Posts by GASbag

Picked up the grande finale pack while on a trip last week. Looking forward to some amps in particular like the Matamp and the Vox, but I bet there'll be some good surprises among the ones I'd normally overlook as well.

Great to see you're back and I'll definitely be picking up several profile packs. Just FYI, I was unable to get beyond the home page from my iPad (both Safari and Chrome app). For instance, when I click on the "Profiles" tab, nothing happens. Works fine on my laptop though.

Pack is fine for me, but I think if you have a really "magical" amp then I think it's a shame to only have a few profiles. Bert's 1962 Showman is one that comes to mind as that's my go-to profile for Fender clean now. The CAE 3+ and Rover are others I use a lot and wouldn't mind seeing more of. Depends really have many "sweet spots" an amp has, and I'm not recommending putting out a plethora of single packs where it becomes a bit more of a business rather than a labor of love. It may also get a bit complicated charging twice for profiles that are both in the big pack and the ones in the single packs. Unless the single packs are complete complements and sold and priced as add-ons to the base pack. For instance, buy the big pack first, and for a certain amount more you get more of a specific amp in the pack.

I didn't download these profiles yet, but I have close to 20 of your packs, and always enjoy the profiles with heavy effects. Not that I'd use all of them, but I sometimes across some great tones that otherwise wouldn't have been on my radar.

I bought a 1992 Tyler recently that came with a Seymour Duncan mini-JB in the bridge. The bridge/middle combination isn't that great if you want quack, but the bridge has grown on me. It's very hot and compressed sounding to me, but I like it as its own thing. I wouldn't go for it if it was my only strat though and you want the classic strat sound.

A common mod is to put a bottom plate on the bridge pickup (Bare Knuckle sells them, among others), to increase the magnetic flux through the coil. Else I agree you could contact a boutique winder who can recommend something specific for your needs.

I also didn't realize the Kemper pack are new profiles, not a sampler of the first pack. Looking forward to trying them, as well as your second pack. I would totally buy MB-style mini-packs of some of your amps (like the Showman). Likewise I hope with your reputation in profiling, amp owners will start popping up offering their amps for profiling.

I noticed the same 1-2 weeks ago but then it came up again, so hopefully it's to do with the change to the new website.

That seems a lot more complex. What the Kemper PA do is somehow model the chain between guitar output and mic preamp output. If you want to lengthen that chain to before the pickups, what's your input signal there? Maybe at some point in the future you could have some kind of RFID chip in a plectrum that tracks your hand movements and converts that in to a signal (also thereby modeling the wood and strings). That could probably be done even with today's technology, but will probably be a while before it will be good enough to please us corksniffers.

Wow, thanks a lot. That's the most in-depth review of this unit that I've seen, and it seems fair and balanced. If they brought out a chorus/phaser pedal, I'd be on it like white on rice, but otherwise it seems like it has some annoying limitations. I hope they keep updating it but my impression is sales have been very weak so I'm not counting on it. For me it's not just about the price (I'll spend that on yet another guitar I don't need, so why not on the best chorus/phaser you've ever heard?) but also that I live in a relatively small apartment and I have enough gear cluttering up my place as it is.

Anyway, I endorse your feature request. Great suggestion.

Those tones starting around 4.25, 7.40 and 8.10 are up there with my favorite tones ever. I love the super lush sound of the first and the spanky cleans of the latter. Shame the unit has such shortcomings otherwise, like not even a USB port for future updates and that clunky interface. It's still on my radar because of the few great tones though.

Schneidas, did you buy it and return it to the store, or was it a friend's?

Well, yes, I prefer 10 dollars myself. :) But if it's too cheap everybody would just buy the small Dumble pack. I like those tones, but I already have some Dumble clone profiles so it's really just a profile or 5-10 of an original one that I'd like and it's not really worth $50 to me.

As for the colonial pack, I'm not sure, but I suspect I could get very close to at least 80% of the demo'd tones. I like a couple of the other 20% a lot though, so I'm still undecided. Also digesting 2 new guitar purchases. :)

Would love a Dumble mini-pack, even at a relatively higher price (like 25 bucks) for the Dumble profiles only.

I'm intrigued by this Colonial pack, but I'm drowning in Marshall profiles so I'm not sure.

For me the main negative is not having an editor. The front panel is as good as they come, but still more cumbersome than getting everything laid out on a big screen. That's about it for me. I welcome the additional effects, but I wasn't really waiting for them as I have some Strymon boxes and an H9. Happy with the product overall. I follow with interest what Fractal and Line 6 come out with, but no hair on my head thinks about dumping the Kemper for them.

That's what I expect. I've owned all kinds of guitars and always keep going back to Strats. I've never played a Tyler but have only heard good things, including people owning super-expensive ones like Lentz Reserve and D'Pergo, then to go back to Tyler.