Posts by carsnguitars58

I realize your question stated a 3U rack, but you may find a 4U rack actually serving you better.
    Why? Dedicating the additional 1U for a quality power conditioner.

I remember when I first got my Kemper thinking I needed a 3U case as well and then realized I really needed a 4U case.

This Shallow SKB I found works well... http://www.skbcases.com/indust…ts/prod-detail.php?id=124
    Kemper's shallow footprint (depth) fits to this case just right yet still remains a very light solution even with the power conditioner.

Now, wherever I go (whether on stage, practice or headphones) I can be always be assured of getting clean power.

Think about it... Most of us have re-rigged from a plethora of equipment. (amps and processors) and these little 3U Kemper's can/are replacing them all. That's both good and bad. (Think: all your eggs in one basket)

If you plan at all on gigging, you'll be surprised to find how much power supply conditions vary between clubs.
    Personally, I want to know the status of the power supply status at a location before even thinking about engaging the On switch.

If you're operating where you know the status of your power, great! Otherwise, this might be something to consider.
    Even if you choose invest in a conditioner later on, I suspect you'll find having the add'l 1U for this purpose will be a great benefit.

I (like many) have the need for an option to perform with my Kemper and concentrate on my music without having to worry about whether my rig is going to topple over somehow.

Whether you use the "toaster" or the a "rack mount", some of the questions I discovered we should be asking:

What height do I want the Kemper stand to operate from?
    How secure is the Kemper within the stand?
    Do I need to interface/reference the controls? (or will my footswitch handle all this)
    Do I want to have my rig facing my audience or position it so I can better reference it.

They're probably other considerations to add as well, but I'll stop here.

I began by using an Amp Stand setup which was OK.
    I even learned that wedging the Kemper above my speaker on the Amp Stand gave me a viewing angle which worked pretty well.

But, since then, I grew weary of:
    1) Having to turn around to reference my patches, etc.
    2) Stooping over to better see the Kemper interface.
    3) Being (mildly) concerned about it's stability.

Knowing what I know now, I'm really liking this On Stage product for several reasons.
    http://onstagestands.com/products/view/117067

1) It's weight capacity is 140 lbs (others average 85 lb's)
    2) Height adjustment goes to 56" or 4 1/2 ft. Others max out around 38"
    3) A additional & separate 6" parallel retainer cage (rather than just a retainer lip)

The locking 5 arm wheels don't bother me at all. Especially given the Kempers modest weight.
    It's really cool to be able to roll around as needed in the studio/stage.

Now on stage, I can reference and interface easily with the Kemper positioning it where I want rather than it being fixed behind me. Yeah, it was my preference to also invest in an Ultimate stand to support my DXR 10.
    But, buying the Ultimate wasn't totally necessary, since I could always "floor stage" it if I really had to.

Plenty of ways to "skin the cat" here, but this is just another option to consider and the best I've found to date.

Hope it helps

*** FWIW - I blocked off the bottom of one the mic holders which now conveniently holds my finger slide ;) ***
    Affixing the drink tray is optional and can either included or not for any purpose you choose.

I just want to be clear in what I'm suggesting.

Nothing dynamic enough to reporting directly to the Kemper from a profile capture.

But just some added fields in the Rig Manager noting the amp settings used during the profile session.
    Yeah... added EQ's will of course affect the resulting tone, but if all EQ is stripped away, we're still talking about the core amp settings being profiled here.

So with the baseline info noted, any + / - tweaks would be relevant to the base capture settings of the given profile.
    i.e. "You gotta know where you are, before you know where you're going" kind of thing.

Given the volume of profiles posted in the Rig Exchange, I'm wondering how many of us actually take the time to follow through and vote for their profile favorites?

If I were to take a poll, I expect it would be a surprisingly small percentage.

I do believe this is important since I (for one) and would venture to say many of us here too zero in on their profile selections using some degree of the voting results.
    Of course personal recommendations and other approaches are used too, so just using voting results isn't entirely conclusive.

Like others, sorting through the exchange, you get to know your favorite profile submitter's which does help in filtering searches.

As near as I can tell, the existing voting practice is a simple "click and select" for the star rating you choose.

I'd like to think voting would be a "feather-in-the-cap" to those who took the time and effort to submit their profiles we use.

As for me, I'm making stronger strives to reciprocate with my favorite profiles as a "Thanks for Sharing"

I guessed I'd be treading on shaky ground proposing such a idea.
    But it seems to me adding the extra fields within the Rig Manager to record these extra settings shouldn't be that difficult.

