Posts by Robrecht

Nothing wrong with that midi file: it looks exactly like it should look, with just a single Program Change at each moment where you want to change rigs (since you're using Browse mode -- in Performance mode you could do it with CCs).

Does this happen when you're using the Utrack24? Or in Cakewalk itself?

This is a long shot, but if it's happening in Cakewalk, you could try disabling Midi Event Chasing (possibly called Midi Searchback) in the settings. Not sure where it can be found (I've never used Cakewalk), but from the online documentation it looks like there should be such an option. The idea of midi event chasing is that when you start playing in the middle of a song, the last Program Change will be re-sent, to make sure the connected midi device is still on the correct patch. That's not exactly what is happening here, but maybe disabling it will stop Cakewalk from continuously repeating the last PC.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how you could change this behavior in the Utrack24.

Another possibility might be that your midi floorboard is doing something strange? ?(

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to bring up the exact same thing and used the search function to check if it had been asked before.

Here on the forum and in the Kemper users Facebook group, it's obvious that locking is a very useful feature. I've often suggested it to players looking for a more traditional stomp box-like experience, especially to retain the on/off state of a delay or other effect across different rigs in a performance.

The drawback is that locking is global: it's either on across all performances, or off. That means that if you want the advantage of a persistent delay that you can turn on or off independently at any point within a song, you also have to use the same delay effect for all your songs. But a user may have a country performance, where they want the delay to be locked across the five slots, and then another performance for rock, with a different delay, which they also want to be locked across those five slots. Right now, that isn't possible. Okay, you could always "unlock, switch to different performance, lock again", but that's a tricky and fiddly operation that can't be done from the Remote and isn't optimized for live use.

I have to admit I'm not sure how it could be implemented without complicating the user interface, but locking effects just for a performance instead of globally (and being able to save that locked state as a part of that performance) would be a great feature for many users, I think.

Dirty rotten trick.

I know. It's my latest.

I admit to nothing.

You're incommunicado, then? No comment to make?

I remember watching the Prince of Wales concerts... Mark was just in a different class

So that guitar man on the TV, you're saying he had... another quality?

If you see him, tell him I love him.

And tell him I was calling. You know... just to wish him well.

I'll take out Security with a pair of fire extinguishers while you guys swarm the Rig.

Let's hope they'll be laid back and lax!

I've done this type of thing before. 8)

Alright! The usual fee, then... plus expenses?

I'm so sorry. It's a compulsion.

I just, um, happened to be studying that particular area of the Kempers in that rack and noticed that, while the USB ports are (tantalizingly) empty and unobstructed, there is something that looks like a 6.35-3.5mm adapter stuck in the headphone jack. I wonder if it's meant to keep Mark (or his roadies) from doing what we've all done at least once: plug his guitar into it and wonder why there's no sound. :)

Yeah, that's quite an endorsement. Even after Pat Metheny and so many others, this is probably the pinnacle of recognition when it comes to guitar tones. Congratulations to Mr Kemper and team!

Pretty cool to think there are now profiles out there of Mark's actual personal amp collection, and that each and every one of our own Kempers could technically run them and sound exactly the same.

I mean... it's never going to happen (and Mark and his guitar techs have every right to keep those signature tones to themselves), but we can dream, right? :D

The Kemper's global "noise gate" -- not the gate stomps but the one controlled by the dedicated knob -- is actually more of a hum eliminator than an actual gate. Have you tried adjusting it to suit your pickups?

Quote from the Kemper manual

This knob controls the Noise Gate, which eliminates the noise and hum of your guitar in a very smart way. Turn the
    NOISE GATE knob to the right, until noise and hum have disappeared; do not turn it beyond that point, as this might
    alter the sound of your guitar. When set to the appropriate position, you will notice that noise and hum are
    eliminated, even when the strings are still sounding.

The tuner is always on in the form of a simple but surprisingly useable system with three leds indicating sharp, flat or in tune, both on the Kemper and on the Remote. Super handy for quick touch-ups between songs!

For a more precise, full-screen tuner graphic, also both on the Kemper and on the Remote, press the Tuner button on the Remote, or turn the "chicken head knob" on the Kemper to Tuner, or if you use an expression pedal for volume, simply tilt it back to zero. This works in any patch, no need to assign it.

There's a setting to select if you want to mute the signal when you activate the tuner.

The Kemper has only one built-in compressor pedal. It's simple but very effective, with just a few dials. Kemper user Maurizio70 has created some presets to "clone" the Dyna Comp, check them out!

There's also a compression parameter in the amplifier section, which is unique and super useful in that it only affects the clean side of the sound. So if you're playing with the gain on the edge of breakup, where playing hard will distort the amp but playing softly (or rolling back the volume knob on the guitar) will come through clean, you can compress just those clean sounds so their volume doesn't drop compared to the distorted notes.

As a side note, the compression Wheresthedug described is a natural effect of cranking a high-gain amp. If a Kemper profile was made from such a cranked amp, that natural compression will be part of the profile, and available at any volume you choose (whereas the original tube amp would lose all that power if you turned it down to don't-anger-the-neighbour volumes). In that case, you may not need to add any extra compression.

I've never used anything from the THR line, but I think they have an AUX input that bypasses their own amp simulation, so you should be able to use it as a powered speaker for the Kemper. But a pair of good headphones is a good tip, the Kemper sounds great through them and they allow you to play 'loud' without disturbing the neighbours.

Like stfuzz says, the sound integrity at low volumes is absolutely there. If a 100 tube amp has been profiled at an earth-shattering volume to get that hot tube sound, the Kemper will give you that same sound and feel at bedroom levels or in headphones. It behaves exactly the same way at any volume.

The only problem is that your ears don't... :S At different volumes, we tend to hear a different balance between highs, mids and lows, even if the spectral content of the sound hitting our ears is exactly the same (an effect described by the infamous Fletcher–Munson curves).

It's not a huge problem, you just have to make sure you don't go straight from unpacking and playing with your new Kemper at home to your first gig with it, as you may be surprised by the difference in perceived balance (a profile that sounds a little thin at home may turn out very boomy when you turn up the volume). Try to give it a test run at rehearsal/gig volume first and select your profiles/tweak the output EQ for that situation.

The good news is it's pretty easy to do (you can save output EQ settings as presets for different situations) and it doesn't affect the feel or gain structure of the sound, so you can absolutely get that hot, overdriven sound at home.

You can lock them by using the Lock button. :)

Whenever you press that button, whatever is currently on the Kemper's screen (a single effect slot, the entire stomps or effects section, the entire amp stack...) will be locked/unlocked. Or you can do it the other way around: while holding down the Lock button, press the button for any section you want to lock.

In your case, just hold the Lock button and press "Stomps" and "Effects" to lock everything but the amp stack. The Kemper will then function like a traditional amp with a separate pedalboard: not only will the effects stay the same when you switch to another rig, they will also keep their on/off state independently.

I think the best argument for this is that it gives Kemper total control over the signal chain, right up to the user's ear. The way it currently is, with all of the different active speakers, passive speakers, guitar cabs and power amps out there, the profiler's perceived quality ultimately depends on another manufacturer's gear. If they launch their own cabs, at least they can say: "This is the reference, this is how we think the Profiler should sound."

On Facebook, there's an intriguing extra bit of info: "featuring a selection of industry standard guitar speaker imprints".

Built-in IRs? But the Kemper already does cabinet simulation... :/