Posts by chamelious

Yes I am pro , means this is my income.. been gigging for over 20 years, but these are club gigs and still on a certain budget.
    when you travel in planes, you are limited to the amount of gear you can bring , and bringing 1 kempers and a guitar on board luggage , is the limit in baggages, I bring them onboard...
    I've dealt a bad hand for sure. I do have backup, but it ain't like my Kemper I'm using the house amp which is a Fender Mustang 3 which is kinda like a pod soundwise I suppose

And as for guitar , if something screws up , I know how to fix it ...

Well, with a guitar the issue isn't knowing how to fix it. If your guitar breaks mid set you don't fix it, you grab your spare and carry on.

As i say, you got unlucky and i feel for you there. My band is in a similar position, if a KPA breaks then our sound will suffer, but honestly if we played as often as you we'd find a way to have a spare KPA ready to go at all times :)

It sounds like you're a professional musician. IMO even semi professionals should always have acceptable backup solutions. I mean, even if you've got a £5k Gibson, its not like you'd travel without a backup in case it had some kind of issue right?

Its clear the KPA in general doesn't have reliability issues, you just got unlucky, it happens unfortunately :(

Nope these are all Studio Profiles. - still not yet convinced of Direct profiles and merging yet..
    When I dig deeper I'll get some amps redone (as I promised I would)
    if you liked the old one Wait till you try the SLO in this : )

No prob, many thanks for the swift reply :)

Hi Andy,

Quick Q, are these profiles merged ones, and have any of your old amps been redone merged? Bought the SLO 100 pack ages ago, its still my favourite, having merged profiles for it would be amazing :)

I disagree about mono :)

Personally i record anything that has any kind of stereo effect like delay, reverb, chorus etc as stereo. The only thing i record as mono these days is a dry distorted guitar. No real reason not to these days.

Hi dude, i always keep these cuts for the studio. I could be wrong here, but i think, if they get used in a live context, you'll find the room has an effect on exactly which frequencies come out sounding nasty. And even in a mix, i think the bass, drums, other instruments will have an effect.

I usually check every single instrument in a mix for "nasty" frequencies, though distorted guitars are by far the worst offenders. You do have to be a bit careful, sometimes the "nasty"ness of a tone is part of its character and losing it actually makes things worse. Though as i say, usually theres at least a couple of narrow cuts you can make, and when you try switching them back in it just hurts, ha.

I should add please take anything i say with a big fat grain of salt as im NOT a mixing engineer, my bands music always gets sent off to a great engineer, since i tried mixing our first album many years ago and did an awful job on it. I've learned lots since then but still wouldn't attempt to mix anything other than demos :)

As has been said, use Transpose, not analogue octaver, which has more of a "character" rather than trying to faithfully shift an octave down.

If i were you, try transpose an octave down, then try shifting after the fact with your DAW and see which gives you better results. I'm sure either way will do for rough recordings.

This is why i find using the KPA so hard haha. All your examples sound "good". But they all have some very obvious EQ cuts needed. So its really difficult to choose a favourite.

I would start by doing the good old fashioned EQ "sweep" to find the couple of really nasty frequencies in each example and cut them out with a really narrow Q. Mix in general sounds good. If theres a vocal to go over the top thats when things might get harder i guess :)

Theres plenty of live vids on YT if anyone fancies seeing it happen. Though you can't see our feet you'll have to trust me! ;)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In this example you can hear the backing track (the strings) and our guitar patchs changing between clean/dirty on the beat. You can hear how our drummer is forced to keep the beat on the hats while there should just be a single guitar, as the song must remain in time with the track at all times. Always think about stuff like this, make sure your drummer is ALWAYS firmly in charge of the beat!

Same song and venue, different gig!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That sounds nice!

But what would happened if the drummer screws up and is 1 measure ahead?!
    Wouldn't this be a big mess?!

Find a new drummer ;)

That's always a potential issue. Its much less of a mess for guitar changes and more of a one for anything on the backing track though. Backing vocals behind by a beat is a much bigger mess than your guitar patch coming in a beat late or early.

We've played a lot of gigs with click tracks and never had this happen. If there was ever an issue (for us), our drummer has the power to stop the click track mid song, without stopping the song, it just means theres no backing and no automatic changes.

If you're going to implement this kind of setup and your drummer is not accustomed to playing with a click track, you'll want to allow for plenty of time for them to get used to this. A lot of drummers today are just so used to playing to a click that its easy for them.

My band do this with our 2 kempers. Its great.

We also have footswitchs connected. Currently FCB1010's. Because they also require midi cables, we have to use "midi merger" boxes, to enable the KPA's to receive input from both the footswitch and the laptop.

One day soon we hope to get hold of the official KPA footswitch and do away with the midi merger boxes, as they're currently a worrying point of failure. (They are powered via midi, which has to be our footswitchs. So if the FCB1010's lose power, no switching at all!)