Posts by Sledge139

<p>I say this with peace and love</p>

<p>Most of my posts have been about this very issue.</p>

<p>I'd say there is a lot of room for improvement. I've never been able to capture the magic of any of my Mesa preamps. &nbsp;</p>

<p>It does a good job profiling the whole rack minus effects, miked through a cab. That is not what I bought it for.</p>

<p>I mainly do preamp profiles hoping that one day I can replace my Mesa quad and Triaxis and have my favorite settings in my Kemper. But running profiles through the rest of the rack sounds mediocre at best, compared to the real thing.</p>

<p>It is very easy for me to tell if it's a preamp profile vs a real preamp.</p>

<p>I've given up on trying since the update that supposedly made it perfect for direct amp and preamp profiles didn't solve the issue. I've made hundreds of preamp profiles since that update and not once felt it captured the mojo.<span style="line-height:1.28">It sounds similar but is always missing something, and feels very different to me when playing.</span></p>

<p>If you've had better luck than good for you. It's just not quite there for me.</p>

<p>Maybe I just have hard to profile amps? If that's the case, then there is a prime opportunity for them to step up and improve the profiling algorithm.</p>

<p>I think the real problem is the fanboys who run around flaming anyone with a opinion that their precious isn't perfect. I for one rarely participate in this forum because of this.</p>

<p>Mr Kemper probably thinks it's already perfect, due to them.</p>

<p>Once again, I feel like I'm pissing in the wind. If/when they ever fix this I'll be the first to sing their praises, until then it is what it is.</p>

I agree with DanielRigler He's not taking about uploading a commercial ir he is profiling it. No different than a real cab IMO.

Where does this stop? You can't profile an AxeFX because they own the software? An amp sim?

Why not experiment and make a bunch of profiles? See what works best with what you've got.
    If I was selling off a preamp I would profile the crap out of it first.

I assume you don't have a poweramp and cab, because that would be far better for creating merged profiles.
    I would imagine the built in cab sim on the preamp would be the second choice for me but it's a guess.

You're going to be missing the amp section and it might not sound right swapping cabs, when you do the direct part without an amp in the chain.

Rispsira,
    It seemed to me that his whole point was the ability to create profiles from old sessions from before he had his kemper. To make it happen he figured out a way during refining.
    He was vague so it's only my best guess from what he said, but from my tests I believe I'm on to something.

I sure wish Andy Sneap would chime in and explain his technique.

I was just as confused when watching the interview.
    But you said it right. You in the input (guitar only like normal) and Petrucci in the return.
    Think of how someone like Andy Sneap would use this.
    He has the straight guitar Di tracks and the final tone tracks.
    He would send the DI to the input and the final tone to the return. Hit refine. Done.
    We unfortunately don't have the straight guitar DI tracks so you either need to recreate them or play live.I would think DI tracks is the way to go as any timing errors seemed to mess things up.

Djemass
    I think I'm confusing you. no think of it as regular refining.
    While refining:
    You send 100% only the isolated petrucci track to your return. Instead of your amp!
    The kemper input needs to be 100% from a guitar or a guitar di of you playing along perfectly. In my case used SPDIF in with a DI of me playing.

The kemper is tricked because it's getting what it expects.
    your amp is not used after the initial profile is taken.
    And nothing is mixed.

hope that clears things up.

Nightlight
    What I got from the interview was.
    1. he used something like positive grid or ozone to create the base profile close to the tone
    2. the tricking it into thinking it was a real amp during refining was by sending the di and recorded track at the same time.

I skipped step 1 to see if step 2 worked.
    Even if I was wrong with my assumption, step 2 works for me.

Djemass
    I'll be a little more specific of what I did and what I tested.

I took a full profile of my ampeg vl1002 and cab. Just tried to get a good sound wasn't trying to sound like Killswitch Engage at this point. I created a guitar only di that I played along with a KSE guitar track I grabbed from a multitrack mogg file.
    During refining I fed my guitar only di back to the Kemper to trick it into thinking I'm playing and the KSE guitar track into the return.at the same time. I found if it's not tight there is some weird artifacts. So I tried again on a tighter.and it worked.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S1GvxldhZDQ

At about 5 or 6 minutes in he talks about a trick he uses during refining to tonematch his old recorded guitar tracks.

Not sure if I missed any steps but:
    I tested this by creating a profile, then during refining I sent a recorded track to my return and a DI to the input. It actually came out very close to the recorded track's overall sound, even though when I started it wasn't even in the ballpark. :thumbup: