Posts by Andrew_Ongley

I did some recording with my Freqout last night and I have a suggestion of a different feedback type to make a Kemper version even realistic.

The pedal has a selectable harmonic type Sub/1st/2nd etc which is great in the Momentary type behaviour when you play a note and then hold it (like a sustainer type behaviour) but there is also the feedback type where you hit an open string at high volume and let it ring. In this case, the feedback actually shifts between the harmonic modes over time before it decays, which the pedal has no way of replicating.

I managed to achieve this by recording a DI of each harmonic type through the pedal and then using a cross-fade in my DAW to move between them seamlessly over time. I wonder if Some form of algorithm that replicated this could be developed? Perhaps randomised? That would make it an extremely versatile function and bring even more realism to recording at studio levels.

Any reason you're not keen on UHF? I can't fault it, Ideally I'd rather go a/d straight into the Kemper (the Kemper accepting a wireless digital signal) but at the moment you're going a/d/a/d with a digital wireless, (not that any of us could likely pick the difference) but I don't see an obvious benefit

I had the same thought when I was running a Line 6 G90, Kemper and TC Electronic G System. I was literally going A>D>A>D>A>D>A>D>A

I can name loads of pro touring musicians that use a G90 all the time that could afford anything. They must not drop out on them that bad.

I can name pro-touring Musicians, Tour Managers and Soundguy friends of mine who've all experienced the same thing with Line 6 and Shure GLX systems. Sometimes it causes drop outs on the wireless system, other times it causes the venue WiFi to stop working (which is not an acceptable thing for a Tour Manager).

I had to dump mine mid tour, every day I would soundcheck >no problems, my tech would line-check at the start of the show>no problems, start the show, all the cameras come out in the audience, the techs start making adjustments on networked equipment, my guitar is dropping out for 5-10 seconds at a time.

I think you had a bad experience. I've not had any dropouts except when I went for a wander in a very big room, full of people and even then I think it was an issue with my KPA as for some reason the output volume was almost zero into the desk ( never found out how this setting changed).

I ran it for around 10 years with no problems, played very large festivals and toured extensively, it's only since the proliferation of networked equipment and WiFi in venues that it started becoming a problem. There's no strict protocols on 2.4ghz and it's starting to get very messy.

I was using an MXR ZW/Badass OD but the new Kemper drives have made them redundant, plus a lot of my favourite profiles now have boosts baked in. The only external pedal I will still use live is a Digitech Whammy DT, as the pitch shift is still slightly better than the Kemper transpose and my band play in four different tunings.

I was a G90 user for maybe about 10 years, aside from the mentioned battery connection problems it was a really great system. However, in the last few years I've found that data networks and other 2.4ghz network connected systems in venues can cause serious issues, I've had to go back to analogue to stop my guitar from going silent intermittently for 10-20 seconds at a time.

The Soundcraft 2.4ghz mixers in particular do not play well at all with Line 6, and as soon as all the mobile phones come out in the audience then it's game over.

I read about players who have a very small amp anywhere near them (maybe you can feed it with the signal from the Direct Out or you use a splitter) to get feedback. For example:

https://www.thomann.de/de/mars…tack.htm?ref=search_prv_7

I do exactly this with a Headrush as a wedge. I use a slight bump in volume and reduction in gate strength on my lead tones to get sustain and feedback if I hold the note, but then drop the volume slightly and gate harder on my rhythm sounds so it stays tight and doesn't eclipse my in-ear mix.

I am considering a Freqout for low volume recording though, as there's times I'd like to get some feel going.

The only issue I have with my Kemper I can think of atm is, it does not transmit midi CC's. It does Program Change messages, but not midi CC's AFAIK. In order to control my 3 Strymon pedals I need the KPA to do that, so that the KPA can change the patches on all three Strymon pedals "per-profile" in my KPA. BTW- Helix DOES do this, and I think (not sure) the AXE-FX does as well.

I had exactly the same trying to use a Mooer GE300 as a floor controller/live back-up for the Kemper. Patch switching was all fine, but I couldn't use the expression pedal or switch to tuner mode.

I raised a ticket with their support asking when it would be implemented as it looks like there's a space left for it on their GUI and got fobbed off with a 'we'll suggest it to our engineers'. They seem to be more interested in launching new models every few months that break the features down to be modular and creating synth engines that no-one wants.

100% confirmed as working, thanks so much nejo_hh. I don't have an SPDIF connection on my soundcard, but I ran the signal via a Cuniberti and made some level adjustments to the recorded IR before exporting.

Loaded the result into a Mooer GE300, and hey presto, identical sounding cab. I'm now doing some work on the Mooer Tone Capture software to try and capture the pre-amp part of the Kemper profile, so far some pleasing but not 100% accurate results.