Posts by ucnick

Thanks Gianfranco. Wasn't trying to diss you, but I have been agonizing a bit over it and was worried that a long enough high current transient at 4 ohms will damage the amp, so I have chickened out, have tried a Quilter 200 running two 8 ohm cabs and it works OK, but that is why I inquired about buying one of your amps for the Kemper, less gear I have to schlep to a gig the better! Please let me know when they become available again.

Many thanks! - Nick

FWIW... I have been using pretty much exclusively Mr. Britt's profiles since I purchased packs 1 and 2 a few months ago. I run a Powerhead into one of several cab types: (1) an old 1X12 Lopoline with a Texas Heat in it; (2) an older (2004-ish and well-broken in) Carvin 2X12 open-back with the older Carvin 12" guitar speakers in it; and (3) a newer closed back(convertible) Carvin 2X12 with the newer Carvin speakers. They all sound great with the Powerhead, and I have received many accolades on my tone, both with and without augmentation through a PA, as well as quite a few puzzled looks when folks notice my head. More than once I have been asked "where are the tubes?". :)

BTW, I tried turning off the cab sims at one rehearsal, but the singer commented that the sound was kinda thin, and would I please correct it. I have not turned them off ever since.

I tend to use the Dream Weaver profiles a lot, especially the Klon and Timmy profiles for solos. Diezel is great for the heavier stuff, as well as the Bletchleys for the aggressive tones. A couple more here and there that escape me, but overall the tones are excellent. Will be doing some studio recording with the rig next week and am looking forward to that. Thanks again for some great product, Michael!

I used to use a FR5 as a backup, but found the Fender side was kinda scratchy when you would overdrive it, plus the bottom end would fart out when I would really drive it, supposedly like a real Fender (which I don't recall ever happening in my years of playing though a silverface Bassman), but after I received some negative comments on that "feature" from my band-mates at rehearsal I looked for another solution.

The Plexi section was actually pretty good (especially with the boost) and provided a pretty fair emulation of Duane's sound at Fillmore East when I tweaked it a bit Also liked the delay, although it would overload a little too quickly. All that being said - if I had a fly gig and had absolutely nothing else available it would be acceptable.

Here's what it looked like:

[Blocked Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9swo1tkhgzvz684/yimg-1116296936-1-253542568_rot.jpg?dl=0]

Anyway, I now use it as a backup for my backup, which is the same PT Jr but with some Hotone pedals on it, the same Turbo Tuner and a EB VP Jr volume pedal driving a Quilter Tone Block 200. Sounds pretty good, has a good choice of effects, and gets plenty loud. All I need is the pedalboard and a cab. But it doesn't come close to my Kemper...

Several times I have experienced my FCB1010, which is running v1.3 Uno4Kemper, performing a reset to factory default when the power cord is jiggled at the inlet connector and causes a momentary power loss. It happened last night when I moved my powered rig a bit to allow better positioning and the power cord was wiggled. A bit concerning when having an audition, Fortunately I recognized what it was and was able to quickly put everything back (I always carry the U4K manual in my case). I do not ever recall this happening with my older FCB1010 which runs v1.1. Has anyone else noticed this?.

Another "would be nice to have" feature to add to the ever-expanding list.

Depending on the stage size, in order to get a direct interaction between my Kemper and the guitar and get the feel of an amp on stage, I play my Powerhead through a 1X12 speaker cab, which has a Beyma 12GA50, or a Carvin V212 2X12 with the stock Carvin guitar speakers in it, as well as a direct connection from the Kemper to a PA if available (which is not always the case). Anyway, I find that it would be nice to be able to mix in a portion of the cab signal to my monitor output so that I could impart a bit of the modeled cab flavor to the 2X12 speaker cab (the Beyma always has the cab model on), rather than a strict on/off.

If one of the knobs were to be assigned to perform this function in one of the Output pages, the control could replace the Monitor Cab Off button by virtue of just turning it down all the way to eliminate the cab model from the monitor signal in the same fashion that the switch does, or all the way up for all cab model. It would allow me to blend in a little of the cab model. It would be a global setting, obviously.

My Mesa RA-100 2X12 combo (boat anchor), Mesa Express 5:50+, and Marshall DSL40, as well as some other smaller amps (Super Champ X2 combo, some homebuilts...) don't get much love anymore. Have the RA-100 up for sale, as a matter of fact.

FWIW, I used my Kemper at an audition where the the band all rehearses in headphones, used mostly the MBritt profiles (killer!), they were all blown away, the bass player came running over when we were done to see what the heck I was using, I guess the previous guitar guy used a Pod or something...

For gigs I use a APC UPS 750, a bit of overkill but I use a Powerhead which usually powers a speaker and do not want any of my gear damaged by any electrical issues. I have played in clubs where the owner will turn off the juice if he volume is too loud, which can cause problems. It will keep the Kemper (and a few other items, like an FCB1010 and maybe an external power amp like a Quilter Tone Block) powered for a while until either the power comes back on or I can do an orderly shutdown. Has paid for itself several times at outdoor gigs where my band-mate's amps would begin to go out due to brownouts on long power lines.

