Posts by sambrox

I am interested in how it does it’s cab and the ability to set up different mics. If it’s just an IR loader that ignores your real cab’s sound then bugger that. If instead it can separate cab from amp as the Kemper does and also allow you to virtually change the mic you used originally keeping your own cab and room in the picture then that would be impressive.

I think the Captures are like the Rig Player in TH-U, in that it is an enclosed block in the signal path. In TH-U, they have included the Kemper parameters stolen from the Amp block, but if they have "profiled" the whole chain, you can only turn the Cab on or off, not swap it out (I assume that turning the Cab off will activate the equivalent of Kemper's Cab Driver algorithm, guessing at where the amp ends and the cabinet begins). As far as I've seen of the QC, you can't even turn off the Cab of a captured "whole" rig. I think most users will likely have to rely on capturing DIs via a dedicated output or through a load box and then add an IR after the Capture block in the signal path.

Also hope this setup is also usable for a potential Quad Cortex, that i may also try in future. Hope it goes well with the Kone FRFR setting.

The Kone FRFR setting is only selectable with the Profiler, as the Profilers DSP is used to "flatten" the GFR response of the Kone. Try playing through the Kabinet/Kone without the setting switched on in the Output menu and you'll hear what you'll experience with any other piece of gear going through the Kabinet/Kone.

That part of the profiling manual is for when you want to capture DA or Merged profiles, accurately separating the cabinet from pre- and power amp. Rabea was only trying to capture a Studio profile, so it didn’t apply.

No, there is a new feature in 3.0 for the Helix. all effects and amps must be on the same path and will use the same cpu if set in the global configuration. when switching to a new preset, it is absolutely immediate. THe problem is that your patches have to be simple enough and cpu friendly to run on one path and nothing is on the other path at all.

Ahhhh that’s why, then. I don’t have any presets that use a single path. Now that excerpt in the manual about the Digitech processor makes sense.

Once again, it's stuff that can be worked out in software. Button functions can change, the GUI can change. It's only the hardware that stays. As an example the Helix just came out with true preset spillover, meaning there is no delay at all when changing presets. Others will follow.

I think you mean no audio gap. There certainly is delay when switching presets (delay of the latency/lag kind as well as the effect kind). The snapshots are lag free, though.

Profiling the Peavey Ultra Plus is not possible ! Every time you try to profile the Kemper says : noisegate detected - but there is no noisegate...

According to the manual, the Crunch and Ultra channels have a noise gate built in. It isn’t the only Peavey amp to have an internal noise gate that can’t be switched off.

I immediately felt like they were basically per se identical tones - with the first one having much more brightness or highs or going through different speakers or simply using different eqs... :/. Of course I can be totally wrong without testing it myself. Telling goodness or badbess just through phone speakers is nonsense, of course. Cannot wait to hear more examples.

True about the phone, but you could already tell that the sounds weren't particularly close.

If it is a modelled AC30 then, yes, it passed the test. Even if it is a capture is sounds pleasing and full to me (admittedly in this case only through the spakers of my phone :D).

(...man, this thread has the strongest legs in history...)

I actually thought it paled in comparison to the recording he played at the beginning of the clip. It sounded ok to me, nothing more.

One thing that will always be missing is room ambience. Mics on an amp will pick up some of the room to a degree, whereas profiles will be bone dry, until you add a reverb or use the Space option (recommended if you’re using headphones).

Kemper Stage

TC BAM-200

Kemper Kone

Peavey 1x12

BluGuitar Amp1 Mercury edition

BluGuitar BluBox

Strymon Iridium

Chase Bliss Automatone

MXR Phase 90

Headrush 108

Pedal Train Metro 24

Some plugins inc. Neural DSP Abasi and Cory Wong and Izotope/Exponential Audio bits and pieces

Ibanez Pia SDG

Ibanez AZ 2204 Gold

Höfner “violin” bass

EVH Wolfgang Special

Probably missed some things

The physical Reverb knobs on the Kemper only work as intended when there is a reverb effect in the slot named Reverb.

Andy Sneap talked about something similar in an old video, matching old tones off albums he’d recorded, though he “tone matched” using the DI off the tape into the Kemper, and the final sound off the tape into the return.

I think it was a question of the volume being levelled after the Kemper Drive but before the Stack, meaning that increasing the volume didn’t affect the drive or tone in the same way as it would in the real world.