Posts by Calaban

As for live use, I find the QC to be - possibly - a much better user experience than my Kemper Rack. I won't know until I try it of course.

I have used the Rack on countless gigs and it has been OK. But I'm tired of carrying it around. If I can stuff the QC in a guitar case and carry my speaker that will be a big help to my aging and aching bones.

I have never tried the Kemper foot controller. Too pricey on top of the $2700 I paid for the Rack back in 2014. It does look cool. But I'm not a big morphing guy. I have a BJ Devices Midi controller with a built in exp pedal that has worked just fine. With the QC I'll be able to leave that at home as well.

Not worried at all about people spilling drinks on my unit. Not at most of the venues I play.

All of the above is dependent on the Qc sounding good to me. If it doesn't work sound-wise, I'll continue to gig with the Kemper.

Honestly???

Very skeptical of the "best pitch effects I've ever tried" line.

Yeah it's just another opinion, of course. I have not tried it yet, but I tend to squint when I hear things like "best pitch effect ever!"

They were specifically comparing it to the Digi Drop pedal and the Axe FX, if I recall.

I have found that even going just a whole step down on the Kemper results in noticeable latency. It sounds great! But I notice the lag.

8. The pitch effects on the QC ... they're serviceable. The whammy has the warbly whammy thing to it.... it's okay... good enough for my needs, but if you're super super super picky about this, you might wanna keep your whammy hanging around! For me, the QC is better simply because the whammy block offers a wet/dry mix control, which is essential for a few atmospheric pitchy things I do.

Interesting. Other users have reported that the QC has the best pitch effects they've ever tried.

I am not a big transpose/pitchbend guy. At most I would use it to downtune by a half step. If it can handle that without any problems I'll be good to go.

Thanks for the review btw...great job.

and some others ...

Hi guys, this is just polite question. I wonder why are you installing beta version?

I wanted to try the context menu thing. It’s one of my favored feature requests.

I have installed the beta version a number of times in the past without trouble. It was bound to happen at some point.

Now I just want to get it fixed.

I wish someone could tell me what to do with that driver removal script...

I managed to open Rig Manager without the Kemper connected and update the software.

It installed version 3.1.58.16458. I think this is the Beta version because the latest version available here https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads/12/Rig-Manager is version 3.0.145.

Funny thing is it used to say Beta Version on the splash screen but now it doesn't.

So I don't know where I'm at. This new version does not recognize my Kemper.

I guess I'll just try to uninstall the driver and then reinstall a NON Beta version of RM.

Tried to update to the Beta version last week. It went horribly wrong.

Windows 10.

Now I can start the Beta version if my Kemper is off, but if the Kemper is on it won't start and I get a notice saying I have two versions on my computer and I need to reinstall it.

But Windows won't let me uninstall either version.

So now Rig Manager is basically broken. Not sure what to do.

How do uninstall it if it just hangs? I'm using the add/remove programs feature in Windows.

I don’t know how many more ways ColdFrixion can tell us that the QC is not for him because of file management. But it’s clear to me that he’s very certain we all need to know how he feels about it.

Is this true?

Yes I believe so.

If I’m not mistaken, QC can do captures of:

- full rig

- preamp

- poweramp

- cab

- OD pedals

I understand that people are concerned that you can’t separate the cab from the amp in full rig captures like you can in the Kemper. But again, the Kemper just makes a best guess. It does a good job, but I rarely swap out cabs on the KPA so for me it’s not a big deal.

I will be doing direct captures my Pro Reverb and using those with the factory IR’s. I think it will sound quite good.

In a live situation I am still a tube amp guy. We’re just not there yet with modeling/profiling, in my opinion.

It may be that the problem lies with monitoring...I know that I have not fully embraced the FRFR paradigm, and I’ve thrown good money after bad trying to find the right one. None of them do it for me...yet.

In the home studio, I cannot see any reason to use anything BUT my Kemper and possibly my

hopefully-soon-to- arrive Quad Cortex. The ease of setting up and getting a great tone is everything to me, and since I don’t have a good space to mic up my amp, nor the knowledge/experience/desire to do it well, there is no better solution than going digital.

The final piece of the puzzle for me, being a home recording enthusiast, was the Digitech FreqOut. No more blasting my monitor as and standing awkwardly above my desk trying to get that sustain and feedback. No, the FreqOut is not a “perfect” representation of true guitar feedback, but if massaged just right and mixed well it is indistinguishable, for the most part.

Kemper and Neural ABSOLUTELY should build a version of this into their products. I am dismayed that none of the big modelers have this. It really does bring it THAT much closer to the “real deal.”

If I had the money, I would always record in a great studio with real tube amps and a great engineer who was willing to mic everything up and do the grunt work. That is still the standard, but since that is not a reality, digital is the next best thing.

QC - Full rig captures cannot be divided into amp/cab like they can in the Kemper.

But keep in mind that when you switch cabs in a studio profile on the KPA, the KPA is making its “best guess” as to which part of the profile is the cabinet. It does a surprisingly good job, but it is not perfect.

I believe that is why Kemper introduced direct profiles. I have used some direct profiles with IR’s on my computer when recording and they tend to sound better than the studio profiles, to my ear. I think it’s because I have greater control over the Cab sound at that point.

I have never messed with “merged” or whatever....that whole part seemed too confusing and clunky to be of interest to me.

I have not had great success finding profiles with baked in pedals, but I think it’s because I wasn’t the one who dialed in the pedal, rather than a problem with the KPA.

I have not tried profiles with stacked OD’s baked in. Maybe the KPA does struggle in such a situation.

Come on now....stop talking sense!

You’re being far too reasonable.