At home I use a Monster Power Pro 2000.

Opposite experience for me. I normally run my Powerhead into a speaker, using it as an amp, as my band-mates will not allow me to send my signal through the PA, they use it for vocals only, grrr... only time I can run through a PA is when we play a large venue which supplies the PA, those sound guys usually love the Kemper, although some are a bit surprised by the direct out. Must say I love it. :D Anyway, since the Powerhead has only one powered output, and lowest impedance is 8 ohms (4 ohms, as in two 8 ohm cabs in parallel, not recommended by CK) I bought a Quilter Tone Block 200 so that I can run my Kemper Powerhead direct out to the Tone Block and then to two speaker cabs in mono, One side goes to a Carvin 2X12 with GT12s, and the other to another Carvin 2X12 (or sometimes a 1X12 with a Texas Heat, depending on the venue), and it sounds nice and warm and fat and organic and has lots of headroom. IMHO the Kemper sounds marvelous through it. I had tried running a QSC K10 with the direct out to the far side, but it doesn't sound as good as a speaker cab, probably due to the bandwidth imitation of the guitar speaker. Not to mention I need to run power to it on the other side of the stage, which is an additional hassle. With the external cab driven by the PA, just have to run the speaker cable, which can be quite a bit simpler. Anyway, I read that most folks here use the powered FRFR cabs, but my ears lead me on this, and our fans agree that it works quite well... :thumbup:

Yep, have to keep playing and working with it. I recently set it up in my woodshed room and am running direct out into a little Behringer mixer with a metronome and mp3/tablet signal source so I can use it on a regular basis, as my wife would become a bit irate when Iwould set it up and start deep diving and work on it for hours. Now I can tweak to my heart's whilst I woodshed. I used to woodshed with my L6 HD300, but no more. I am beginning to get some kick-ass tones in my phones! They actually sound better than the recorded tones I did with one of my bands a few years back, which I recorded in a studio with an Egnater Renegade, and which at the time I thought sounded pretty darned good. Funny how your perceptions change.

So many tones, so little time... :)

Guitartone, search on "DSL", there is a profile in RE named Marshall DSL40 from 12/19/13, I believe that is the one.Takes a little tweaking but it does pretty fair.

Yeah, getting THE sound you want can be a little time-consuming... Usually takes me a couple days to tweak 'em throughly, play with it one day until I can't hear the differences, quit and come back next day or so, repeat as needed.

One band I play in is an ABB trib band (Idlewild West, shameless plug) and I do the Duane stuff and keep trying different profiles trying to hit the At Fillmore East tones (as I recall, Duane used a '69 or '70 Super Bass with, I think, JBL- loaded cabs, not exactly standard Marshall cabs), I've gone through through a bunch of profiles, Marshall Plexis, Super Leads (though I have yet to try r-u-serious' profiles, I will audition them tonight), also the PRS DA, but turns out the closest I found was the freebie Marshall DSL40, which I also just happen to own and was using just prior to buying my Powerhead. Maybe I'm biased, but with some tweaks it gets pretty danged close.

Another little factoid I thought I might mention, to add to the discussion: my "Dickey" partner in the ABB trib band uses a meticulously-tweaked Digitech RP-1000 into the clean channel of usually either an Egnater Tweaker 40 or a Mesa Nomad 45 and he gets great tones (sounds like crap when he goes direct from the Digitech, however). He really likes the Kemper, but he is happy with the Digitech/amp combo and doesn't want to shell out the bucks. Just goes to show more than one way to skin a cat. :)

I'm running a Powerhead I bought about a year ago (great Xmas present to myself!!) with v2.7.3 FW with a brand spanking new FCB1010 with the V1.3 Uno4Kemper EPROM. I usually run in performance mode except when auditioning profiles. I have noticed that, if I am using a rig and have the wah turned on but don't use the pedal, I will occasionally hear what seems to be the wah being actuated, even though it is not being touched, and I have made certain I do not touch the wah pedal. The wah pedal is set to turn on when I use the pedal and turn off after I stop moving the pedal, haven't tried any other modes so do not know if this occurs in other settings. I read a thread on here a while back to the effect that perhaps the 2.7.3 FW has an effect upon the MIDI operation, however I have yet to go and look at the system MIDI settings, I believe it should be set to omni mode, I will do that tonight when auditioning profiles. Anyway, has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Appreciate any info. Thanks!

I found that the only thing to do, if you have to do it, is go to one of the default performance slots in an unused slot somewhere in Performance space (you know, what was initially in the slot), copy and paste it into the slot you want to reset. Its the only way I found to do it, and it's a royal pain in the old yarblockos when have to do it multiple times to clear an entire performance. Or performances. http://www.kemper-amps.com/lib…images/smilies/crying.png

Hey Kemper guys - is there some overreaching reason that this capability doesn't exist? Perhaps you could (a) put a Performance slot (or entire performance reset) function in the UI, or (b) put something in Rig Manager to allow editing of Performance space via RM? Or both? For us fastidious types who like to perform housekeeping on the Performances? Thanks.