffing. Actually I happen to read somewhere in a recent FW4.0 thread that this looper MIDI control is now "broken" (wrong wording : you can't "break" something which is never released) - if that's the case it just confirms that adding looper control to UnO4Kemper would have been a bad idea isn't it. I have no problem restating what I always said : if you want full Profiler remote control, don't hesitate and go for "the real thing" - go to the Kemper website, it's only a few clicks away ! :thumbup:

One idea is to introduce a Profiler setting "WAH Pedal to Morph", similar to the current "WAH Pedal to Pitch". This way you could keep using one of the FCB1010 pedals as wah pedal, and program it in the Profiler to become a whammy pedal on rigs with pitch shifter effect, and/or become a morph pedal on rigs which have morphing settings programmed into. Of course this would need be implemented at the Profiler side, so I can't comment on whether things will actually be implemented this way. Let's give the Kemper team the necessary time to sort out all details, and we'll see what the official release will contain.

Time for an update/correction. With the beta release of FW4.0, you may have noticed that the original idea of having a setting "WAH Pedal to Morph" has not been retained. Instead, the opposite option has been added to allow multiple functions with 1 expression pedal : "Morph to WAH" lets you use a morph pedal (which sends CC #11) as Wah pedal where needed. As a result, we have decided to work on a UnO4Kemper firmware update, which will allow you to configure each of the 2 expression pedals to any of 4 possible functions : Volume (CC#07), Wah (CC#01), Pitch (CC#04) or Morph (CC#11).

In short : current UnO4Kemper firmware supports triggering of the morph transition with the slot switches. Future UnO4Kemper firmware v.1.4 will add support for morphing with an expression pedal. No release date known, but it shouldn't take longer than a week or so to have this update ready for release.

@Uno4Kemper:
    Is it necessary, to assign one of the board pedals to the function "morph"?
    And how does this work?
    (after updating the Kemper in February of course!)
    ;)

One idea is to introduce a Profiler setting "WAH Pedal to Morph", similar to the current "WAH Pedal to Pitch". This way you could keep using one of the FCB1010 pedals as wah pedal, and program it in the Profiler to become a whammy pedal on rigs with pitch shifter effect, and/or become a morph pedal on rigs which have morphing settings programmed into. Of course this would need be implemented at the Profiler side, so I can't comment on whether things will actually be implemented this way. Let's give the Kemper team the necessary time to sort out all details, and we'll see what the official release will contain.

You can take just a single parameter and morph that to achieve what you are after-the concept of morphing covers all those applications

I'm only sideways involved in the whole Kemper story (only from an "external control" part of view - UnO4Kemper) and I believe the above can't be over emphasized. In the past I have been designing rather complex and highly programmable MIDI controllers, to enable people for instance to adjust multiple parameters of a preset/rig with 1 expression pedal, and make that behavior preset dependent. All you needed for that was a high end MIDI controller and a few hours of programming. Now this morphing feature lets you do exactly that with the Profiler, but without any programming - only a few natural turns on the knobs and you are done. Our GORDIUS MIDI controllers allow you to program a switch to be momentary, or latching, or both depending on how long you keep the switch pressed. But it does need some programming skills to get it all set up correctly. This morphing feature can be used as a continuous control, as a toggling effect or as a momentary effect. Out of the box, zero programming. Just saying. I'm not a guitar player so I can't comment on the tonal possibilities this feature brings, I was just impressed by the "user interaction" side of things - how extremely easy it is to set up and use, while supporting many different use cases. Very much in line with the whole Profiler usability design.

I just wanted to let all UnO4Kemper users know that your UnO4Kemper firmware does contain support for the upcoming Profiler morph feature if it has firmware version v.1.3.a or higher. (v.1.3.a was released March 17 2014...) Clicking a rig switch briefly will toggle between the base and "morphed" version of the rig - keeping a rig switch pressed will activate the morphed sound for as long as the switch is pressed. Using one of the FCB1010 expression pedals for morphing will most probably also be supported without need for a UnO4Kemper firmware upgrade.
    Big thanks to the Kemper R&D team for sharing the necessary info in such an early stage - and of course congratulations to the whole team for the great new features which are on their way to all Happy Kempers ! :)

You'd better disconnect the FCB1010 from the KPA before starting a calibration. UnO4Kemper writes "---" on the screen when the KPA disconnects, apparently that is what happened during calibration ("--- at toe down"), calibration itself only shows (hex) values on the display.
    The calibration itself is identical with original firmware or UnO(4Kemper) firmware. Not reaching the full range is a known issue which is caused by the pedal sensor not being aligned correctly. You need to open up the FCB1010 to correct that - I believe you will find detailed instructions on the FCB1010 Yahoo group.

