Posts by Calaban

D'OH!

Fixed in the original post.

Bank 1 = MIDI 1-5
    Bank TWO = MIDI 6-10 (fixed a typo)
    Bank 3 = MIDI 11-15

Thanks for fixing! The original post left me very confused, but I figured I was just missing something because this is so new to me!

While a looper would be a nice addition, I certainly do not need something complex. A simple ditto style would be fine. I would sooner like to see insert loops on the board, where I could insert my distortion and fuzz pedals, loopers, etc and be able to take them right out of the chain if I wish.

+ a billion

I was considering trying it out, but the project seems to have been abandoned.

The Kemper NEEDS an editor though.

The controls on the unit itself are great and very intuitive....they did an AMAZING job with the UI.

But a full fledged desktop computer editor is badly needed in my opinion.

Performance Mode will respond to the first 128 MIDI PC changes without a bank command, if that is enough.

Bank 1 = MIDI 1-5
    Bank 3 = MIDI 6-10

Hmm that might be useful...I'll have to check that out. I haven't investigated Performance Mode at all yet. Thanks for the tip!

I don't currently have an FCB1010 now, but when I did, I named my rigs so that the PC nbr was a prefix for the name. For example:

!01-FirstRigName
    !02-SecondRigName
    ... etc

The exclamation point was simply to put them all first in the sort. Of course, that was prior to Performance Mode, which might make such naming impossible, since different performances would use different groupings and sequences...

Yes that would work, but I'd really like a way to view all my MIDI assigned rigs in browse mode without having to rename them. Sorting them by PC would be the perfect solution.

Please Kemper team!

I have already begun doing that, but if I want to view them all grouped together in the browser I would need to rename them. I have my MIDI assigned rigs named by song section at the moment, but in order to view them all together I would have to rename them with some kind of tag at the beginning which would put them in sequential order and group them together. Being able to sort by PC would be a much better solution.

Performance mode probably won't work for me because the foot controller I have (and the new one I want to get) does not send MIDI bank commands.

I like that idea, too, but.... I think the first factory 128 rigs are mapped to the first 128 PC numbers, so, you would still see pretty much the same information as you can currently see where you tie the rigs to PC numbers.

That's good to know. But I have gotten rid of many factory rigs that were not to my liking, and replaced them with mainly TAF, Top Jimi, MBritt, and Soundside profiles.

I will be reassigning PC number based on songs that my band plays. For example, song 1 uses PC 1 for the verse, but the profile is number 376. It uses PC 2 for the chorus, but the profile is number 241 etc etc.

I think sorting them by PC number would be a great way to bring all your MIDI assigned rigs/profiles together, no matter what number they are in your Profiler. And you wouldn't have to rename them to go with along with you PC number. Make sense?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your reply.

Cal

The 'tube amps only' crowd is a dying breed. I was one of them....

I think most old timers were first exposed to digital/modeling amps when the POD and other similar products came out. Those products were a bit sterile in my opinion. Many people heard them and said, "see? digital can't do it" and then they made the assumption that digital would never be able to do it.

When I first heard about the Kemper (long before it was released) I was as skeptical as they come. When I saw the first videos I was blown away.

I still haven't used mine in a live situation. I expect it will be strange at first through my DXR10 and will take some getting used to...for me and my bandmates.
    But the audience, hearing my guitar though FOH, will not be able to tell the difference...even the tube snobs.

I would love to be able to limit my list of rigs in the browser to just the rigs with assigned PC numbers.

If this can already be done somehow, please disregard.

Would anyone else find this to be useful?

Cal

I used to have a Musicomlab EFXIII. I believe you can put the pedals into the loops and send a midi message to the unit to switch them on or off. If the Kemper will send the corresponding midi message to it's thru/out port when you press a button on the KFC, that might work. I guess this won't be something that everyone needs and may not be supported by the Kemper team though.

Yes you can definitely control the Musicomlab with another MIDI unit, and I'm going to assume it's possible for the KPA to be the "master" if you will. But that's part of the problem....I'm just assuming right now.

The other problem is that that would mean having TWO controllers, and I'm not going to do that.

