Posts by Arne

If you usually do not switch off your PC, but only put it to sleep, then please check in Task Manager (Process tab) if Rig Manager is still running, but invisible. Only one instance is allowed, so you can not start another one.

Looks like a bug. Rig Manager is supposed to sync with the Rig Exchange on each application start, so the Rigs should be deleted from your Rig Manager database then. I will look into that.
    Are you on OS X or Windows? Which version of Rig Manager do you use?
    Arne

This is more a flaw than a bug. The Windows API has a limit of 259 path characters, and even the Explorer does not let you create longer paths directly. There are some ways of exceeding the limit, e.g. by renaming a folder that is in the beginning of the path, but most third party applications won't load those files then, even some Microsoft apps can't do it. I will have a look if we can support longer path names easily, but in general I'd recommend not to use paths that exceed the limit. Thanks for the report anyway.
    Arne

Please check out AHChris' solution for moving the Rig Manager's data to a different location:
    Dropbox-backup and sync for your Rigs with symbolic links!
    It should be possible to create a symbolic link for every user, pointing to the shared directory.

Hi Arne,

What's the path on Mac?

Thanks.

/Users/<usename>/Library/Application Support/Kemper Amps/RigManager

Unfortunately, Library is hidden by default, also filenames that start with a dot like .RigExchange.db
    So you need to make Finder show all hidden directories or use the Terminal app to access the data.

Quick question Guys,

Is there a file that I can copy from my pc to a NEW pc and have all my accumulated and organized profiles, WITHOUT having to re-import and organize everything again from scratch in the second machine? I suspect, the file I am looking for is ".RigExchange.db". Am I right?

No, that is the cached Rig Exchange database only. You need to copy the whole folder structure C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Kemper Amps\RigManager

When you hit the columns' heads in a given sequence, RM could keep memory of this and maintain the ordering priorities.

It already works with the previously selected column. For example, click Gain, then Rating. On top you will see all 5 star ratings, sorted by gain. What is missing is another column for number of votes.

I will write about this only once, since it seems to come up again and again. The reason why we didn't launch for both platforms at the same time is that we have limited resources. It definitely saved some time to finish one platform first, so we could use those experiences for the other one, and directly start implementing the Mac UI upon the platform-independent database code. The development time we saved here was for the benefit of the Profiler software.
    Of course it would have been possible to hold back the Windows version until we are done with the OS X version, and then release both at the same time. But why? Mac users still would have to wait the same time, while Windows users would have to wait longer.
    Why not release for OS X first? Because there is Parallels and other solutions for running Windows apps on a Mac. The other way round it is, at least to my knowledge, difficult and violates Apple's EULA.

Arne

Thank you for this detailed and very helpful feedback, it is really appreciated.
    Regarding the problem that it might take some time until the Rig Manager can be restarted: it allows only one instance to be running. After you quit Rig Manager, the window closes,but it stays in memory for a few seconds in case the database files need to be written. During that time, you cant launch a second instance of Rig Manager.
    Best regards, Arne

You can install over the old version, the only downside is that you increase the list of installed programs in the Windows control panel.
    The already downloaded rigs from Rig Exchange won't be lost.