Posts by malleus

Kemper Send -> ABY Input, ABY Output Left -> Kemper Return Input, ABY Output Right -> Kemper Alternative Input
    Set the effect in the x- or mod-position to a stereo loop and you're done ;)

Hi current and future Kemper users ;)

I’ve just heard a rumor from my band’s drummer that Kemper plans to make a VST plugin with the Profiler sounds. I don’t know where he got that…and doubt he’s right.

Has anybody heard about that, too? Or can the Kemper staff decline that rumor?

Cheers,
    Stefan

Stereo Loop in X- or Mod-slot, Kemper Send -> Modfactor In, Modfactor Left Out -> Kemper Return, Modfactor Right Out -> Kemper Alternative Input
    But I think you got that right and checked the parameters of the stereo loop, don't you? ;)

Have you tried monitoring your sound in stereo, e.g. via headphone output? I could imagine that the stereo flanger from the Modfactor cancels itself out when summed back to mono in the Kemper. Therefore it could be pretty quiet. So make sure to try other Modfactor stereo effects to avoid that problem.

Either you turn the cabinet emulation of your Laney on and make a full profile or you turn it off and make a preamp profile (therefore activate "no cabinet").

Cabling is the same in both cases:
    Kemper Send/Direct Out -> Laney Input
    Laney DI XLR Out -> Kemper Return

You can also use a DI-box right between the speaker out of the Laney and your cab. That way you hear the sound coloration of the Laney poweramp.

No problem, Malleus, and thanks for the reply. But I actually think the DI400 is attenuating too little and overdriving the return input on the KPA. In this context, "volume too low" is a bogus error message basically indicating that the KPA can't make sense of the returning signal. From the DI400 owner's manual

Of course you can be right that the DI400 is attenuating too little, but I would go and check it ;) Otherwise this thread will include some wild guesses. If you're right and get a really hot signal into your DAW, then try turning your amp down.

Oh sorry, I haven't read the whole thread.

First thing to check is the cabling: Amp Speaker Out -> DI400 Input, DI400 Ouput Jack -> Speaker Cabinet Input and DI400 XLR Output -> Kemper Return
    But I think you've already got that right and didn't confuse in- and output jacks of the DI400 ;)

Try plugging the DI400 XLR Ouput into your interface and record the signal with your DAW. Is that signal also quite low? Then it would be possible that the Kemper gets a signal that's too quiet. I would try to turn the amp louder...maybe that helps. But still you're right that wouldn't make the DI400 an ideal choice as it attenuates the signal too hard.

Is this any guarantee that the same DI boxes will work with the KPA, though? Based on my experiences with the DI-400P, it seems the KPA has specific sensitivities re: attenuation, etc.

Well, all of them can handle speaker level signals and don't have a cab sim or a cab sim, that can be switched off. As those are the only two points Kemper made about useable DI boxes, they should - in theory - work. But of course that's no guarantuee!

From the technical specs the DI-400P should work, too. So please tell us, what was your problem ;)

Removing the feet is easy. So 4u are enough if you are fine with using two power cables or one y power cable. If you want to get some other stuff like a guitar wireless or a power strip with overload protection I would go with 5u.

You've already found the Thon Eco racks, so I assume you might be looking for a lightweight solution. The SKB XRack could fit your needs.
    If you want a superior build quality and great looks, I recommend Tube Town Custom Racks ...of course those are quite pricey :rolleyes:

If you use the monitor output with the "cab off"-option then this is normal as the looper records the full signal with the cab. The cab is subtracted later in the chain and that subtraction differs from rig to rig. That shouldn't happen when you use the same cab on all of your rigs ;)

There are spies from Fractal Audio in these forums and they just stole my idea :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Fractal-land just delivered some DI box suggestions :D

• Suhr ISO Line Out Box
    • Pro Co DB1
    • Whirlwind Director
    • Whirlwind Direct 2
    • ART ZDirect
    • Behringer Ultra-DI DI100
    • Behringer Ultra-G GI100 (with cab emulator off)
    • Behringer Ultra-DI DI600P

Source (at 2:00):

It seems that the Kemper doesn't handle the delayed/reverberated signal from the fx-loop correctly some time after it did other tasks like changing effects or profiles.

I've reported this issue to the support two month ago. They haven't heard of it back then and I had to make sure it wasn't one of my pedals. But I think they've grasped the problem now. They even sent me a firmware beta version, which had volume bug fixes in it...but I'm afraid that didn't help. So I'm still hoping they get that issue fixed in the (near) future ;)

I use an ABY-box in a stereo loop in x-position for that purpose. That works fine with a stereo looper (Ditto, Timeline, or whatever you have) right behind the ABY-box in the loop and also with the Kemper Remote. Just keep in mind that effects in mod/delay/reverb-position provide a stereo signal! So if you've selected to play on your left channel and use those effects, there will be a subtle wet-only signal on the right channel, too.

Likewise, I have just opted for the powered rack over the un- ... For the same reason... What does the IEM do?

The Sennheiser unit is an In Ear Monitoring (IEM) transmitter. I have a belt pack receiver with my headphones, so I can hear myself as I mostly play without a cabinet live. It's also nice to have a "more me"-knob by turning the volume of my headphones up.

And what is your opinion of that Furman considering it only has 2 outlets? (are you UK or US or other?!) I was considering picking one of those up once but heard bad things about power "conditioners" like Furman/Samson etc. and that brands such as TrippLite are more reliable...

I like the Furman because it fits in there nicely because it has these little IEC 13/14 sockets. (I have the EU version.) I once used a normal power strip with overload protection, but those bulky power plugs and wall warts ate up so much space :rolleyes:
    I haven't spotted any failures in the last years. But I have to say that I'm not so picky about all those filters those units have in them. I wanted a voltage overload protection - that's it. For me buying those 500€+ units without real voltage regulation is like spending 100€+ for a power cable...but those are just my 2 cents :whistling:

Here's a photo of how tight everything sits in the back. I really hope that the AxeFx will never sound better than the Kemper as I would have to rebuild my whole rack, which is just 33cm in depth :D

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52391550/malleus%27%20Rig%204_1.jpg]