Posts by Calaban

"Inappropriate reverb" is of course all a matter of opinion. I happen to love my guitar just swimming in the stuff. The more it sounds like the guitars of the 60's the better!

to each their own.
    I'm glad you got it figured out!

The CK Reverberator rig I created had feedback of 100-102%. I didn't have this issue, but then again, with the settings I used, there was no fade out.

Try it with the Feedback at about 90%...I'm curious about your results.

I noticed today that I mis-spoke earlier when I said it gets worse over 100%. It's actually on the fade out when you hear the distortion.

That being said, I did notice today that when the Feedback is at 100% and I mess with the Bandwidth, Freq, Mod etc...it introduces distortion. This may also happen at setting lower than 100% Feedback but I have not tried that yet.

I actually think the KPA delays are quite nice sounding. If this issue could be fixed I could easily get through a gig using no external delays.

I'll keep experimenting and try to upload some new recordings.

Yeah im definitely getting the same thing. Just under 88-89% feedback seems to be ok but anything above that and it occurs, regardless of other settings or time. I can get it with a 1 ms delay using 99.9% feedback.

Its not just a bit crushing distortion, but the delay unnaturally fades out quicker than it should.

Oh wow...thanks for checking it out, but that is kind of a bummer. I was hoping it was just my unit and maybe a system reset might resolve it.

I really hope there is a fix for this. I want to be able to do really long delays as well as self oscillating craziness without that bit crushed sound at the end.

Regardless, the KPA is the best piece of gear I have ever purchased. I'm certain they'll figure it out.

Ok folks here's a recording I made of the problem.

I only did one recording using the 'Tap Delay', but this same thing happens with every delay type.

I boosted the signal significantly so it would be easier to hear but you still might have to turn your speakers up or use headphones. It really becomes noticeable at around 0:12 and you'll hear how choppy and distorted it gets at the end.

This happens using headphones, into my DAW, through a guitar cab, and through my DXR10. Basically it happens no matter what the setup is.

-The 'Feedback' was set to 95%....it gets really bad when feedback is over 100%
    -Bandwidth, Frequency, Modulation, Ducking, and Volume were all set to '0.0' (although the same thing happens no matter what the settings are.

Any thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/calaban…per-delay-distortion-demo

PS - I was using the D/13 FTR37 Clean rig from TAF, but it happens on every profile.

Understood. Yes, an audio clip would be a good plan. Sharing an example rig for people to try would be useful, too. If you don't want to put a "problem" on the Rig Exchange, Dropbox is a good way to do it.

Oh oh yeah good idea I hadny thought of that

luckily my recording software seems to be working again so I'll post a clip tomorrow

Recording?

I'll try to do something tomorrow, although my recording software (Reaper) has been giving me problems lately. I might have to fix that first.

From the Reference Manual:

At high “Feedback” settings you get a tape delay sound, complete with infinite oscillation and tape-saturation effect. For the tape delay saturation we use the softest saturation algorithm possible. The modulation will even give a mono delay a full stereo width, creating an airy effect on stereo delays, and adding wow and flutter to a typical tape delay sound.

This is not what I'm hearing. I know what that sounds like. The problem I'm having is a distorted sound.

Hi all,

I have had this problem since I got my Kemper but I've been having so much fun with it that I haven't dealt with it until now.

When I set the delay for many repeats - let's say 90% or higher - the last repeats get quite mangled sounding. They become very distorted for lack of a better term. I don't think it's supposed to be this way.
    It's really a problem because in one of my bands we get into some fairly psychedelic ambient stuff, and I want to be able to have very long clean delays.

It doesn't matter which type of delay I'm using - Tap, Free, or Analog - and it doesn't matter what the settings are. To rule out the different parameters I set Frequency, Bandwidth, Modulation, and Ducking all to zero.
    It almost sounds like an old low bitrate digital delay from like the 70's or early 80's or something (I'm not really sure if that's the right term or time period, but on my Timefactor I can lower the 'bits' to get the same kind of sound I'm hearing on the Kemper)

Anyone else have this problem?

I definitely heard it at :14 after you pointed it out.

I have experienced similar things but haven't noticed it in a while. Maybe they fixed it in a firmware update or I'm just used to it now. What firmware version are you running?

To be fair I haven't heard many stories like this. I think it works just fine for the vast majority of people but it IS a computer and they can be prone to crashing....

I have a feeling - based on nothing whatsoever - that having a smaller number of profiles probably helps to minimize such occurrences

That is NOTHING but a gut feeling