Not adding looper control to the UnO4Kemper firmware is just a principal matter, not a technical limitation. UnO4Kemper already uses NRPN for bi-directional communication with the KPA. Adding looper control wouldn't be hard to do. I just didn't do it so far because as far as I know this feature was intended to be exclusive for the Kemper Remote. The fact that looper control was reverse engineered and published by Kemper users doesn't change this intention in my eyes, so I don't have any plans to add this feature unless it becomes part of the officially released MIDI implementation chart of the Profiler.

Someone has to be in control of the Kemper and there will the issue of the KPR sending MIDI OUT to the FCB. So I don't know if there is a problem there

No problem at all. The Remote will be an additional way of controlling the Profiler, the MIDI OUT just sends the current Profiler state to the FCB for keeping the LEDs in sync. Already now you can control the Profiler both with the FCB and with the frontpanel buttons, and either way the FCB LEDs are in sync, showing the current status thanks to the Profiler MIDI OUT. Kemper has already stated that it will be possible to connect 2 Remotes, 1 on stage, 1 backstage. Also in that scenario there is no "master" or "slave".

As you know, the FCB1010 UnO4Kemper firmware was introduced some time ago with the specific target to "bridge the gap" until the real thing came along - and as you most definitely know that moment has now come :)
    I'm sure there will be many many UnO4Kemper users who will happily switch to using the Kemper Remote as soon as they can, and will get rid of the old FCB1010. But when looking at the Remote layout, some of you might consider yet another scenario ( only in case you don't mind a pretty large and heavy pedalboard ... ) : the UnO4Kemper FCB might well serve as a companion to the Remote, in order to give you direct access to everything you need and more :
    - instead of toggling between rig selection and looper control, you could keep the Remote with its high quality switches in Looper mode constantly, and use the Slot1->Slot5 switches of the companion FCB1010.
    - instead of (or next to) combining multiple effects in one effect switch, you might extend the 4 Remote effect switches with 5 more FCB1010 effect switches
    - instead of buying external expression pedals, you might reuse the 2 FCB1010 expr.pedals (if you can live with how they feel and behave of course - we all know that the quality of those pedals varies heavily from unit to unit)

Just to put my post in the correct perspective : I'm very excited with the release of the Kemper Remote, because it looks like a very high quality well thought of product. Knowing that UnO4Kemper was just an intermediate solution, and that the resale value of an FCB1010 is not very high, I thought I'd suggest an alternative for just throwing it away. I might even look into a new firmware version which fully supports such a "Kemper Remote Extension" scenario, if possible. For instance, when the Remote display gives you all visual feedback you need, we might get rid of the 2-way-communication for the FCB1010, and run a single MIDI cable only. We'll see. For now consider it just a heads up to the upgrading masses not to rush into throwing away your old gear... ;)

for complicated reasons the Uno4Kemper chip can only communicate with the Kemper on midi channel one

Just for your info : the latest UnO4Kemper firmware works around that issue, and allows you to use the Kemper on any MIDI channel. What's more important: 2 days ago I got a reply from the Kemper R&D team, mentioning that a later Profiler firmware update will solve this issue, so old-time UnO4Kemper users will also be able to control the Profiler on any MIDI channel. Actually I wanted to mention this here because I find that quite amazing : in the middle of the heat of the Remote release (for sure very busy times for the R&D team), this same R&D team takes the time to do a firmware change which probably only benefits 3rd party controllers. Great company.

update: Uno4kemper v1.3a (also applies to v1.1 I think) Minimum Volume data changed for volume pedal when "manually" switching from performance-mode to tuner and back to performance-mode.

