Posts by Peto

I think this video is far beyond what anyone would expect NAMM to bring. ;)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Per, Thank you for a small wayback to my childhood. I sold my Speccy maybe 3-4 years ago when I finally understood, that my children will not be interested in this any time in the future. It is sentimental thing for us. I sold it to museum together with other 8bits I had. If I didn't I could have profile it now!

I would not be surprised if this feature request would be accepted taking into account CK's ZX background. http://www.guitar-muse.com/kemper-profiling-amp-2949-2949

I give it +1

What?!!! New delays? =O Still haven't time to check previous ones! Who needs new delays? No really, who asked for more delays?!!!! Should be banned for good. And where the heck is the Spring reverb? This is ridiculous and getting out of control!

Hi Sonic, did you try to profile other amps than Baron 7W amp? What was the result of profiling? Maybe the 7W amp is the problem. There were issues with profiling certain amps before. When troubleshooting such issue, I would try to profile another amp to be sure if it is not the problem in the chain.

As a side note I still don't understand not contacting the support. It would be the first thing that comes to mind. With all respect to this helpful forum, I doubt you will find better support for your issue than KPA team.

Beyerdynamic dt 880 pro

Hi Ale, this might be the problem. I bought DT880 and I was desperately trying to make them sound right with KPA. Nope! They will not. They do sound great for mixing and listening to mixed music. When listening to Ayreon albums I was able to hear each single instrument in the mix! Which I did not before. But for me playing guitar/KPA through DT880 simply sound terrible, harsh and fizzy. Now I use for playing KPA Koss Porta Pro and I like the sound of this combo very well. I would recommend you trying KPA with different headphones than DT880. DT880 are too neutral for KPA. Good for mixing bad for guitar. Try those Kosses, they cost around 30€. ;)

@Peto I cannot reproduce that situation with my Mission. If I pull out the plug half way, the bar goes to 80% yes. As soon as I plug it in again, the pedal works again across the whole range without calibration.

Yes, that is to be expected, because as I suppose, Mission pedal probably uses whole pot range, so maximum resistance on tip will be equal to resistance between sleeve and ring. This is not true for my pedal and that's the reason I have to re-calibrate. You can try to measure the Mission pedal (max res. on sleeve vs. tip & sleeve vs. ring), unfortunately I have no access to Mission pedal.

I am using latest 5.0.3

- When I reconnect cable at pedal, calibration bar goes to 2/3 and I have to re-calibrate. I think this is consequence of KPA detecting resistance of full range of pot (10k) on tip/ring during jack insertion. But working range of my pedal is only 7.6k, because I am not able to use whole range of generic 300 degrees pot. So this is not problem at KPA side. :)

- When I reconnect cable at KPA, calibration bar goes to ~95% and I have to recalibrate.

I think Mission pedal uses full range of pot, so it doesn't have this problem. Probably it has 200 degrees pot or pot with characteristic I posted earlier.

Kudos to @ckemper for taking time and responding. As I wrote earlier, I am OK with this no-solution-from-kemper-side and I knew it will end up like this. That's why I modded my DIY pedal mechanics and now it works well.
    Changes I made:
    1. I set up the pot so in the heel position I have start of the pot where there is small margin of 0 resistance, so heel position is covered.
    2. As I don't have access to custom 200 degrees turn pots, or specific taper characteristics I have no other choice as to use common 300 degrees turn pot, 10kOhm, linear. So the toe position has to be taken care of mechanically. I removed the switch, which as @Burkhard mentioned, is not really necessary thanks to Bypass@xxx function which works well. I replaced rubber parts with stiff parts, so there is hard-end at toe position, which is covered by 5% margin @timo mentioned earlier.

Only one issue has not been resolved: There is manual re-calibration needed if pedal is disconnected-reconnected from powered-on KPA. As I don't disconnect pedal frequently, I can live with it.

@Burkhard @timo Thank you guys for your time.

