Posts by Der_JD

I know it's a longshot, but has anyone tried one of these with the Kemper? I've generally had great success with pedals in front of the Kemper but looking to see if anyone has had 1st-hand experience with this one. I've been watching some Youtube clips of this OD and it sounds great.

A lot of the commercial sellers' profiles are what I would call "mix ready" profiles. Out of the box, they work really well in a recorded mix with at least 2 tracks of guitar, bass, drums, etc. with little to no tweaking necessary. Sometimes they don't sound so great when played "solo". That's just how things are. Usually, great tones that work well in a mix don't sound as good solo. In my experience, a good recorded tone needs less bass and more treble than what I'd use for just practicing. That fizz and cocked wah sound you hear would probably help the tone cut in a mix and wouldn't be nearly as apparent as when played solo. That's likely why the seller's demos sounded so good...you heard it in a mix with the guitars multitracked.

In my opinion, Amp Factory profiles sound great on their own and seem to have more of an "in the room" type of sound. I love them for practicing but when I want to record I usually turn to something else that requires less tweaking. Generally speaking, most Amp Factory profiles have an excessive amount of low mids and not enough highs to sit well in a mix without tweaking (for me, anyway). I generally try to avoid tweaking if possible. I don't enjoy tweaking and I find that if you tweak something excessively it starts to sound unnatural. So, I'll just move on to a different profile that fits my needs better.

Even with that said, you can definitely tweak profiles to suit your needs. When I take one of the "mix ready" profiles and want to use it for solo practicing usually all I need to do is boost a little bass and mids and decrease the treble (using the main knobs on the front panel. If that doesn't quite get me there, I might use a studio EQ or graphic EQ. For me, I often have to increase mids around 500-750 hz. Target areas for excessive brightness are 2- 3.5khz (harshness) and 5- 6 kHz (fizz).

I'm mainly a metal player too and I always use just a little of the "space" parameter when I record (around 1.5). Sounds too dry without it to my ears. Give it a shot.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. A good profile sounds 99% like the original miced amp/cab. That's all you can ask for. The rest of it comes down to mixing techniques.

Welcome!

I came from the Axe II as well. Had it for about a year and a half. I'm loving the Kemper. With the Axe, it was just a never-ending tweakfest trying to get tones I liked. Now I have so many profiles I like that it's hard to choose what to use since I like them all so much.

Plenty of great rigs on the free exchange...just takes a little more effort to sort through them to find the ones you like. Luckily, Rig Manager has made this a piece of cake. I've bought a lot of commercial profiles as well and generally (for me) they're a little bit more of a "sure thing" in terms of whether I'll like them or not. I'd say I've been happy with about 80% of all the commercial profiles I've bought vs. maybe 10% on the free exchange.

I've tried the "RunAsDate" workaround. Didn't work for me.

This really sucks. I wish Kemper would get it sorted out. Reminds me of my days with the Axe Fx II where your sound would change after every FW upgrade, yet you wanted to be able to use the new features of the new version (in this case Rig Manager).

I'll be trying 2.4.1 for the first time tonight. Hope I don't notice any changes from 2.3.3. Really hope I didn't buy any commercial profiles made with 2.4.0!

Which model are you thinking of buying? There are several different SE models and many will sound different due to different specs.

I have a couple of SEs, an Akesson and a SE245. I replaced the pickups in both, although the stock pickups were actually quite nice. They're great guitars, especially for the money. Actually, in my opinion, you can't find a better quality guitar at that price point. They sound really nice, are built well, and usually come set up from the factory really nice. The only thing about them I find inferior is the tuners, but they're easily replaced.

There are a few things I don't like about mine, but these are mostly just personal preferences. First, mine have TOM bridges that don't offer individual saddle height adjustment. This in combination with the small radius fretboard (curvy) makes it tough to get the guitar set up perfectly so that you have low action without buzz and so that notes don't fret out on big bends. You can only adjust action by raising/lowering each side of the bridge and to do this you need to slack the strings. Don't get me wrong, I've been able to set mine up really nicely but it takes more effort than some of my other guitars. I'm just really picky about having a perfect setup.