As always in the profile arena, it's a volunteer army posting profiles to the community anyway.
    But for those inclined, they should have the opportunity to record and post their settings if at all possible.

I do also fully recognize the "let your ears be the judge" argument.

However, say a given profile happens to be "mudded up" under extreme capture settings.
    Having knowledge on how this profile was made might rescue an otherwise disregarded profile for others . You think?

(I'm thinking of an instance where a particularly rare amp is profiled with limited/no other like download options available)

I guess it'll all come down to whether this idea is both practical and feasible enough to warrant incorporating this option into the Rig Manager. (Perhaps this thread better does better belong in either the Rig Manager or Feature Request forums) Monitors???

I suppose nothing could really be done with the 4000+ profiles already out there outside of an edit option, but when there's say 20000+ profiles to scroll through, somebody I gotta believe will be glad we had this info available.

It would certainly seem a less daunting alternative than blind downloads & sound tests based on criteria selections using the existing Gain and Channel info currently available.

First off, to all taking the time to record and submit their amp profiles to the community, I thank you.
    Secondly, if the monitors believe this thread better placed in the Features request section, OK by me to relocate it.

My concern/question:
    As much as I admire the spectrum of all the profiles available, I always wondered whether it be a better practice to profile an amp at it's "sweet spot" or captured with standard neutral settings.
    That's a question for another thread but all things considered, IMHO I believe the sweet spot approach would tend to be the better choice.

This (to me) then begs the question of how anyone downloading a profile would know what settings (beyond the available Chl# ) info settings were profiled.
    Maybe developing some sort of baseline reference feature allowing submitter's to detail their settings could be useful.
    ex. Chl#, Vol, Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence

That way, any personal adjustments thereafter would be from a known standard. (I hope I'm conveying this clearly)

If by chance this info is somehow already available, I'll just chalk it up to me learning more about the wonderful world of profiles. ;)

Call me weird, but I believe there would be a lot of value in having this baseline info known for each profile.

Thx

[/quote] ?? i use the switch 1 jack on the kpa's back with a volume pedal to control the kpa-wha... so you should be able to run 4 expressions at a time (2 fcb, 2 external connected to the switch jacks)[/quote]

That's what I was thinking about! (I knew I read somewhere this could be done)
    So, dedicating switch #2 on the Kemper for Volume and the FCB1010 ports dedicated to Wah & Gain will get me there.

Kind of hard to describe, but the variable gain option as an added function might develop into a new style of playing for me.
    The last time I was able to do anything like this was with my Mesa Triaxis, but it was more limited.
    Chalk this up to another feat of flexibility Kemper offers in it's amazing package.

Thx to all...

Nope. I already had the rack. I just never tried the orientation you described here before.
    I went with the middle (of three) rack height settings as a compromise between stability and view height.

The height and angle of the Kemper are just what I've been looking for. Much more functional and comfortable to edit now.

[Blocked Image: http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL941/12766056/22712292/409428306.jpg]

Love it! I tried your setup using my equipment and it works great. :thumbup:
    It's a tad top heavy mostly due to how the stand balance is offset (by design), but nothing to be overly concerned about.

There's just enough room in the rear for AC access and to let the rear fan on my DXR10 run uninhibited.
    All connections/wiring points remain accessible for both the Kemper and my DXR.

I was actually going to invest in an Ultimate speaker stand, but now I no longer see the need.
    Moreover, with the Kemper's access height being soooo perfect arranged like this, a stand (for my needs) seems impractical now.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Another approach would be to use the volume pedal in front of the amp along with the Amp's internal compressor, which balances clean and distorted sounds in level very well.
    I've not tried it yet, but it might work with the volume pedal alone and would be worth a try.

:)

You may be on to something... Can't believe I didn't think of this.
    I suppose I was growing consumed with developing such a lean stage footprint. (Bravo to Kemper)

Anyway... Incorporating my Ernie Volume to the main input should do the trick to accomplish what I'm looking for.

I still want experiment with dedicating Exp #1 = Gain, Exp #2 = Wah, since volume vs. added gain are sonic-ly different.
    Thx

Following the reviews from this thread, I special ordered the Stagg SPB-10.
    This bag seems popular in Europe but challenging to find here in the U.S.

For U.S. folks, I found Sam Ash as a listed dealer.
    I really liked the side handles and strap carry options offered with this bag.

