Posts by Trainwrecktwostep

nightlight, thanks for responding: I had dialed through all of the possible Output settings and just landed on that one when I finally gave up. I do generally use the Stack setting and add Effects in my DAW. Reamping will work on either of these settings, though-it's just that you convert analog to digital when you don't even need to, if your signal's loud enough, so why do it? If I understand, I believe that was your question.

I figured it out! It was a routing issue on two points:

1. I have my Focusrite S/PDIF out settings on DAW 5, which means that you count down 5 outputs in the Outputs of the I/O sections (counting each stereo output as two, a mono output is one, etc.) and drop the Reamp Output in there at position 5. Just because it's set to DAW 5 in the Focusrite Scarlett mix software. So, the new screenshot of Input Settings shows the Reamp input in the correct position.

2. I had the Profiler L/R Input routed on Analog 1 and Analog 2, instead of S/PDIF 1 and S/PDIF 2, as can be seen in the screenshots.

Nothing was wrong with the Bus settings, although they do need to be weeded out a bit.

So, it would've been that the track recording the reamped signal was looking to the Profiler Input, which was never actually receiving a signal from the Kemper's S/PDIF. I knew something was up when this morning, I hit the PreFadeListen button in the Focusrite software, and I could hear the reamp, just like yesterday I could hear the reamp when I ran straight from the Kemper into some monitors.

Thanks again!

nightlight, thanks for responding: I had dialed through all of the possible Output settings and just landed on that one when I finally gave up. I do generally use the Stack setting and add Effects in my DAW. Reamping will work on either of these settings, though-it's just that you convert analog to digital when you don't even need to, if your signal's loud enough, so why do it? If I understand, I believe that was your question.

I figured it out! It was a routing issue:

Input Settings: I had the Profiler L/R Input routed on Analog 1 and Analog 2, instead of S/PDIF 1 and S/PDIF 2, as can be seen in the screenshots.

Nothing was wrong with the Bus or Output settings, although the Busses do need to be weeded out a bit.

So, it would've been that the track recording the reamped signal was looking to the Profiler Input, which was never actually receiving a signal from the Kemper's S/PDIF. I knew something was up when this morning, I hit the PreFadeListen button in the Focusrite software, and I could hear the reamp, just like yesterday I could hear the reamp when I ran straight from the Kemper into some monitors.

Thanks again!

Folks, I really am stumped here. And I am going mad! I am using all
    settings that have worked before: I/O settings in Pro Tools, same
    session with same track properties, etc., same routing settings in my
    Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, same Kemper settings/connections. When I tried
    just using the previously successful session in order to have another reamping
    session, it wouldn't work (I'll explain below). So, using the same
    session, I tried reloading my previously successful I/O settings file
    into that session. When that didn't work, I tried a whole new session
    starting from scratch (I have videos showing all settings/connections
    which I hoped would end this nonsense). Replicating everything from my
    videos (it also shows those settings reamping successfully)
    did not work. I have also tried other previously successful sessions
    which are set up to reamp. I've also tried different things like
    different rigs, restarting everything, reconnecting everything,
    unplugging all but the necessary connections, also reinstalling Pro Tools 11.3.1 and the Focusrite software/drivers--you know, when you go to
    the freezer to look for your car keys, that sort of desperation, but I
    get the same results:

On the Kemper, as the clip-to-be-reamped plays through it, both input
    and output lights are flashing yellowish, as I've seen before. So that
    part of the chain seems good... And when I listen to my Kemper through a
    Main Out into a monitor, I hear the clip being reamped. But it's not
    hitting the Reamping Track at all! If I
    switch the output on my Pro Tools track to my monitors, I can hear my
    dry, un-reamped clip, but as soon as I switch the Output back over to
    the Reamp bus, it's gone. I realize this may be a Pro Tools question,
    and I'm heading over to the DUC after this, but I wanted to post here as
    well, in case I am doing something wrong Kemper-wise.

As anyone gracious enough to look will see, I think my connections and
    settings are correct? I haven't shown the S/PDIF connection, but it's reamping,
    through my monitor, so that should be fine. I do have the tracks armed
    to record, and I can record on these tracks if I switch my inputs to my
    Scarlett inputs as usual.

