Posts by Uno4Kemper

In a next firmware release the LG2 will support the extra data which the KPA sends with the 2.6 firmware. You will now be able to use the "performance pre-selection" mode, where you browse through performances, but only select the performance when you click a slot selection button. While browsing, you will now see the name of the performances you browse through on the LG2 display. If you don't select a rig within a few seconds, the KPA reverts to the previously active performance, and its name is again shown on the LG2 display.

Same problem here :(

OK, here's a new idea. The 7-lead MIDI cables come from the US anyway, so it's stupid to ship them to Belgium, pay import tax, and then ship them back to the US. Same for the power adapters. So I will create a "reseller pack" for anyone willing to redistribute this one-cable solution in the US, Australia,... The pack doesn't contain any MIDI cables or power adapters, just 10 FCB1010 upgrade boards + 10 converter boxes. At 20% off, that makes 68 USD per set, and this way shipping cost from Belgium goes down to 9.9 USD per set. Anyone willing to distribute those packs locally can add his own shipping and handling costs and still end up with a much more realistic pricing than when I ship individual units. I will add this option to the website as soon as I have such reseller packs fully tested and packed, ready for shipping. Of course on request I will also add a link on our webpage to those resellers.

This is great! I was actually about to home-brew a similar solution myself for the FCB1010 but this is much more elegant (and no doubt of a much better quality that what I'd put together).

Though I notice no Australia shipping option - any way I can get it here?

I'm afraid not... UPS pricing for low volumes is outrageous here in Belgium. Shipping to the US costs me 168 USD. I "only" dare to charge 99 USD which means that probably nobody will be interested in this kit over there. Shipping to Australia is even more expensive... Other shipping methods don't give the same reliability, and I prefer not to spend my nights coping with missing packages. I guess things would be easier if I would partner up with someone based in the US, where shipping costs apparently are so much lower. But it isn't worth it for such small side project. Sorry for that..

Hi all,

after months of delay, because of other priorities, I'm finally _almost_ ready to release some stuff which allows you to use just one single cable running from your FCB1010 or GORDIUS LG2 to the KPA. The cable carries phantom power and 2-way MIDI communication.

For the FCB1010, this "single-cable kit" consists of
    - a small electronics board to be installed in the FCB1010, which replaces the 2 MIDI connectors with a single 7-pin connector and a (phantom) power switch
    - a long 7-lead MIDI cable which carries (low-voltage) power and 2-way MIDI from FCB1010 to the rack side
    - a small converter box which converts the single 7-pin connection to two regular MIDI IN / MIDI OUT connectors and a power adapter input
    - 2 short MIDI cables which run from converter box to KPA
    - a 9V power adapter which delivers phantom power to the FCB1010

For GORDIUS LG2 users, all they need is the small converter box (and MIDI cables), since the LG2 can already be configured to accept phantom power and 2-way MIDI on a single 7-pin connector.

I just launched a new website for this stuff : http://www.fcb1010.eu , if interested have a look there. Right now I'm still waiting for the last missing part, some glow-in-the-dark stickers which will be used as screening on the converter box. Forum member Labrat is working hard to get those stickers rolling out of his hi-tech printing & laser-cutting machines. For starters I have planned a very small first production series, so if interested don't hesitate to visit our website. When I run out of stock I will start creating a waiting list for the next run (which shouldn't take too long to get manufactured)

Have fun,
    Xavier

Hi Cezarius,

as others have replied here already : UnO and UnO4Kemper are 2 completely different things. I just notice that you have posted the same question on the Behringer forum, but there you have changed the title to
    "[fcb1010] Kemper profiler amp + behringer FCB10101 (with UNO4KEMPER chip v.1.0) don't work expression pedals. Can't connect to PC. Please help!"

So please confirm that you do use the UNO4KEMPER chip, not the UNO chip. People here are trying to help you by sending you UnO setups, but you don't have the UnO firmware installed... You try to connect your FCB1010 with a PC, but the UnO4Kemper firmware doesn't do any communication with a PC, since it doesn't need any editor. Please read the UnO4Kemper manual at http://www.uno4kemper.com/UnOforKemper_manual_1_3.pdf
    If you have calibrated the expression pedals correctly, the UnO4Kemper firmware will send full range CC07 and CC01 messages. If these don't do anything at the KPA side, you will need to configure your Profiler to react on those messages. I'm sure there are other threads on this forum giving details about this, and probably the KPA wiki does so too.

regards,
    Xavier

ordered mine on March 9th...nothing so far...last time I got it within 6 days...it's Marc 19th now.

Xavier, do you have any updates? Thanks!

It's difficult to find order details based just on a Kemper forum nickname... But if you ordered on March 9th your order has been shipped on March 10th. If you used the registered shipping option, email me and I will reply with the tracking number tonight.
    best regards,
    Xavier

I tried to contact Xavier today via the Uno4kemper web site but nothing yet :(

A short note to all those who tried to contact me over the last couple of days : I've had a very annoying practical problem - my main PC crashed and now refuses to boot. This means I haven't been able to respond to mails or process UnO4Kemper orders for the last 4 days. I'm still in the process of restoring all info from the crashed PC harddisk, get a new system up and running, make sure I can again burn firmware eproms, etc... Just now I was able to recover my email data, so from tonight on I will be able to work through my mail backlog. After that I will work on getting all pending UnO4Kemper orders shipped ASAP. Sorry for the delay this caused! (meanwhile I'm dreaming of the day where I no longer need to touch any computer :cursing: a bit difficult when you try to make a living with programming... )

Tested this, doesn't work.

