Posts by sambrox

The poweramp can be disabled in the output menu, but it doesn't get hot so there's no need to be overly cautious. As for profiles sounding the same, I use mine live mainly through a Marshall 1936 2x12 and have no problem distinguishing between them. Sure, a FRFR cabinet would give the profiles their own nuances, but I reckon you should try it for yourself and make up your own mind. I don't miss anything onstage and playing through a regular guitar cab has made the switch to digital easier (I have a passive 12" PA speaker with a tweeter that I experimented with, but it didn't float my boat). I'm still going to get a CLR (or a NEO when they come to Europe), but for now it's a great solution for me.

Cheers,
    Sam

Well, hum is more likely to be because of grounding issues, some of which are hard to rectify (there's a thread on here where someone discusses a particular room in his house where the lighting and wiring causes humming). Quite a few guitars leave the factory without being properly grounded/shielded, too (my Les Paul's bridge ground wire wasn't connected, for example, and the control cavity wasn't shielded). The power amp in the power rack is extremely clean and silent, once you've dealt with such issues. Sometimes I forget that it's even enabled, until I strike a chord and give myself a shock, haha!

Cheers,
    Sam

I think because of all the options in the KPA, I became more discerning and scrutinising of the sound of my guitars. Back in the tube amp days, I'd pretty much just set the tonestack as I'd normally do, make sure my stomp box levels were ok and leave anything else up to the sound guy. It was kind of, "well, that's the sound of this amp. Want something different, get a different amp!" I never really delved any deeper, I think. That's what makes the KPA initially confusing (that and the fact that you're always battling the 'it isn't real tubes' bias in the beginning; tweaking endlessly to get it as close as possible to your perception of 'tube', whether that's for your own sake in confirming your purchase, changing the sound man's opinion on digital devices, or your band's...).

Cheers,
    Sam

Nice little commercial for the MBritt profiles.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Anxiously awaiting the Dumble Pack and Profile Pack 3

Just thought I'd add, I'm LOVING that white Suhr Strato-pass-me-off-for that Mr. Thorn's playing. Gotta get me one of those....

Cheers,
    Sam

I'll have to check the example out when I'm next in my own studio. My monitors at work aren't set up to be totally flat (I work in post production and have my monitors set to exaggerate the top end, so I don't end up piling on too much, especially for commercials!).

Cheers,
    Sam

You can think of Performance mode as 125 banks of 5 patches. The patches in a bank can be balanced volume-wise against each other at the very simplest level; at more advanced levels, you can have different rigs in different patches for different parts of a song (on a bank-per-song basis, for example). It's a bit more finicky than the rest of the Kemper's menus and setup, but is still pretty straightforward. Just don't change patches via midi when setting up a bank, otherwise you'll lose your changes!

As Ingolf so rightly said, Browse mode is for browsing all the rigs/profiles on your KPA.

Cheers,
    Sam

It's also a question of priorities, in my opinion. Look at it from a business point of view; what would bring in greater numbers of new customers: a foot controller, or more accurate representations of amp sounds due to refinement of the profiling process (plus faster rig switching, better anti-aliasing, more and better factory rigs, etc etc)?
    We know that the Kemper team is (relatively) small. I reckon they're being sensible by not over-stretching themselves and committing to too much at once. Obviously they are still working on the KFC, but the other implementations they've managed to squeeze into the box in the last 2 1/2 years have been more than worth the delay of it. It'll come, but their strategy, in my opinion, is the correct one. More users means more income, means more freedom, means a bigger team, means potentially more and greater functions... You get the idea...

Cheers,
    Sam