Posts by Dawz

A question a bit OT: I've read a few times that it's good to track at a level of -12 or -18 dB to have enough headroom. This is a good advice. But how do you achieve a level of 0dB when mastering? A Gain PlugIn? I'm a newbie in recording... Thanks in advance for your answers!

To have enough headroom for what? Mastering? If you want to have enough headroom for mastering, you don't need to record each track at -12 or -18 dB.
    You should record each track as loud as possible, but without clipping, and reduce the level of each channel after recording.

I personally aim for a master level of around -6 to -3 dB after mixing, so i still have enough headroom for mastering.

And to achieve a level of 0 dB, you can use a brickwall-limiter. :thumbup:

I'm glad you like it! :)

For Bass i used the "Microtubes B7K" profiles by r.u.sirius, for Rhythm-Guitars "German Grease" (Diezel Hagen) and "Juicy Junks" (Soldano Hot Rod) by Lasse Lammert.

And for some parts we've put a Fuzz Factory in front of the Kemper.

Hey Guys,

i want to present to you the "Greatest Hits EP" of my project "This Coffee Make Me Strong".

https://soundcloud.com/devo2k11/sets/greatest_hits_ep

We did use the Kemper for every bass and guitar tracks, everything was recorded at my little home "kinda" studio :thumbup:

You may find most of our tracks to be very strange and odd. ;)
    In this case, or if you don't like strange music, you should a least tune into "911", which is the most "normal" of our songs.

https://soundcloud.com/devo2k11/004-911a

Enjoy!

@rgloenberg I think you got that wrong.
    If you use the Powerhead into a Cabinet, just leave the DI-Profiles as they are.

The poweramp of the Kemper doesn't shape or influence the sound in a way a valve poweramp would (Can't tell if it influences the sound at all).
    DI-Profiles have captured Pre- and poweramp of a certain amp, and the Kemper Powerhead will drive a cabinet and sound exactly like or pretty close to the original amp.
    So you just load a DI-Profile, let the Powerhead drive the cabinet, and it should sound like the original Amp plugged into that cabinet.

If you use the non-powerhead Kemper and run it into external poweramps (for example the FX-Return of your Mesa Rectifier), this poweramp will shape the sound in its own way.
    And as this sound has gone through 2 Poweramps (1 already profiled, 1 "real"), it may sound strange, or muddy or sth..
    In this case, it would be smart to turn off the "Cab" section of your Kemper, which reduces the poweramp-influence of the originally profiled Amp by a big amount.
    What you have left then is basically a Preamp-Profile, that you can now run into an external poweramp and into a cabinet. And it should sound great then! ;)

With that second method, the sound will differ from the originally profiled Amp, as you basically run the preamp stage of the original amp into a different poweramp stage.

So if you want to get to the original amp sounds as close as possible (without buying the amp :P ), you need a Kemper Powerhead or a really linear poweramp.

Tl;dr: Turning off the "Cab" section of a DI-Profile reduces the amount of poweramp-influence of the originally profiled amp.
    You might wanna try this if u use an external poweramp, but not with a Powerhead (Otherwise it may sound horrible)
    :thumbup:

DI profiles are captured after the poweramp.

The ones you're looking for are simply Preamp-Profiles, captured before the poweramp.

You can use DI-Profiles with your FX return nonetheless, but should turn off the "Cab" section of the profile.
    Otherwise the sound has gone though 2 poweramps, which may sound awkward (not necessarily!)

I've had a similar idea, while discussing with a friend about DI-profiles.
    If the "Return-Inputs" on the back are not linked together and can be used seperately,
    and the "Alternative Input" could be used for profiling aswell, you could get a 100% accurate profile of preamp, poweramp and cab:

Signal 1: Amp Input, recorded via FX-Send into "Alternative Input"
    Signal 2: FX-Return, recorded via DI-Box into "Return-Input"
    Signal 3 = Signal 2: but recorded via Mic into XLR "Return-Input"

The Kemper could then calculate the Cabinet (EQ-Curve) with the difference between the return-inputs.

You might think, that the processor may be to weak for this new profile,
    but i think, that it's just the profiling process itself, that will require more computing capacity.
    This would result in a longer profiling process, but in the end that would be totally worth it! ;)

Regards,
    Daniel