Posts by Der_JD

I really like playing with Ruppert's "Holdsworthy" profile when I'm just practicing and improvising by myself. Always loved that smooth, warm lead tone. I think it would be too dark in the mix to work in my recordings, though.

Also like the "6505 Solo" (or something similar) in TAF's 6505 pack.

I'd choose it over the Axe too, regardless of close pricing. In fact, I did! I had an Axe IIi for 18 months and just sold it. Just couldn't justify keeping it when it got no play time after getting my Kemper!

For some others, though, I'm not so sure. I've seen many times on various forums in the past where someone was debating which unit to purchase. Ultimately, the savings helped influence their choice.

I've noticed that a lot of US dealers (Sweetwater, AMS, Zzounds, SamAsh) have raised the price on the Kemper to $2133. I would imagine that's going to be the standard price everywhere in the US soon. Glad I purchased mine when I did. Anybody about to buy better act quick. There's still a few places that have them cheaper.

Not a good move IMO. Too close to the price of the Axe Fx. I think being slightly cheaper has helped to sell units in the past.

I'll be surprised if the XL really takes off that well.

Sure, the fanboys will bite. So will the guys who just can't seem to live without the latest and greatest and seem to have a never-ending supply of $ for gear.

But, for the average Joe, it just doesn't offer enough to shell out a few hundred more bucks. This is NOT an Axe III. It's just a II with a few added features...features that the average user wouldn't get a ton of use from. I'm betting most will stick with their IIs until the next generation comes along.

Tried 'em. Loved 'em. Sound like a great Engl Fireball to me! Brutal! Especially love FBall Distortion and FBall Super Dist.

Gave you 5 stars for the high gain profiles I downloaded. Didn't rate the lower gain ones as I'm pretty much high gain 90% of the time.

If you're using profiles that have the power amp "baked in" (most do- exceptions are "DI" or "preamp" profiles) I'd actually recommend NOT using a tube power amp. Almost all tube power amps will color the tone somewhat. What is generally recommended is a "flat" sounding SS power amp and class AB seems to get the most love.

"What is the XFX-II looper missing?"

I'm not a big looper user either but the most common complaint with the Axe Fx II looper is the time. It ranges from 15 to 60 seconds depending on whether you choose mono or stereo and whether you want to use the "undo" function, which removes the most recently recorded stack layer. Personally, that's enough time for me but my issues (and many others had this problem as well) were getting the looper to start/stop recording precisely and getting it to start playing back precisely when you want it to.

I used to have a Boss (can't remember the model number) looper pedal and I found it much more useful and easier to use than the Axe's looper. Boomerang seems to be a very popular choice these days.

I have no need for a looper live and at home if I want to loop something I just use my DAW.

Personally, I think that expecting a looper in the Kemper that would have enough functionality to be on par with popular standalone units currently on the market is not reasonable. Even the looper in the Axe FX II is pretty limited. I found it generally useless. The only thing I found it useful for was recording a riff and letting it repeat while I tweaked the preset.

Bottom line is that if you really want a good looper you're probably going to have to buy one.

Maybe this has been discussed before (I'm fairly new) but I think it would be great if something were added to the forum where users could rate and/or review commercial profiles all in one place.

I've purchased quite a few commercial profiles and have been generally pleased. However, there's been a couple of times where I was really dissapointed. It wasn't just that the profiles didn't suit my taste. I felt the profiles just didn't have a "professional's touch".

My concern is that just about anyone can hook up a KPA to an amp, profile it, and then sell it. With clever marketing they're sure to sell. I've noticed that some people selling profiles don't offer very many sample clips and the ones they do offer are in a mix type situation. With these types of clips it would be easy to apply post-processing and the potential buyer wouldn't get an accurate representation of what they're truly about to buy.

A place to review/rate could help. Granted, it would be entirely subjective, but it would still give potential buyers more information on what they're about to get into.

Definitely worth more than 1 star but I will admit that I find these profiles (the higher gain ones) overly dark, round, smooth...whatever the choice adjective may be. So much so that I wouldn't have much use for them, especially in a recorded mix.

Just not my cup of tea, though. Everybody's got their own opinion. Thanks for uploading them. Maybe I'll have to try them again with a different cab.

I used to feel the same way (back in my Axe Fx days). Didn't care for the high end/high mids with the SM57 when I was playing solo (practicing, etc.). But, I realized that IRs/profiles done with a SM57 just fit in the mix perfectly when recording. Eventually, my ears adjusted and I accepted it. Now, most of the profiles I use have a SM57 involved though I do sometimes back off the treble and/or presence when playing solo.

Just curious, are these tone matched profiles done by ear or by using software like Ozone? I've thought about buying some of these but haven't really like most "tone match" profiles in the past. A lot of times they sound really accurate but just don't feel as "real" when software like Ozone is used IMO.

Your perception of the tone could also be influenced by what equipment you're monitoring through. What are you using? Studio monitors? What kind?

Another thing to consider is that the Kemper reproduces a miced guitar cab sound which may be different if you're used to hearing guitar "in the room" with a traditional amp + cab.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you should be able to find plenty of profiles that offer a smooth type of distortion. If not, something's off with your equipment or your ears. Not meant to be harsh, but it's the truth.

In addition to what HELL-G mentioned above, sometimes lowering the high shift a bit in the cab section helps to tame the highs with some profiles.