Also, I find the singlecut style more difficult to play while sitting (which is how I play most of the time) compared to guitars with more of a strat-style body. Seems more difficult to keep it from slipping on my leg. I've come to realize that singlecuts might just not be my preference in terms of body type.

Finally, my SEs both have 24.5" scales. This is nice for playing up closer to the nut. Makes wide stretches and complex chords seem really easy there but for leads past the 12th fret the spacing gets a little tight and my fingers get cramped.

I don't have any soundclips at the moment but I don't think they'd be that helpful anyway since I've changed out the pickups.

Bought the Savage pack and tried it out last night. Very nice!

At first I wasn't so sure but then I tried some of them out in a recorded mix and that's how they really work well. I don't know about you guys, but for me it seems there's profiles I like right off the bat for practicing/jamming and others I like better for recording. These seem best for recording straight out of the box. Of course, the right tweaks could make them useful in any situation.

Really like the "Exodus" and the "Fredman miced" profiles. Upon 1st listen, I thought the Fredman profiles would be too dark in a mix but turns out they're just brutal and sound killer!

I picked up this profile pack over the weekend and I strongly recommend it! These just might be my favorite Marshall profiles I've found yet!

Ray was one of the few commercial sellers I hadn't tried yet (not sure why) and I figured I'd give his profiles a shot. Glad I did. I'll be buying more packs in the future. Ray's profiles need more attention around here! :)

Are you having this issue often, as in the majority of your profiles? Or, is it just occasionally with a select few profiles?

The reason I ask is that IMO you shouldn't really need to be doing a ton of cab-swapping and/or lots of EQing to get decent tones with most profiles. Wondering if your issue is with the equipment you're running the KPA into.

Every once in a while I'll come across a profile that I can tell has potential but there's an issue with the cab. First, I'll try minor tweaks to the cab parameters and definition. I'll also try a studio or graphic EQ. For boominess and muddiness try experimenting with cuts below 400 hz. If you need a little more sizzle on top, experiment by adding a little in the 5-6k region. If that doesn't work, I might try a different cab. I generally find that swapping to a cab that came from a profile of a similar amp works best. For example, Marshall to Marshall.

Doing these things is rare for me. I often do a couple of very minor EQ tweaks to profiles but I find that doing massive amounts of tweaking leads to unnatural sounding results. I move on and pick a different profile.

That's funny...you're actually looking for something to GAS about. Usually, those things just seem to find us and then there's no cure.

I don't have any ideas. The Kemper has cured me of amp, cab, and effects GAS. These days it's mainly guitars and pickups for me.

Sure, a computer could handle it but what about when you're running it with 20 other plugins? No thanks. I prefer hardware for my guitar tones.

Strange. I'm out of advice now (Is this sentence correct in english? I'm no native speaker). Sure your info entered in the preferences of RM is ok? No typos?

Yes, no typos.

Strange, I'm having more problems with this official release than I did with the betas. Can't connect to Rig Exchange and I noticed last night that it frequently gets hung up when adding rigs to the local library. Had to close it out and restart a few times. Hopefully I won't have issues with the next release.

I don't have the Marshall Toolkit but I do think that a lot of TAF's high gain profiles have a bit of this problem- at least, for my purposes which is recording. Most sound fine on their own- kind of more like an "in the room" type sound but in the mix I often have to EQ out some lows/low mids and add some highs.

No big deal. TAF makes some great profiles. Sometimes just a little EQ tweaking is necessary for certain equipment or certain purposes.

Last night I installed 2.4 Beta on my KPA as well as Rig Manager 1.0 (Build 52). I couldn't get Rig Manager to sync to the Rig Exchange. In preferences, I had the box checked to sync to RE, entered all my info, etc., and the connection tested "ok". I never once had this issue with any of the beta versions. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, repairing, re-downloading, restarting my computer...everything I could think of. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Very dissapointing...looks like it's back to loading up a USB stick if I want to try out RE profiles.

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas?