Posts by Robrecht

I have the previous firmware and it shows only space for the knob.

Ah, so I wasn't going crazy after all! :)

When I noticed they'd changed the name from "Space" to "Headphone space", I assumed it was because they'd restricted the parameter's effect to headphones only, like Mr. Kemper talked about. I don't remember if I actually tested that though...

Are you sure? I remember the knob being marked simply as "Space" in previous firmwares... but I may be wrong.

Either way, you're right of course in that it was always intended for headphones use.

The sound i'm getting is very very poor, not to compare with the sound i'm getting over my Rocktron velocity 300 hooked straight into a Marshall 2x12 cab.

Just to make sure: I assume you're using the monitor out with the cab simulator off to drive the Marshall cab, and the main outs (where the cab sim is active) for the connection to your computer, right?

By sending a signal with the cab sim to the Marshall cab, you would have two cabs in your chain (one "virtual" and one real) shaping your sound; on the other hand, sending a raw preamp signal without the cab sim (and without the actual Marshall cab of course) to your computer would definitely sound very bad.

Even when doing it right, there's bound to be a difference between the real Marshall cab you're using and the virtual cab in the rig (which may be profiled from a completely different brand and model); but the fact that you describe the sound as "very very poor" makes me think something might be wrong.

You'll need a USB stick. Plug it into the USB port in the back of the Kemper first and allow it to be formatted (everything previously stored on it will be erased -- from now on this will be your special Kemper stick!).

Then plug it into a computer's USB port. You'll notice it now contains a couple of folders. Rig files downloaded from the exchange or elsewhere should go in the "Shared" folder.

Plug the stick onto the Kemper once more and press the "external storage" button (it may take a few seconds to appear). Choose "import" and wait for the new rigs to be copied to your Kemper. That's it!

Great, thanks! That was very informative!

I suppose I would plug them into the Foot Controller itself, as it has those four EXP connections, but if the Profiler accepts high and low impedance pedals directly I'm sure the floor unit will too.

I have a question.

I'm really starting to like the concept of the Kemper Foot Controller, and when it comes out, I may get one. However, I've grown accustomed to having two expression/volume pedals on my Behringer FCB1010 (with Uno4Kemper), so I would probably buy two external expression pedals to go with it.

So... does anyone know what kind of pedal would be required? Looking at the expression pedals for guitars category on Thomann (there's a separate category for keyboard expression pedals as well), I can see a lot of different types; some apparently require their own power supply (which would be a pity since the Kemper Foot Controller will only need that one network cable!). Some are standalone volume pedals as well, which I assume would not be needed. There's a lot of "not compatible with..." caveats, which confuse me a little.

The pedals on the Behringer FCB1010 notoriously don't feel "linear" when controlling volume or pitch effects, and I remember Mr. CK remarking that many expression pedals are badly set up in this way, so I'd love to find something better suited for controlling effects parameters.

Cool, I'll check those out!

I'm a huge fan of Perfecting Sound Forever by Greg Milner, a surprisingly fascinating and well-written history of sound recording. The funny thing is, exploring my Kemper often reminds me of the book. One of the recurrent themes, from Edison's phonograph to radio, tapes, CDs, mp3s and digital audio workstations, is the A/B-comparison as a promotional tool. Just like Edison had a touring road show in 1915 where a singer sang along with a phonograph recording of her own voice, and people swore they couldn't tell the difference, the Kemper has A/B-ing built right into the profiling procedure! No, I'm not suggesting that we're as naive now as those audiences back then, I just think it's cool that our little toaster represents a new step in a long, lofty and ambitious tradition.

are you aware that you can use the copy and paste knobs to... errr... copy and paste tag info?
    the copy buffer stores up to ten entries, pressing the paste knob repeatedly cycles through them.

Oooh, I forgot about the cycling buffer after reading about it somewhere and wanting to try it out. That is a handy feature to speed things up.

It just occurred to me that a real autocomplete function -- i.e., after inputting the first few letters, the Kemper would offer suggestions based on rigs already stored in its memory -- would not only speed up the process of tagging a newly profiled amp, but would also encourage consistency and completeness, so that filtering rigs by amp model would work across user-made profiles.

For instance, if entering "Tri" would trigger the suggestion "Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier" (or whatever standard no-lawsuit name is used), the number of different spellings and abbreviations would likely be reduced.

The FCB1010's wah pedal can control any expression pedal effect, including the pitch shifter and the "Wah Pedal Booster", which apparently (I haven't tried it yet) acts very much like a gain control.

Then you are able to adjust levels separately, and can even unlink the main output from the master volume control. This is what I do, with main output level fixed at -20 or 25. Sound engineers really appreciate to get a stable level from my KPA regardless of how I adjust my backline.

Good point. I adjusted my backline volume using the dials on my powered speakers, but your method definitely seems the way to go. I'll make sure to get the requisite cables ready for next time.