With the UnO4Kemper firmware the FCB1010 sends a fixed MIDI CC range of 0-127. (You can check this with any MIDI monitor application to be sure). So if minimum volume changes after switching to/from performance mode, I would check if the selected rig maybe has a limited volume range programmed.

On initial boot-up of fcb1010 with kemper in performance-mode the volume pedal works fine and will trigger tuning-mode (reliably does this much better than v1.1).

The tuner-mode auto-trigger is functionality fully implemented in the KPA, not in the FCB1010, so different UnO4Kemper firmware versions won't change anything with regards to this Kemper feature

The Uno4Kemper requires Channel 1 or OMNI.

Hi Timo,
    actually the UnO4Kemper doesn't require use of Channel 1. To make it really plug and play it auto-adapts to whatever MIDI channel the KPA uses for 2-way communication.
    I just sniffed the MIDI communication to find out the cause of this problem. When the KPA is set to channel 15, it sometimes sends CC00 messages on channel 15, but sometimes also on channel 01, which makes the UnO4Kemper "auto-adapt" back to channel 1, and communication stops. the CC47 messages sent by the KPA seem to be always sent on channel 1. This can cause UnO4Kemper to send a "next performance" command on ch.15, then receive a CC47 on channel 1, and therefore the release message of the up switch is sent on channel 1, not processed by the KPA, and the KPA keeps scrolling through performances as if the up-switch is kept pressed. All problems will be solved if you could make sure that all outgoing MIDI messages are sent on the channel the KPA is programmed to.
    Thanks!
    Xavier

I have read a similar issue here :
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…Kemper-Perform-Mode-issue
    So first thing to check is that the KPA is set to "OMNI" mode or to MIDI channel 1.

Apparently something has changed with regards to the use of MIDI channels in the latest KPA firmware. I didn't have the time yet to check what exactly (or to contact the dev team about it). I'm pretty sure the issue is related to the fact that UnO4Kemper auto-adapts its MIDI channel: by default it sends on MIDI channel 1, but when it receives a MIDI message from the KPA on a different channel, it switches to using that new channel. When I tested this with earlier KPA firmware versions, I noticed that the KPA kept using MIDI channel 1 for outgoing MIDI messages, even when it was programmed to use a different channel. Maybe this changed recently. I need to do some monitoring on the 2-way communication to find out what causes the unstable behavior now. In any case everything seems to work fine when you keep MIDI channel set to 1 or omni in the KPA settings.

one thing I would love to see is the name of whichever effect I just activated for a second or two on the LG display, before the rig's name is displayed again.

Done. See Gordius forum for details. Thanks to Timo for providing this info (effect names for each of the stomps) on the MIDI OUT of the KPA.

Something tells me this problem is linked to the Uno4Kemper chip and FCB1010, i.e. since you are not programming things directly, it might be sending multiple messages without your knowledge. This could be why Kemper Amplifiers can't replicate the problem.

With the UnO4Kemper chip all FCB1010 buttons send one single MIDI command, to select a rig, or (de)activate an effect, or go to the next/previous performance.

I know I am stupid !!!@#)(# and I have received responses from Xavier suggesting this fact

Of course I am forced to reply to this... I definitely did not suggest in any way that you are stupid, sir. I simply did ask you to read the LittleGiant manual, as a response to your question how to calibrate the LG2 expression pedals. I'm sad to see that asking to read the manual is considered an insult, especially when the topic is quite easy to find (chapter 5.1 : "Expression pedal calibration and configuration"). As a one-man business run solely after working hours I'm afraid I am not able to give personal email or phone support to each Gordius user, so I chose to write down calibration instructions in a manual.

About ControlCenter: I have been writing a number of (similar) editors for different pieces of hardware. For the Gordius products, there is the LG2ControlCenter. For the FCB1010, there is the UnO/FCB ControlCenter. For the FCB1010 equipped with LG-FCB extension board, there is the LG-FCB ControlCenter. For the LG2, please use the LG2 ControlCenter, which can be downloaded at http://www.gordius.be Sorry for any confusion this may have caused, and again sorry if I am forced to take this attitude, which may be perceived as blunt or inappropriate or whatever.