What gives? Anything look wrong? Thanks in advance.

Folks, I really am stumped here. And I am going mad! I am using all settings that have worked before: I/O settings in Pro Tools, same session with same track properties, etc., same routing settings in my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, same Kemper settings/connections. When I tried just using the previously successful session in order to have another reamping session, it wouldn't work (I'll explain below). So, using the same session, I tried reloading my previously successful I/O settings file into that session. When that didn't work, I tried a whole new session starting from scratch (I have videos showing all settings/connections which I hoped would end this nonsense). Replicating everything from my videos (it also shows those settings reamping successfully) did not work. I have also tried other previously successful sessions which are set up to reamp. I've also tried different things like different rigs, restarting everything, reconnecting everything, unplugging all but the necessary connections--you know, when you go to the freezer to look for your car keys, that sort of desperation, but I get the same results:

On the Kemper, as the clip-to-be-reamped plays through it, both input and output lights are flashing yellowish, as I've seen before. So that part of the chain seems good... And when I listen to my Kemper through a Main Out into a monitor, I hear the clip being reamped. But it's not hitting the Reamping Track at all! If I switch the output on my Pro Tools track to my monitors, I can hear my dry, un-reamped clip, but as soon as I switch the Output back over to the Reamp bus, it's gone. I realize this may be a Pro Tools question, and I'm heading over to the DUC after this, but I wanted to post here as well, in case I am doing something wrong Kemper-wise.

As anyone gracious enough to look will see, I think my connections and settings are correct? I haven't shown the S/PDIF connection, but it's reamping, through my monitor, so that should be fine. I do have the tracks armed to record, and I can record on these tracks if I switch my inputs to my Scarlett inputs as usual.

What gives? Anything look wrong? Thank in advance.

Have you tried comparing the sound of (Instrument-Kemper-interface-monitors-headphones) without going through your DAW? Does that sound any different to you then listening after you put your DAW at the end of the chain and into the monitors/headphones? I have done A/B tests and consistently notice a difference in the sound, all else being equal. I posted this in the ProTools forum as well, and Katherine from Focusrite suggested it was possibly the sound of Pro Tools' engines that I didn't like. Some of the sparkle is taken out of the guitar sounds, duller, as you mentioned. I've tried using Reaper and Sequoia DAW's to test this, and Reaper sounds the closest. I still use Pro Tools though, because I like using it. By the time I combine guitar tracks and drop it in the mix, it is unnoticeable.

Maybe your problem is different- maybe it's dull straight out of your interface into your speakers as well?

Thanks for the review man! I just got an email from him saying that they are shipping from inventory now in the U. S. I'm going to try one and if it doubles well as a reference monitor for mixing, I'll check out another one. Really curious how this is going to feel compared to cranking my stack...

MLScola, PBGas , what are your first impressions of the CLRs? I got on the reserve list to try out a wedge. Even if you're not sure from a guitar amp standpoint, how are they at high levels? As clear as others have said? I am curious to hear what I am missing, so I've gotten on the reserved list. Do they sound good as studio reference monitors?

Resolved! Here's my letter back to Kemper Support.

Hi, I was able to get it working. I am not sure what changed, but it was related to my laptop ports, no doubt. For some reason, adding a new device changed my port series or something, and I also added a wireless hub recently. I tried to use my Focusrite interface last night and it wouldn't be recognized on the computer. Well, the process of switching different USB ports to find one for the interface changed something. After I switched the interface to a different USB port and got it working, I decided to try hooking up the Kemper again, and it is working too!

Thanks for your speedy replies. So glad this rig manager is working now; it's a very useful addition to your creation.
    -------------

So, you guys, thanks for helping out, and nightlight, I am going to try that when I get home to see if I can get my interface back on the port where I like it. It's great to be able to use speech recognition from across the room and say MOVE UP! MOVE DOWN! and change my rigs. It's like 'HUMIDI' or something.

