Posts by cudbucket

I contacted Kemper and got a label to ship it back and have it removed under warranty. I was told that if I opened the unit, I'd void my warranty. I haven't sent it back yet because I need an outer box for the Kemper box. I also noticed at the bottom of the display, one of the internal cables is visible. I'll ask them to address that as well if possible.

Dave

Brother, I am EXACTLY in the same spot as you, I've sold my KRK's rp5 g2 (VERY bassy and muddy) yesterday and have my eyes set on the FOCAL Alpha 50's, due to a recomendation from a sound-guy I trust. Problem is there is SO LITTLE info on the web, but what little there is, seems to cast them in a positive light.

I will need them , not so much for JUST playing the kemper, but to create (at least) pre-production mixes for my band. I'm thinking about the 50s cause I will be working stricktly nearfiled with the monitors being withing arm's length. The guy who recommended them to me said that ,as a rule of thumb, the Alphas sound MORE massive than their diameter implies, so the 50's sound like 6 or 7 inches and so on. Could be nonsense though.

Anyway, I'm gonna check them out in person this week along with what other monitors the store has in its demo room. Hopefully, I'll come out owning them and will post my impressions here.

Great. Would love to hear what you think of them. I've been reading so much about studio monitors over the last week. I'm of the belief at this point that when it comes to near field monitors in the 5 to 8 inch driver range, it's hard to make a bad choice. I'm sure that if I demo'ed them all I'd have a preference but everything would change if I demo'ed them in my home. I'm sure if I bougth JBL LSR305s or Yamaha HS8s or the Focals, I'd be happy and they'd all sound great.

My room is 13x12 so according to what I'm reading, I should be fine with a 5" driver. Yet, you'll get tons of recommendations to go with an 8" driver because it's "better". Well those larger drivers also come with higher powered amps and that probably won't work in my room. I'm not worried about bass when it comes to playing the Kemper because I'm a guitarist. I played my 7 string through the Rokit5's all the time and never felt I was missing chunk or bottom. Now for mixing, I know it's a different story but I could add a sub-woofer for that.

There are tons of great deals on eBay and other online vendors. Have to admit the "buy one get the 2nd half off" deal on the Mackie MR models is really tempting. But the JBL LSR305s have SO MANY positive reviews. More so than the Yamaha HS line. Still the Yamahas are very popular here. I wonder if that's got anything to do with the fact that the DXR10s are also strongly in favor here?

The only thing I'm sure of is that I'll probably be mounting my monitors on stands instead of my desk. I like the idea of less weight on the desk and I've already moved my desk a bit to clear room for the stands.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the Focals. For a monitor with a 5" driver, it has a pretty big enclosure which I think helps extend the low end a bit and make the monitors sound "bigger".

Take care.
    Dave

Thanks for replying. I'm looking at the Alpha 50s but am strongly considering the Yamaha HS8, JBL LSR308 and even the Dynaudio BM5A MkII. I know there's a "big" difference between those but when I work myself up to buying the Dynaudios, I always ask, am I really getting that much more quality than with the other monitors that are significantly less expensive?

So I'm totally torn right now. It seems on this forum, Kemper users are happy with the JBL 305s, 308 and the Yamaha HS line. So I don't think either of those is a mistake, I just start over-thinking the issue I guess. Sometimes I wonder if I even need an 8" driver. My room is about 13x12. My Rokit 5s never seemed under powered in this room. So I think a 5" driver will be fine.

I know some guys talk about having an 8" driver because it will be more "amp in the room" like, but that really goes against the whole FRFR thing. My kemper with an power amp and real cab should sound like an amp in the room. But through studio monitors I expect it to sound like a mic'ed rig in a control room. So I don't buy the whole "bigger driver is best" in a studio monitor.

We'll see what happens.

Hey guys,

I have an immaculate white unpowered toaster and would really prefer the rack version. Not a mark on it and all the lights work. It's as new. I'd like to trade straight up. I'm in New York. I don't post much here but I'm a regular a Rig-Talk.com, JohnPetrucci.com and others. My eBay ID is dfrattaroli.

So if you want a toaster, let me know.

Thanks.
    Dave

Has the work on an editor been suspended? Just curious. As someone who's Kemper is sitting next to my iMac for use through my DAW, I'd love an editor. Even though the KPA is nearby, it just makes the workflow more fluid when everything is on the same monitor.

Can I just ask - why do you want new studio monitors?

Good question. It took me a long time to get a direct tone, that I thought was usable, with any modeler till this point. But the KPA through the KRKs sounds great. The odds that this set of monitors are the best sounding to me, are small as these are only the 2nd pair I've ever owned. The probability that another pair will sound better to me is high. So I figure I'd at least look into it. But sure, I could be happy by just keeping these.

Dave

Thanks for the kind comment Dave!

The profiles posted were culled from hundreds done, while I like them there will be better versions to come as I don't feel they are perfected. It is tough to get a profile that is super well balance and translates to a wide variety of situations. I am glad you can see this and actually that is my goal, through EQ I try to find the perfect spot (for me) where the sound is the best for all styles of my playing, I have spent countless hours adjusting EQ's to get to this point (way before the Kemper arrived.) It seems that most of the time one technique will sound best at one setting and the other at another, well, these techniques are all a part of my playing style so I need a sound that translates them all with equal presentation.

Tim

Well I look forward to your other efforts. One of the things I like about the way the profiles are presented is that the ones I've tried, have no pedals active. Like delay or chorus etc. If you have some that do, I've yet to try them. I know we can just hit a button and turn them on but when I demo a tone, I want to hear the tone in it's dry state. Effects are so personal that I think they should just be left off. We may just have similar tastes in EQ because I literally don't even turn a knob.

Just a fantastic sounding recto. Thanks again.

Dave

Hey guys,

I've recently started using my KPA through my KRK Rokit 5's. I go SPDIF into a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, then firewire into an iMac. Sounds very, very good. Now I'm thinking I don't need something as large as a DXR10. What would you all recommend that would be "better" than KRK Rokit 5's. Keep it under $1000 a pair. What about $500 a pair.

Thanks.
    Dave

I don't post here much. But I logged in today just to comment on how good these Triple profiles are. And by that I mean, out of the "box". No adjustments made by me at all. They're really great. What I love about them is they sound excellent no matter what guitars I use and that's not something I can say about most of the free profiles I've tried.

Great job deadpan.

Dave

Dave! Yes, It's me lol!! How are you? I got the CLR new and I'm going to see if I can land another one real soon :) hope all is well!! BTW, I thought that you were selling your MKIV or am I wrong?

I did try to sell it and the cab as well but I ended up hanging on to it. I couldn't let it go. I also love my Bogner 4x12 but I would have to sell something to pull off the Atomic. Take care man!

Dave

Is that you Ralph? Dave here.

I've had a Kemper for a few months. Running it through an EH 22 Caliber and Bogner 4x12. Still have my Mark IV/Recto 4x12 as well but I've been itching to try FRFR. I've heard nothing but raves about the Atomic CLR. Did you get yours new? Seems like I'm more likely to find Flight 370 than one of these cabs.

Dave