What would be perfect for me would be if the KFC had maybe 3 loops in which to put a few pedals....loops that could be programmed into the presets just like the EFX III. In other words, a programmable loop switcher just like the EFX III that was built specifically with the Kemper in mind as well. But unfortunately, as much as I'd like it, the world doesn't revolve around my guitar wishes! :P

I have a feeling I'm just going to get the EFX MKIV which was just released - 5 presets per bank, more PC's, more CC's, a song mode and a setlist mode, copy and past of presets and full banks etc...but who knows?

I just don't know enough about the KFC to decide yet, but the lack of loops for pedals is a bit of a strike against it for me.

Yes what I'm envisioning is probably overkill.

If the KPA would allow expression pedal control of any parameter on a per rig basis, that would go a long way toward giving me what I want. Hopefully in a future FW update they will allow this.

Before opening it up, I would check with Kemper to see if that voids the warranty.

It might not still be under warranty if it was knocked over, but I personally would like to be sure of that before I went digging around in there.

If you want to switch them independently of changing Kemper sounds, yes, you would need a separate controller.

I want it to work the way my setup does now, but also controlling the Kemper.

Right now I have a pedal switcher which has loops on it, and I can create presets that pull different combinations of these pedals in and out of my signal chain. I run this setup into the front of my Fender Pro Reverb.

So for instance, I have one preset that has the Fuzz and the Timefactor (set to analog delay) and when I hit the next preset it gets rid of the Fuzz and pulls in my Tubescreamer, and switches to a different preset on my Timefactor.

I would love a way to have this same control over my external pedals, while also switching rigs and effects on the KPA.

My existing controller can do this (and I am considering upgrading to the newest model), but I also want to have the 4 EXP pedals, and I'm not sure I'll be able to make that happen. I would like one EXP pedal dedicated to my monitor volume, and 3 more freely assignable to Kemper effects or my Timefactor and possibly Mobius as well.

I can have one each that plug directly into the Timefactor and Mobius....no problem there. I was also thinking of getting the Mission for Kemper EXP, which would plug into the back of the Kemper and control Delay and Mod speed/depth, since it is a dual EXP. That leaves one more pedal that would plug into my Musicomlab and control my Monitor volume via CC's.

I might be asking for too much here! I'm not even sure such a setup is possible.

And honestly I don't yet know if I'll need that much control, but I am fairly fidgety about my sound onstage, and I have gotten to the point where I have no patience for bending over and fiddling with knobs while I'm playing.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the slight derail!

I think I read that the Kemper sends the corresponding MIDI program changes through the MIDI Thru/Out jack. You could send program changes to it that go along with the Performance Slots.

Hmm...

I suppose this would work for the Delay! (Timefactor)

How could I make it work with the Fuzz and Vibe? They are not MIDI controllable.

My goal is to leave the pedals ON at all times and be able to switch them in and out of my signal chain. I suppose I could get another very small bypass strip that responds to MIDI commands and put them in that....?

I'm not very well versed in this stuff so trying to plan it all out in my head is causing some brain melt.

I'm very much looking forward to the KFC, but it won't be the perfect solution for me.

I think it will be GREAT as a foot controller for the KPA of course, but I am planning to use external pedals as well (Fuzz, Delay, and Uni-vibe) and I would like to write those pedals into my presets.
    This can be done with my Musicomlab EFX unit because it's also a programmable true bypass switcher with MIDI, but I don't know how I'll do this with the KFC.

Maybe there will be some workaround.....anyone have any ideas?

I have found the same exact thing. It should come as no surprise if you have searched years for just the right Fuzz or Vibe that one might be feeling that the Kemper has not replaced those effects. I have a London Germanium (3knob) among many other wonderful fuzzes, the Skreddy Lunar Module, Analogman Sunface BC 183 to name a few of my favs. My Sweetsound Ultra Vibe II and Drybell Vibe Machine are still preferred, My Strymon El Capistan, Timeline, Mobius and Bigsky have yet to be topped, and the Catalinbread Echorec is missed as well.

So what amp profiles are working best for you as a canvas? Even with real tube amps some work better with pedals than others.
    Any go to profiles?

I actually haven't tried any of my pedals with the Profiler yet!
    I've had the KPA for about 2 months and I have just been messing with it's internal FX...enough to know that they will be useable in some situations and not in others. I haven't even used it in a live/rehearsal situation yet...just alone in my house at the moment.

Once I try some stuff out I will report back!