Some of the rigs, when you increase the gain up above 10 or 11 o'clock start to change the color of the amp, which is a nice feature on those amps. I'm not sure which ones they were, I'm at work, but I think the Marshall JVM rigs? A Led Zeppelin-ish ZOSO rig? If I recall correctly, it seemed to drop out some mids and increase the presence simultaneously as you increased the gain.

As far as the effects, I might use a little treble boost for live lead tones, but stick mostly to the gain range of the amp.

I've been getting great results by shutting off the cab block and locking it, then just going through and selecting a new set of favorites that all use my Marshall with V30s.
    These are powered by my Mesa stereo 50/50 power amp.
    It has a switch to 15 W per channel, so I can try the presets with heavy tube coloration or with less on the 50 per channel setting.

This is excellent for tube-driven metal sounds. I just love the sound of my Marshall, as I have for years, and I can run all kinds of different amps through it now. When the time comes, I'm sure I'll get a FRFR/solid state set up to try, but the balls and the tone coming out of this setup from a lot of the profiles is awesome.

Of course, these aren't the tones intended by the authors, but who cares? The results are killer. From Mesa Boogie to ENGL to Plexi amps it's just awesome. Don't let anybody tell you it won't sound good. That's not the way this beast works. If you like the way those heads sound through whatever cabinet you've ever heard, you'll equally enjoy the results with the Kemper, the way the 50/50 pushes it with 6L6's.

Hi, theoptimizersARA, thanks for responding....

1. Yes, plugging in directly, no hub.
    2. No virtual drives.
    3. Latest versions, rebooted and connected different ways, many times.
    4. Doesn't work on my Inspiron either.

I've opened a trouble ticket. They emailed me today that they emailed me last week. I could've deleted it somehow by accident, stranger things have happened. But I've been waiting in earnest for their response, so I doubt it. I'm waiting for them to resend the instructions they said they sent me.

Yes, indeed, db9091. I just wanted to add here that I just started using the Kemper in a live situation, LOUD, and even when you use a different guitar/pickups/power amp/cabinet, that certainly doesn't mean that the sound won't be good. Just wanted to point that out, since often I read statements about the original intention of a rig as if it may not sound good except as "prescribed." Of course, as in the example given about SRV and using a Strat or single coil pickups or something similar, you definitely will be limited to what you can use with that rig.
    This weekend, I hooked up my Kemper to my Mesa-Boogie Stereo 50/50 tube power amp with the amps 12AX7s and JJ 6L6s and ran it through my Marshall 1960A JCM 900 cabinet with V 30's. I know the recommendation is to use a solid-state power amp and flat response monitor speakers in order to get as close to the intended tone as possible, but this sounds incredible too! I'm not in any hurry now to find a good power amp/monitor combination for it, because I am quite satisfied, to say the least.

Edit: By the by, I did have the Cabinets turned off in the Kemper rack. And db9091, I know you were not implying there is only one way to use a rig : ). Just a clarification, thanks.

You could get a computer-instrument interface (which is essentially an external sound card with as many inputs/outputs as you want to buy as you would with a mixer) and enter the world of DAW recording on your computer. Starting with one of the free DAW's, or a trial version of one of the higher-end ones.

It would allow you to play simultaneously whatever you want from your computer as well as whatever you run through the interface into the computer, like your Kemper, and it would all come out mixed in your monitors.

Yes, and it seems to me that they were on the money when they say in the manual that the Tube Bias and Shape in this unit are more noticeable with less-overdriven sounds. With these controls, especially turning the Bias up, a heavier attack allows you to bring in the dirt a little earlier in the overdrive level. Barely noticeable on the saturated tones though, whereas a Tube Screamer will really help to tighten up the front end of a soaking wet Dual Rectifier.

These days, I say stay close to The Head Itself! (or the miced rig-in-itself) unless I need to cut through some thick-ass acoustics with some boost from the TS greenie or some EQ. And when we want a sick grinding chunk, we're not just playin' through Mark II's anymore, so it doesn't take much beyond a stock head to get there. I can't wait to see if I can get some of these awesome tones to crank loud! Looking forward to moving into a rehearsal space this weekend. Okay, the train is derailing...

I like the Kemper's Tube Bias and Shape to play with the subtleties in cleaner overdriven tones, myself.