Ordering it the rep said it'd be $75.00 :pinch:
    However, when I went to pick it up he said it'd actually be $48.85. :thumbup: Yeah baby!

Yeah... for my taste it could use some additional padding on the bottom.
    (I'll probably just add 1/2 or 3/4" foam piece at the base and it'll still fit nicely to my piece of mind)

So, all said, it was worth the wait and I have to agree it's a much better solution than the ill fitting bag Yamaha offers.

Lokasenna - Oooops... my bad. ?(
    I saw the two jacks on the rear panel and was originally thinking of using either switch 1 or 2, but closer research shows that's merely for amp switching.

I guess I'll just need to dedicate one of the expression pedals for that function using the CC#72.
    Thx lightbox... Saves me from looking for it. ;)

Still going to experiment with this approach.
    If it turns out well, Is there a preferred method to set it globally? (Either thru Kemper or the FCB)

I'm actually thinking about adding another external expression pedal to the FCB1010 in order to program for Kemper variable gain settings. (think Aerosmith's Seasons of Wither)

I'd dedicate the external pedal to volume, FCB pedal #1 = Wah, FCB pedal #2

I really think going this way, I could then consolidate the (same amp) clean, crunch, lead modes I'm accessing separately which would free banks up to store additional bank settings of different rigs. :D

Still working things out but right now I've programmed for the following:

01-05 = Acoustic/Piezo
    06-10 = Cleans
    11-20 = Crunch
    21-23 = Driven
    24-25 = Bi-Amp ; )
    26-35 = Song patches $

Running mostly in effects mode, I can swap in and out out the effects I want for that rig. Wah, Modulation etc.

For now, this gives me enough to select from during sets without it being too daunting.
    (I suspect most of us groove with a handful of preferred rig choices anyway and then let our musical prowess extend from there)

Perhaps resurrecting such a dated thread isn't cool, but I figure there are other folks like me still wrestling with this question.

The basic criteria I used was: to find a "neutral" type headphone in the $100 range.
    Since the sounds coming from speakers is more important to me, I kept my budget lean. ;)

Doing a fair amount of research, I narrowed my selections between: (In order of preference)
    Audio Technica ATH-M50, Sony MDR V6 and the Koss Porta Pro. Several runner up's too, but I'll keep it brief

Doing scientific comparisons using tools like the below link does help narrow the field of choices, but that's only the first step.
    http://www.headphone.com/learn…chnical/build-a-graph.php

You gotta go and hear and compare in person!

I was very surprised how well the Koss Porta Pro's performed, but in the end, a closed headphone happened to be what I was in the market for.

The Sony MDR V6 (to me) can be described as studio brutal.
    Meaning: Capable of exposing + / - nuances above the others compared.
    I suspect it's probably for this reason the V6's are so widely used in so many studio's.

I did finally settle in on a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-M50's.

For me, it had great features, and is commonly regarded as the typical benchmark comparison headphone.
    Yeah, the M50's might color the sound a bit, but I wanted something with easier overall listening values, thereby edging out the Sony V6.

There were also some other notable choices out there to consider, which is where the headphone sites can really help someone narrow their particular selections.

The last point to share is to get them from an authorized/qualified resource and beware of the fake reproductions out there. X(

Ingolf - Thx... I should mention your shootout video's were a strong influence with my choice to go with the DXR 10. ^^

Nightlight - The best response I can share is this is a NAMM Parker '04 NiteFly Mojo. I say it like this since searching high and low, I could never find anything in the Parker production info from that year depicting this model. (which is a good thing)

I actually believe it's an earlier trial version of the now out of production P44 Pro line, but can't formally confirm or disprove that notion. (Parker was in the midst of conversion with the US Music sale around then)
    The major differences with it sporting a flamed maple cap, the Seymour Duncan's and all the quality U.S. Parker appointments of that period.

At any rate, it's my third Parker and by far my all time favorite. :D

Greetings all... Been stalking around here for some time and I thought I'd finally chime in a say hello.

For me, Kemper's lean footprint, innovative technology and it's convincing tones simply won me over.
    Most recently, I stepped up to combining my rack with the Yamaha DXR 10 which partners with Kemper like a glove.

I've never sounded so good with such an arsenal of tones available!

[Blocked Image: http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL941/12766056/22712292/409284887.jpg

For such a humble little footprint, there's such a multitude of quality tone to be had.

Bravo Kemper engineering and please keep doing what you're doing.

Cheers