Posts by chamelious

Most of you won't be interested in the info but theres a few clips of our new EP here, all guitars and bass done with KPA :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have no problem with digital consoles offering to link channels for stereo-pairs, but it is a problem when you're not able to pick just one of the channels in a linked pair to send to a mono-destination such as a single wedge on stage. Guitars with lots of stereo-effects sound glorious through the FOH-rig, but complete crap on stage in such a setting. A good console doesn't treat stereo (FOH) and mono (stage monitors) destinations alike.

Not sure i'm with you? All consoles will have mono and stereo channels surely. If you want to separate out the L+R channels of the KPA, plug them into 2 mono channels? Then you can send one to stage monitors and both to FOH.

I've got a X32 myself and I mostly agree. There is however a slight issue with linked (stereo) channels on the X32 when they are routed to a single/mono bus that for example goes to a single wedge monitor. In this case the X32 blends the two channels which makes some of the most glorious stereo-effects sound like <beep>. The only way around that is to unlink the two channels and handle panning and separate levels manually. Then you can choose to only send one side of the stereo signal to a mono destination which in some cases sounds a lot better than L/R blended. It is btw not only the X32 that has this problem. Even some $20k+ digital consoles has similar issues.

This isn't really an "issue with the console". Its just what happens when you turn a stereo signal into a mono one.

Yes you're right on all counts. Cool setup dude!

Out "set" (or session in Reaper) actually has all our backing tracks in there for any song we might need. After most of them theres a "stop" marker, but on some one song runs into another, or an intro runs into a song. If for any reason the drummer can't use the spd-s i can start stuff manually :)

Hey dude, thanks for the mention. Great work here!

For clarification our setup is as follows:

Audio interface to handle the audio from the laptop, none of the midi.

Midisport 2x2 midi interface for all the midi stuff. One midi out for each Kemper router seperately in the DAW (Reaper). These go into a midi merger before they hit the KPA (We use the one you recommend), as we also have FCB1010's for switching, and the KPA only has one midi "in". The midisports midi "in" receives trigger data from a drum trigger pad (Roland spd-s) which our drummer uses to start the songs.

The midi through would work...If both guitarists in the band have the same patch changes at the same time, which we don't :)

Also happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

[Blocked Image: http://s7.postimg.org/ku15yzj97/RACK.jpg]

I need to get a shot round the back! All the gear mentioned above is in a rack tray round the back. When we turn up at a show, i just plonk the laptop on top and connect up 2 USB cables that live in the rack. Connect up 1 power, 3 cabs and 2 footswitchs via a patch panel on the back and we're good to go!

The patch panel on the front is an XLR out for the 2 KPA's and the bass head. The rackmount DI above that is the tracks from the laptop, there's a L and R out and a separate channel for sub drops which can be merged into the L+R channels if the engineer requires it.

...Might as well finish now i started! The tuner on top is in line with the bass stuff, bassist has nothing on the floor. The rack tray on the front has our 3 wireless's in. That's a behringer epq900 power amp near the bottom of that the 2 guitarists use one channel of for stage sound.

I've been reading a lot of people having various small issues with the 3 beta including some worrying midi ones. Was NOT expecting it to be elevated, as a gigging musician am i right to be staying well away from it for the time being?

KPA > SPDIF > M-AUDIO DELTA 1010 > Reaper.

No reamping, 4 performances.

This wasn't really a post asking how to fix this rather how to prevent it in the future.

Currently having my bands EP mixed.

Provided the engineer with 2 sets of takes done on different profiles:

"Part 1 Profile 1"
    "Part 1 Profile 2"
    "Part 2 Profile 1"
    "Part 2 Profile 2"

The engineer said he was not able to blend the 2 different profiles for each "part" without encountering phasing issues. Can anyone shed any light here?

Everything recorded with same guitar through SPDIF, same input settings. TAF profiles for SLO100 and 6505.

Thanks

In terms of the "system", if its wired then that really is just a headphone extension cable and earphones of your choice. Bare in mind "better" in ears will isolate sound more, which may be a problem for you when all you'll be getting through them is guitar. Shure se215s are fantastic for the price.

Oh also yes, we use the laptop for patch changes. This is actually one of the main reasons i want us switched to the KPA remote. At present we have a midi powered merger box to allow the FCB1010 and the laptop to plug into the KPA's midi in. It means if the FCB1010 is off for any reason, the midi merger box is off, and we have no switching at all.

Nice! Are you using a click track to change patches on the Kempers live? Also, any particular profiles you guys are getting a lot of mileage out of? I checked your video on your site and theres some solid tones there.

Thanks dude. Yeah, we only use profiles from TAF. I use a Soldano SLO and my bandmate uses a 6505 profile, both with a TS done in front!

Nightlife, I've tried adjusting clean sense it doesn't appear to make a lot of difference unless I'm doing it wrong?
    There was a slight chorus on the original, I'll test with the chorus off but I cant see that the whole tone would change that radically.
    It sounds to me like an electric going straight thru the desk but I have checked that cabs/stacks etc are on.

Cheers,
    Mike

Do you understand you need to be recording literally your dry guitar for reamping purposes? If you're trying to reamp something thats already gone through some kind of preamp, results will be awful.