Posts by ucnick

I also own the Powerhead, and independent enable control of cabs for the two outputs would be useful. Don't know if they are hardwired internally (I suspect this may be the case, as the power amp could use the monitor amp out as source since it is dedicated mono), or if connection is made solely by the FW. If it is changeable via FW, I would certainly appreciate the capability.

And yes I do read the manuals. A lot. I started before I actually had the Powerhead. Both of them. But there is a lot of stuff in them, and finding what you need can sometimes be challenging. Would be useful to have a cheatsheet listing of some sort which breaks down the submenus and soft buttons under each major heading, rather than doing it all via text descriptions. It would probably need to be updated after each FW release but at least would provide a more visual map of the controls locations and how they operate.

Anyone ever see a profile for Dumble or Two Rocks Steel String Singer, free or otherwise, and knows where it is? I've got a thing going for Dumbles and their clones at present. Thank goodness I have the KPA, getting GAS for the actual amps would be ruinous for me, financially speaking! :) I have the Fuchs and Ceriatones, but am looking for the Steel String Singers, if they're out there. Nimoy could make a "In Search Of..." episode about it... :-0

Quick update - I spoke to a fellow at US Speaker and described the problem, he agreed it should not sound that way, we will do a swap, cool thing is they sent me a return shipping label (they paid shipping back!) and are shipping out a replacement 12GA50 (they are paying for that shipping as well!), will arrive in about a week, too late for gig this Sat but before next gig 2/1. These guys rock! If you are in US and need a Beyma 12GA50 (or other speaker) I recommend them! US Speaker

Anyway, I set up the Powerhead for Main mono out, did the Monitor Cab Off setting and will use it with the Weber and band PA for this gig, it sounds pretty good. Just need to be careful not to blow the Weber, it is only 100WRMS, and the band gets kinda loud sometimes. But will hopefully be even better with the Beyma in place.

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hopefully can do a swap on the Beyma. I have never had this occur with a speaker before, it is not just annoying, it is really pretty bad!

Sounds like using Master output as Hell-G has recommended is the thing to do in the short term (and in long term if I cannot resolve it). If I use Mater Mono mode, I assume that both Master outputs will then carry the mono signal - is that correct? So it doesn't matter which one I use? Distance is not very far, a 20 ft low Z XLR cable should be plenty.

I will see if I can return and swap it, if not will have to try the break-in route. But thanks for the tracks link! Unfortunately it is in French so don't get the details, but looks to be a speaker break-in CD?

Thanks again!

I have a Powerhead model. Have been running it through an old Lopoline 1X12 cab I've had for years loaded with a 16 ohm 100W Weber Vintage 12F, worked pretty good but not too hot with the cabs so usually have them off. So, I ordered a Beyma 12GA50 and it arrived yesterday, I swapped out the Weber, put in the Beyma, hooked everything up, called up the Ford Boost profile (one of my current faves) and... buzz city. I always start low on a speaker and turn it up, so I started at about 2 or so LEDs on the collar,nbot too bad, but at 3 LEDs, wow! The low notes in particular buzzed very loudly, especially on the low note decay. Hm. Tried closed back, open back (which was marginally better), removed and reinstalled it, still all abuzz. It is definitely the speaker, not the cab or mounting screws, I damped them with my fingers and it still buzzed. - if I gently touch the outer surface of the outer cone whilst it buzzes it damps the buzz. So, I suspect either a faulty unit or damaged somehow in transit. I examined it closely under a bright light and cannot see any obvious external defects. Anybody else experience this? I have notified the seller (US Speaker) and hopefully he will allow me to swap it for another one and see if it does the same thing.

In the meantime I have a gig coming up this weekend at a big party, first gig with the Kemper, and was planning to use my speaker cab with the Beyma driven by the Powerhead output with the cabs turned on in the KPA, and run the KPA Monitor output to our PA. Now need to use the Weber speaker, rather than the Beyma. There are not enough spare channels to allow me to use the main outputs, only have one spare input to the PA, so need to use the monitor output from the KPA. Is there anyway to turn off the cabs for the Powerhead speaker output and still leave them on for the monitor out? I looked through the manuals and didn't spot anything, anyone know if you can? I can live with the cabs turned on to the speaker can, just sounds a bit odd, can probably tweak them to get a good compromise out of both the cab and the PA, but not much time to do them all at a gig. But if there is no way I will have to live with it. Thanks for the input!

Mine sounds fine. Use a Powerhead via the speaker output into a small 1X12 old Lopoline cab with a Weber Vintage 12f 16 ohm 100w speaker, open backed. Sounds great and the bandmates agree. I expect my Beyma 12GA50 to arrive tomorrow will swap out the Weber and it will then be near-FRFR speaker (with closed back) and can use cab sims then. We play lotsa smallish places with tiny stages, my rig will be KPA into the cab, also monitor out to IEMs and then K10 or into main PA, depending. Enjoy your amp!

As an aside, I believe okstrat also mentioned he had tried using a Boss pedal as a buffer between the Kemper out and the TW in and it no effect. As I recall, the Boss has an emitter follower buffer and for example the OD3 has an output impedance spec of 1 kohm. I didn't see an output impedance spec for the Kemper direct send, but I would think it would be in that neighborhood. That would seem to take the buffer aspect out of the equation. Seems to me that the KPA expects to be driving a high-impedance load (most tube amps have similar values) so it is already taken into account by use of the buffer. There is more going on here than meets the eye. Perhaps the wireless is not behaving exactly as a cable (it is an active device, after all). Maybe some sort of level issue that the TW is sensitive to that the Line 6 masks and that is not present when the guitar is plugged in directly? Also, the Line 6 Relay series have a "cable tone" simulator - was that on, or does it make a difference at different settings? Just tossing out ideas.

