Posts by glennfin

That's exactly what I'm going to try tonight. Thanks!

Maybe I'll record one track of each to make it easier to compare.. 8)

Try with the preamp connected directly to the console, but go through the Kemper on the way in (Kemper in profile mode). Does it sound different? Use the same cable from guitar>Kemper as you use from guitar>preamp when comparing.

I know this sounds confusing, and I apologize for making everyone crazy...... I'll try to elaborate a bit :S

Here's the issue..... When listening to the preamp I'm going to profile, before the profile process begins, through the profiler = "reference amp" selected on the profiler, it doesn't sound the same as when the preamp is not connected to the profiler (no profiler, just guitar into preamp, preamp directly into console)

Again, that is before the profiling process begins.... just monitoring the reference amp (connected preamp) through the profiler vs monitoring the preamp directly into the console.

More experimenting when I get back to the studio tonight...

This is what I don't understand, how can a profile of a clean mic pre be accurate if the cab is turned on since the cab of the profiler rolls off the highs??

other and I have successfully profiled completely clean mic pres and instrument pres.
    just keep the cabinet of the Profiler enabled, even tho it is a DI profile.

Yes, but I'm trying to profile a preamp which doesn't have a cabinet. What I'm attempting to do is profile a preamp to get the same sound as if the preamp was plugged directly into a console. The cab in the kemper is rolling off the high frequencies which of course is what a guitar cab does.

All users who run their Profiler with CAB off through guitar cabs miss a good part of the tasty sauce. The Profiler can't distinguish perfectly between amp and cab part when profiling. So there's always some important spices of the amp's sound in the cab portion of the profile and vice versa. If someone likes it ... great. But don't expect it to be 100% identical. Not even 90%. :)

Either way, cab on or off, when comparing after the profile is complete, the reference amp doesn't sound like the profiled amp.

The Kemper won't allow you to turn off the cab when profiling... only after the profile process is finished. I noticed if I turn cab off before starting the profiling process, the kemper turns it back on when the profiling process starts.

glennfinn,

could you specify the whole signal chain please? Do you disable the cab section while monitoring thet new profile? Or are you using monitor out with Monitor Cab Off activated?

Sorry... didn't answer your question.... Yes, the cab section is disabled and I'm listening to the main outs, not the "monitor output"

Hi Hell-G.....

Guitar to kemper front panel input, Kemper direct output send to Formula preamp input, Formula preamp output to Kemper return input, kemper main outs to mixing console input, listening on powered studio monitors connected to console output. I assume this is the correct (only) way to profile a preamp. :?:

I did some more experimenting and what i discovered was that the Kemper seems to be adding some sort of pre-emphasis to the signal coming into the return input. During the profiling process, when listening to the "reference amp" it sounds like it's got some sort of HF EQ boost added to it.

What I did to confirm this was to compare the sound of Formula preamp directly connected to the console, (no kemper, just guitar to preamp to console) to the Formula connected to the kemper listening to the reference amp sound during profiling. They are different! The kemper is adding something that's not there with just the guitar - preamp - console. Shouldn't the reference amp sound the same as the reference amp not going through the Kemper?? It's a mystery!

?(

I think I may have posted this in the wrong place initially...

Howdy... I'm right in the middle of profiling my Mesa Formula Preamp and I'm running into an issue trying to get a clean direct sound.

I have the guitar plugged into the kemper front panel input, and the Formula's direct out (non cabinet sim output) going back into the Kemper's return input. When I attempt to make a clean profile with cabinets turned off, the resulting profile always seems to have the high frequencies rolled off, like the kemper is forcing a cabinet on. When I compare the reference amp to the kemper profile, the reference amp has the bright direct sound as if the preamp was plugged directly into my console but the kemper profiles sounds as if the high freq's are being rolled off. Doesn't sound anything like the reference amp.

Any suggestions? It sounds like there is always a cabinet sim even when switched off. I just can't seem to get that same bright direct sound I get from the reference amp. Maybe the KPA can't do a direct non-cab preamp direct sound?

Here is a video I just saw uploaded on youtube from NAMM by sonicstate.

[YOUTUBE]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtNwVfF8GNs

AWESOME!!!!!

Howdy... I'm right in the middle of profiling my Mesa Formula Preamp and I'm running into an issue trying to get a clean direct sound.

I have the guitar plugged into the kemper front panel input, and the Formula's direct out (non cabinet sim output) going back into the Kemper's return input. When I attempt to make a clean profile with cabinets turned off, the resulting profile always seems to have the high frequencies rolled off, like the kemper is forcing a cabinet on. When I compare the reference amp to the kemper profile, the reference amp has the bright direct sound as if the preamp was plugged directly into my console but the kemper profiles sounds as if the high freq's are being rolled off. Doesn't sound anything like the reference amp.

Any suggestions? Does this have something to do with the initial kemper profile I have selected when I start the profiling process?. I just can't seem to get that same bright direct sound I get from the reference amp. Maybe the KPA can't do a direct non-cab preamp direct sound? :S

That's already been explained. There are more windows PC's than macs. No disrespect intended, it's just a simple fact. The majority of musicians I know use Windows based PC's but of course our small sampling of people "we know" is not much of an indication when it comes down to worldwide numbers. ;)
    It would be interesting to see what the ratio is among KPA users on this forum. I wonder if we could do a poll on the forum. Does anyone know if this forum allows polls?
    :?:

2) Nearly all musicians (at least everybody I know) use Macs and I don't understand why there will be Windows-RigManager first.

I don't see the e-moticon definitions when I post from my android and I didn't realize that it was "cursing", but seriously, it's just an e-moticon, nothing to get excited about... I would never use any cus words in the text of a post on a public forum. Sorry If I offended anyone.

Seriously? "cursing"???
    I have rarely seen this e-moticon in this forum, even in the hottest flame topics...I would honestly suggest taking a look and understand the members attitude and the way most handle conversations in here.