Posts by MisterB

Just to give an update here. After many weeks of searching, reading and experimenting I finally decided last night after rehearsal to take my old Engl Raider and massive pedalboard back home.
    Only the Kemper with the DXR 10 is used now for reheasals, recording and (hopefully) gigs (have not gigged with this band yet).

Why?

1) I love to tweak sounds and effects at home
    I just take my Kemper back home (in the wonderful green fishermans bag 8) ) and tweak sounds there. I am using a scond DXR at home...so I have an identical setup.
    For rehearsal I just plug in the Kemper and all the sounds are just there. Maybe a little (10sec) tweaking to adjust effects to full band volume.

For just effects tweaking (when I already decided for the amp sound) even tweaking at night using good headphones works well.

2) We do record all rehearsals...so everybody can listen to it at home
    Obviously this is where the Kemper shines. I run the main out into the mixer and we record all tracks separately. I even started to record the dry guitar signal using direct out. Wonderful!

3) Recordings
    We started to record our songs for CD/Website/Demos etc.
    I just take the Kemper to the studio. Minor tweaking only (mainly reducing/deleting effects that will be added during the final mix) and I have the exact same sound as always. No noise, hiss or other issues.

4) Amp in the room feeling
    No. You do not get the same feeling playing it with the band compared to my previous setup (Engl Raider 100 + 2x12 cabinet = 3x12).
    There is just less air moved. Does not feel as intense anymore.
    But...I always had to play at very high volumes to make the Engl sound good. So...in reality it just felt intense but did not sound to good.

With the DXR the sound is excellent but when the band kicks in it does not sound as good I wished. But I can clearly hear myself from any position in the room and my band mates agree on that fact and do like the sound.
    As this is just my personal monitor the main objective is that I can hear what I am playing. And this is the case!

Summary:
    When I take all use scenarios and pros/cons into account....
    ....the Kemper clearly wins. It made my live much easier and is such a pleasure to play.

Do I sell my tube amps now? Mmhhh...not now....but I will profile them and then we'll see :rolleyes:

I have tried for hours but could not find a good wah setting. This might be partially caused by the shitty wah pedal on the Behringer 1010 but is mainly a sittings issue.
    I tried pre and post distortion. All wah pedals and pre-sets....but they all sound worse than my Dunlop Wah with my tube amp.

I really would like to avoid using a real wah pedal again...my setup is so organized now...

What have you experienced? What are recommended settings? The wah should be used for crunched to distorted amps (no metal...just blues to rock sounds).

Thanks!

What guitar (acoustic vs. electric), amps (clean vs. distorted), music are you playing?
    I can't complain about having a thin sound with my DXR. Actually my band mates thought it is too thick....so I use the 100Hz filter on the DXR during rehearsal...that fixes it.

I am in the process of doing this as well. I'll keep just the ones I need for my band.
    Of course I'm trying out new ones regularly but I browse trough them with the Rig Manager....so easy to check new rigs quickly w/o copying them to the Kemper permanently.

I know this is highly dependent on personal style and type of music played but I'd like to know what worked well (or not so well) for you.
    I started to program all of my songs as Performances to be re-called/controlled via the Behringer 1010 with Uno for Kemper and wasn't sure what approach to take.

Do you:
    1) Program each song as a performance and just switch slots for various parts of the song (intro, solo, verse etc.)
    2) Just select rigs with the slots and control your sound by switching effects on and off?
    3) Something else...

What works best for you live?

Rainer

What do you mean. It's just connected like a normal monitor. Instead of a instrument cable I now use a XLR cable connected with the Neutrik Adapter.
    Input sensitivity (Clean sense...is that what you mean?) has nothing to do with it.

Update: My order arrived today.

Now I use:
    Monitor out on Kemper > Neutrik Adapter from mono jack to male XLR > 3 meter XLR cabel > Yamaha DXR 10 XLR input.

SILENCE! Absolutely no noises (except for the fan and a very silent hiss)

So...if you have to use the monitor out (or direct out) and normal signal/instrument cables create too much noise...try this! It works!