Power amp spec is 600WRMS @ 8 ohms or 300WRMS @ 16 ohms, as I recall.

Have had the Kemper for a few weeks, it was an Xmas gift (from me to me!). Have been playing guitar for some time, I use amps, have had many tube amps and still have a few, but the Kemper, well it is amazing. Guys in my band are also amazed. My intent when I purchased it was to use it as a small footprint alternative so I am not so crowded in some of the stage we play. I've been using it as an amp with the cab off and running the Powerhead into a 1X12 cab loaded with a 16 ohm Weber Vintage 12F, which is a 100W Brit-type sound. It sounds great. I am a little paranoid of popping the speaker, so I don't crank it too much, but seems to be plenty loud. Obviously, running (for example) the Aldrich JMP Profile through a little 1X12 with the cab off will not sound the same as the same profile through a FRFR, but hey it sounds and feels like an amp and sounds good, so why not? BUT, I also ran the Powerhead output into a Yamaha BR12M monitor I have, with the cab on, and it sounds even better! I really don't want to schlep the 45 lb BR12M around, so I went for a compromise - I ordered a Beyma 12GA50 wide range speaker and will stick it in my little 1X12, hopefully will yield a near-FRFR environment. Obviously the cab is not tuned to the speaker (or vice versa) but wth. It is also 260W RMS, I believe, so it should be a little safer, power-wise. If I like it I have a Mojotone 2X12 I may put a couple Beymas into when I have more room on stage. But, we're getting back up into the 40lb area, so maybe if the little cab works I'll stick to it for the feel onstage, and run the monitor out to the PA.

Hey that reminds me - probably another thread - has anyone tried it with in-ear monitors? I did a search in the forums, didn't find anything. I have a a Shure PSM system, another possibility was to run into it and then to the PA if there isn't enough room for a cab onstage, or I felt particularly lazy that evening . Anyone have any experience with using IEMs with the KPA? Just wondering.

My mistake - I had thought it was being shipped from Germany. Yes I have used DHL in the past and have been vey satisfied with it.

In any event, it does not appear to be DHL - and unfortunately, I have no tracking information, Xavier told me the ship date (12/19) after I had queried him, but provided no further info. I would not be surprised if it were indeed due to USPS speed. It was shipped standard, if that is the same as parcel post then that would explain it, as PP can be excruciatingly slow. I will say that he did state in the FAQs sections that shipments to the US could take 1 to 3 weeks, and I am not quite at the 3 week point... yet.

If you are in the US it can apparently take some time. Mine was shipped Dec19th 2013, the day after I ordered it, and as of this AM I am still waiting. I am kicking myself for not asking for expedited shipping. I don't know who is so slow, Deutsche Post or USPS. My son ordered some parts for from his RC car from somewhere I never heard of in China on 12/26 and they arrived yesterday, he said it was standard shipping. My FCB1010 is due to arrive this coming weekend and I may need to program it manually. Grrrr...

Hi, new guy here, just got a Powerhead for Xmas. Spent some time with it and am becoming familiar with it. It definitely absolutely feels like a tube amp, favorite so far is a slightly tweaked version of the "Ford Boost" rig I pump through a small 1X12 Lopo cab with a Weber Legacy 12F 100W speaker in it. Robben Ford is one of my favorites and I can get a pretty danged close tone using the rig. The amp is totally amazing. It just freaks me out how good it sounds! This thing has just obsoleted my G3X and PodHD300, and made it unnecessary to schlep a heavy amp and pedalboard to a gig. Unbelievable! And did I say how good it sounds? I am definitely going to blow some minds at a big jam this coming Saturday night! Can't wait to get the FCB1010 (on backorder from AMS) and the Uno4Kemper chip, ordered both last week. In the meantime, am using a Boss FV500H as a volume pedal and am going to see if I can use a Boss momentary switch to toggle one of the stomps on and off as needed. BTW I bought a Gator GR66 bag from AMS, the KPA fits great, enough room to fit the volume pedal below the KPA, once I get the FCB1010 won't need it, will have to out in a little padding.

Anyway, I was playing around and in Performance mode assigned some rigs that I liked to the first three slots of the first Performance location. I then wanted to put a different rig in the first location, which I did by browsing and loading (I replaced "Gundy's Robben Stumble OD" with "Ford Boost") but the original name ("Gundy's Robben Stumble OD") stays in the little black slot indicator on top, although the new name ("Ford Boost" appears in the main window below. Going in and out of Performance mode doesn't help, and neither does cycling the power. If I move the location the old name still follows it. Is there some way to remove or purge the slot assignment so when I load in the new one the name in the small black window and the main window agree, or is this a firmware thing (I am running ver 2.1.1, I think), or what? I wish I could take a screenshot but don't know how to do that. Maybe I can take a photo if it would help. But it seems straightforward to me, just want to replace what is in the slot with the new rig. I know I can load the new rig into another slot and swap them around, but it still doesn't answer how to unassign a rig from a slot and return it (I assume) to default rig? Any ideas? Sorry for being so wordy. Thanks for the help! - ucnick

PS also downloaded some of the freebie rigs from the Kemper support, and am eying some from the Amp Factory as well. I have a Mesa Royal Atlantic RA-100 2X 12 combo boat anchor, and a Marshall DSL40C 1X12 combo, and also a Mesa Express 5:50+, all of which I will be profiling and uploading, once I get a chance... 8o