Posts by sambrox

Yes, that's good practice to use the RM like that. - I normally try and leave a totally empty Kemper. - and drag and drop what I need on there for the "move" - everything can be auditiond via the RM so need need to store everything, unless tweeks need to be made & saved.

So I just use special folders that I keep profiles under, set-lists, (My own pack numbers), WIP, Tweeked, Clients, Genre, etc etc..and then drag and drop what I need, when I need it.. its really great (as long as your organised)..

Hmmm, think I might steal your workflow there...!

Cheers,
    Sam

One thing that works for me is to turn off the delay and verb then lock it while auditioning.

I do this, too. In fact, Reverb is permanently locked on my KPA and I can't imagine that changing until they come up with a spring algorithm. Other reverb types with guitars just don't do it for me. Having said that, I like playing with Headphone Space at about 3.0 late at night ;)

Cheers,
    Sam

Engage one of the three noise gates (either the one in the input section with its own knob, or one of the two stomps), or a combination of all of them! Don't forget, most of the amps have been profiled at hefty volumes to get them to naturally overdrive. I haven't encountered a tube amp that doesn't have a lot of noise at those kinds of volumes (unless it has a built-in noise gate). The only thing you can do to maybe cut down on the noise a little is to install "noiseless" pickups. There's nothing wrong with your KPA!

Cheers,
    Sam

2. I will want to be able to switch on and off effects within profiles and switch between a few profiles during a gig. Is there a simple footswitch it can use for this (I don't want a FCB - want something much more compact).

Check out the McMillen Softstep. Pretty compact! In fact, if I didn't already have an FCB/Uno4Kemper with the single cable mod, I'd definitely be looking to integrate one of these into my conventional pedal board (actually, I still might! Miss my Polytune and original TS9...).

Sound on Sound review the Softstep
    Cheers,
    Sam

I remember reading that there was a bug when changing cabs. Basically, if you changed cabs but then changed back to the profile's original cab, it wouldn't sound the same as the profile prior to the cab change. I'm pretty sure they fixed it with FW 2.5, but I might be wrong. What FW are you running? It has something to do with the cab part of the profile being a "guesstimation". There's no 100% accurate way the profiler can determine which part of the effected signal it receives during the profiling process is due to the colouration and response of the cab, and complications with subtracting those effects from the overall signal.

As for the other problem, I'm not really sure. If the lock isn't engaged, I would've thought it would revert back to the original saved cab if you haven't stored the updated performance. Puzzling!?!

Cheers,
    Sam

Cool, I'll check these out over the weekend. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Sam

Yeah, you should leave cabs on when using DI or preamp profiles. The KPA uses an approximation of what the profiled cab sounds like, then subtracts it from the result. If there was no cab in the profile to start with, it'll mess up the sound!

Cheers,
    Sam

I guess it can punch down peaks - but probably won't take care of nulls and not much of ringing either?

Precisely. Flutter echo and imaging problems, not to mention bass overhang and time domain smearing won't be helped in the slightest. I think products like this are best suited to making final adjustments to an already well-controlled and damped room.

Cheers,
    Sam

Any and all! It depends on your personal preference as they all work, just make sure you have cabs switched off on "full" profiles, as opposed to DI or "only preamp" profiles. A word of caution, though. If you're going to be playing live and using the main outs direct to FOH, your sound will vary. I had the problem that some profiles I'd used in a performance had excessive bass through the PA that sounded fine through my cab, due to its own filtering of the low end. Have fun!

Cheers,
    Sam

I made a killer Eq with my Daw using Kemper for a music poduction company, but when they wanted it as OMF all the EQ was gone.

How so? Were you running live tracks alongside the recorded ones? Or did you not bounce/consolidate your tracks before exporting as OMF?

Cheers,
    Sam