Now I see two solutions to my issue:

1. Developers would allow users to disable automatic continuous calibration by soft button, leaving setting of calibration range fully to user's desire. This would cover all those "toe-faulty" non-conforming pedals in the future,

or

2. I will somehow mod my pedal to conform to existing KPA calibration.

:)

Judging it from developers' perspective, No.1 is likely not going to happen, if they don't have complaints about it. And I am OK with it.

But the switch remains at place so do rubber parts. Doesn't change a thing, if you use it or not.

Anyway, I went a little deeper into this and I found out, that there are also pot tapers which do give 100% resistance from 3/4 to full turn.
    It look something like this:
    [Blocked Image: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_xtvfH1oX…ZdWvrZJRiYg/octavewah.jpg]
    http://www.diystompboxes.com/s…m/index.php?topic=88422.0

I think if I had such a taper available I would not experience these problems and the switch would be still usable.
    With this kind of curve, the Crybaby pedal design does not look faulty at all. :) So my 1st question is answered. :)

What's funny that such a pedal as shown in the opening post is actually a faulty design since it would also drive an analog effect the wrong way (it might be more forgiving, but still... )

I agree that this design is rather not good, but those pedals are here and we would like to use them with KPA. And simple function of locking calibrated range would allow us to use our pedals. :)
    BTW, Isn't Mission EP1-KP (for Kemper) pedal of the same faulty design/construction? Maybe it works different, but it looks no different to CryBaby design.
    [Blocked Image: http://deluxeguitars.com.au//m…ssion-ep1kemper-2-400.jpg][Blocked Image: http://www.fullcompass.com/com…ducts/original/243867.jpg]

@timo please, what is continuous calibration good for? And what's the purpose of calibration button / calibration screen, if after we calibrate pedal to desired range, KPA re-calibrates it afterwards to different values?
    And last and I think most important question is: Will we get some kind of "Lock range/Continuous calibration disable" button? Thank you!

Do you still have this problem if you push the pedal far enough to compress the rubber stops when you calibrate the pedal?

Not sure if you are asking OP or me, but anyways I will post my answer. :)
    I would say that pushing the pedal far enough to compress the rubber exactly causes this problem, because it forces pot to value which is beyond normal pedal range. Kemper gets this out-of-range value and makes it new MAX. but is is NOT MAX of normal range. I came to one possible hardware workaround: take the rubber stops out and replace them with uncompressible material, so the pedal would not go out of range. But then we will loose ability to use the switch. :) I would really like to see how the Mission EP1KP is set up because it's construction is the same as my pedal - VOX/CryBaby. And they use the switch also....

Hi Steven, I am afraid we are on the same boat. I struggle with this problem too. Morphing is definitely NOT usable when KPA constantly recalibrates the maximum value during pedal use.
    I bought VOX Wah pedal, which I have transformed into expression pedal. I changed log pot for linear one and it worked like charm, but then i faced the same problem you have. The pedal is the same construction as Dunlop Cry Baby - it has rubber parts which get pressed when turning button on and off, which results in temporary changing value of pot to out-of-normal-range-usage and when KPA constantly recalibrates, I am no more able to reach value 127 (100%) and thus not able to use morphing.

This definitely is a problem for us and would be nice if it was addressed by Kemper team. Please make calibration lockable. Continuous calibration is nice feature, but does not work for everybody and we should be able to turn it off.
    I made a FR abou it here: Please make pedal calibration lockable / ability to turn off continuous pedal calibration

Please make pedal calibration lockable / ability to turn off continuous pedal calibration . Continuous calibration is nice feature, but does not work for everybody and we should be able to turn it off.

KPA constantly recalibrates pedal MIN and MAXvalues and this feature does not play well with expression pedals of CryBaby/VOX/Custom - like construction, which have rubber parts pressed when accessing ON/OFF button. In case of ON/OFF button use or slightly more pressure on toe position pot value goes beyond calibrated range, but instead of taking this as a new MAX value, it should be treated as out of calibrated MAX range and substituted with MAX value. This is not the case if continuous calibration is in effect. That' why I kindly ask the developers to make it possible to turn off continuous calibration by check box on pedal page in system menu.

There is a thread about struggling with this feature: Not convinced with kempers pedal calibration: FIX NEEDED?

Thank you!