After unpacking my FCB1010 and KPA, and doing a release test cycle for the UnO4Kemper v.1.3 firmware, I finally had the time to check this. Indeed, it doesn't work as expected. The reason is that the KPA seems to send its MIDI data on channel 1, no matter what setting you choose in the System menu. Apparently this menu only changes the MIDI channel the KPA listens to, not the channel it sends on. Therefore the FCB1010 isn't able to "sense" the configured MIDI channel. It will always detect channel 1 and revert to using this channel for MIDI transmission. So indeed, unless the KPA firmware is modified to transmit on the configured MIDI channel, 2-way MIDI communication requires the use of either MIDI channel 1 or "omni".

You can program the regular UnO chip to send a CC with value 1 on press and value 0 on release. See UnO user guide p.7 ( CC “MOMENTARY” TOGGLING )
    Since you seem to be using Uno/FCB ControlCenter, it's very easy: there's a "stomp pedal" icon and a "momentary pedal" icon next to each stomp switch. Click the "momentary" icon for the tempo switch.

Will the midi "out" of the FCB1010 still be providing power? I ask as i currently use the midi out of the FCB to power a midi merger :)

the mod is simply rewiring the connections, from 2 MIDI connectors + power to one 7-pins connector at one side, and the inverse at the other side, in order to have a single cable instead of 3 in between both. So yes, the MIDI IN and OUT connectors will behave identically after running through both converters.

Does this mean that the Kemper's midi out by itself doesn't supply enough current to power the FCB1010? I've found that it can power a small standalone midi merger device -- but an entire foot controller is something else of course...
    What kind of power input jack will be used? I can't tell from the picture.

Powering anything through the MIDI communication leads is actually not such a good idea. The MIDI OUT of any device is designed to deliver just enough current for driving the optocoupler at the end of the MIDI cable. You can easily destroy the MIDI OUT stage by pulling more current from it. Apart from that, MIDI is designed to use an optocoupler on its data input, in order to avoid ground loops. Using the MIDI lead for power forces you to remove the optocoupler in the powered device, thus increasing the chance for a ground loop if you're not careful.

Anyway, the converter box will have a regular 2.1mm or 2.5mm power jack, which fits most 9V AC or DC adapters. I still need to check what the exact requirements are for phantom powering the FCB1010, and what's the most common jack for compatible power adapters.

Indeed - I have been less responsive than I'd like to be, due to the extra workload of moving places, and the chaos which this currently causes.
    My target is to be able to empty most of the Gordius/FCB/KPA related moving boxes by the end of next weekend, and to get myself organized for resuming Gordius/UnO4Kemper firmware development in the course of next week. Having UnO4Kemper v.1.3 released before the end of this month should be a feasible target. Sorry for the temporary slow-motion...

Does this work with all versions of the chip? I'm pretty sure I've tried this and found it doesn't work, but I'll check :)

What's available is there since the first UnO4Kemper firmware version, but it might need some finetuning. Problem is that the KPA needs to send a "channel specific" MIDI message (like ProgChange or ControlChange) for the FCB1010 to detect the channel. SysEx for instance is not channel specific. I'm not sure if the KPA does send any such message, unless it gets a rig select command from the floorboard first - which it will ignore if not sent on the correct MIDI channel.... (chicken and egg problem). So with the current version it might be necessary to press a frontpanel button first, in order to trigger the channel detection in the FCB1010. In the near future I will do 2 things :
    - check if the SysEx communication done during floorboard detection contains info on the MIDI channel used by the KPA - in that case it's easy, FCB1010 will just use that channel after connecting to the KPA
    - store the used MIDI channel in the non-volatile memory of the FCB1010. This way things are guaranteed to keep working once the KPA MIDI channel has been configured.

FCB+uno requires either midi channel 1, or "all".

Just notice this remark. Actually this not correct, although it's probably undocumented :
    The FCB + UnO4Kemper will detect the MIDI channel which the KPA uses, and automatically adapt its communication to that channel. So you can put the KPA on any channel, and the UnO4Kemper FCB will work without extra configuration.
    I'm not able to retest this right now, but I will soon and if it works as expected I will update the UnO4Kemper documentation.

About UnO4Kemper :

indeed, the current firmware uses a long switch press to enter configuration mode, so this is not compatible with the new way of activating beat scanner. However, Timo was friendly enough to implement a fallback which makes it possible to use the beat scanner with current UnO4Kemper firmware (using short presses). This seems to work OK, as Ingolf reported here, I didn't have the time yet to check this myself.
    I will release a new UnO4Kemper version asap, which will activate configuration mode only when keeping a certain key combination pressed at startup. This will avoid "accidental" config mode activation, which Foresten reports above, and will also allow to activate the beat scanner in the regular way, by keeping the tempo switch pressed. I do realize the inconvenience of this old-skool eprom swapping, but I guess that's one disadvantage of a 10-year-old cost-effective hardware design, and IMHO I don't see 8 Euro as a huge cost for getting an update (see http://www.uno4kemper.com/uno4kemper_faq.php > "About future updates"). I don't expect further frequent updates of the UnO4Kemper firmware. Right now I'm waiting for some more technical info from the Kemper team before I do release UnO4Kemper v.1.3, exactly in order to be as future proof as possible.

regards,
    Xavier