Posts by sambrox

I'll have to check the example out when I'm next in my own studio. My monitors at work aren't set up to be totally flat (I work in post production and have my monitors set to exaggerate the top end, so I don't end up piling on too much, especially for commercials!).

Cheers,
    Sam

You can think of Performance mode as 125 banks of 5 patches. The patches in a bank can be balanced volume-wise against each other at the very simplest level; at more advanced levels, you can have different rigs in different patches for different parts of a song (on a bank-per-song basis, for example). It's a bit more finicky than the rest of the Kemper's menus and setup, but is still pretty straightforward. Just don't change patches via midi when setting up a bank, otherwise you'll lose your changes!

As Ingolf so rightly said, Browse mode is for browsing all the rigs/profiles on your KPA.

Cheers,
    Sam

It's also a question of priorities, in my opinion. Look at it from a business point of view; what would bring in greater numbers of new customers: a foot controller, or more accurate representations of amp sounds due to refinement of the profiling process (plus faster rig switching, better anti-aliasing, more and better factory rigs, etc etc)?
    We know that the Kemper team is (relatively) small. I reckon they're being sensible by not over-stretching themselves and committing to too much at once. Obviously they are still working on the KFC, but the other implementations they've managed to squeeze into the box in the last 2 1/2 years have been more than worth the delay of it. It'll come, but their strategy, in my opinion, is the correct one. More users means more income, means more freedom, means a bigger team, means potentially more and greater functions... You get the idea...

Cheers,
    Sam

Well, the NL12 might be an option for you...? Me, I often need the extra oomph of a second speaker when I'm playing medium-sized gigs (500-1000 audience) for onstage monitoring, otherwise I'd snap up the 1x12 for noodling and smaller gigs. They're supposed to go crazy loud for the size anyway. I played a show with a bass player the other week that had an Aguilar system :
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com…1x12-bass-speaker-cabinet
    It's a tiny system and is light as a feather, but sounds IMMENSE! It's actually his main touring rig now, and this is a dude who plays some pretty large places with artists like the singer from A-Ha (yeah, cheesy, but large none the less!). That convinced me to investigate neodymium cabs, and the Matrix stuff gets such good reviews that I'm willing to buy blind.

Cheers,
    Sam

The prices on Atomic's site are NOT including VAT, for what it's worth.

Personally, I have got more enjoyment out of my Power Rack using a regular guitar cab, but maybe that's due to me not (yet) owning a CLR... My current FRFR option you see is a rather cheap 12" PA speaker with 1" tweeter, but it doesn't sound drastically worse than my studio monitors, so maybe I'm just not ready for the 'paradigm shift'. With the new Direct Cab Separation profiling technology, I'm considering buying a Matrix Neolight NL212 and being done with it (gotta love the light weight!).

Cheers,
    Sam

One thing to remember, though;
    The KPA is only as good as the profile you have loaded. I've found that profiles that work/sound good for one person, don't necessarily work for me. It's very subjective. Then you add different guitars and monitoring into the equation!
    Rest assured, the Profiler DEFINITELY has the potential to be the be all and end all for you, but you might need to experiment to find profiles that are a good fit for you. Recently there have been a couple of users on here that have given up prematurely, I feel, but with the right profile you won't need to tweak at all. Try one out in your local music store. It might be that the factory profiles work for you right out of the box, it might be that you need to check out what's on the Rig Exchange, it might be that you need to buy a couple of commercial profiles, but you'll find what you're looking for.

Cheers,
    Sam

It's actually quite rare that I play amplified at home, unless for some reason I have my KPA (it's usually out at the studio), hence me playing through my 5 year-old's Bugera BC15

Cheers,
    Sam

Here's me messing about playing through my son's Bugera amp, while his little brother is entranced with the witchcraft that is my iPhone, hahaha!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,
    Sam

Yeah, that's kind of the point. The DT880 Pros DON'T distort, unlike most consumer headphones. It's subtle in other models, but enough to trigger your brain into thinking "this is loud". Like I said, it's a psycho-acoustic phenomenon, much like pumping master buss compression etc.

Cheers,
    Sam

Most headphones begin to distort as you turn up the volume. The distortion characteristic is one of the triggers that tells your brain that the headphones are turned up loud. It's psycho-acoustics. Because the DT880s have very low distortion, sometimes you can end up turning the volume up, without realising that they're too loud.

Cheers,
    Sam

Just be aware that the extremely low distortion in the DT880 Pros means that they go louder, cleaner. If you're not used to this, it can seem that they don't go loud enough, but really the SPL levels are right up there, and you're putting your hearing in danger. Maybe it's this phenomenon that's confusing you? Otherwise it must be a technical issue, either with routing or cabling. Like I said, mine go plenty loud, and I'm nowhere near maximum volume on the KPA.

Cheers,
    Sam