Posts by Tonerider

Appreciate the interest - but, been reviewing approximate costs of shipping to either US or EU - and the Toaster is only availble for collection in UK - or UK shipping if buyer arranges courier, and assumes all responsibility. Obviously, I couldn't sell a broken toaster if something went wrong in transit - so no returns would be accepted.

Hope that makes sense,

-Tonerider.

I'm putting my Kemper Profiler 'Toaster' up for sale due to a big shift in musical direction.

Bought from Anderton's Music Company, Guildford in January 2014 - my Profiler has only been for home use and recording in a smoke-free environment. I have not encountered any issues with the unit, no led failures or problems. It's been run through a surge-protector at all times, and still has plenty of warranty left if needed to be returned to the Kemper Mothership.

It also comes with 19 commercial profile packs, including MBritt, Stymphalian Productions, Pete's Profiles, TAF, Soundside and Top Jimi - original packaging and manual/s included. All loaded onto USB stick.

I'm based in the South East of England, UK - Close to Brighton.

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46395535/Kemper%20front%2001.JPG]
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46395535/Kemper%20front%2002.JPG]
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46395535/Panel%20Close%20Up.JPG]
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46395535/Kemper%20Rear%20Panel.JPG]

Price is £900 - ovno. Serious offers only please -

Due to delicate nature of item, would ask that lucky new owner be willing to demo/collect.

If you have any further questions / picture requests - just ask or send me a PM.

Cheers,

-Tonerider

Evening All,

Well, the start of a new pickup era is en-route for my LTD EC1000..

The guitar came with EMG's - great for high gain, but just ugh.
    Then I had some Tonerider Alnico II's - good, but gave a half cocked wah for heavy tones.
    Seymour Black Winters were next, and aggravated my tinnitus with their harsh and cold top end. ugh x 2
    Bulldog PAF's have been ace - but been needing something more 'thrashy' in the bridge.

So, I've been doing a lot of pickup searching. And come back to Dimarzio, the only brand I have used in the past and never been disappointed by - your mileage may vary. I've had blaze's in my old 7 strings, and D-activators back in 2007 in a les paul studio - and they ripped.

So, I've ordered one of the original D-activators for my EC1000 bridge, and really looking forward to it. Interested to see how the 7k + paf in the neck holds up against it, but I can always raise the height to compensate. Really looking forward to the tight low end, jump off the frets harmonics and see how it likes lower tunings. Plus, they are a good price these days.

Anyone have any advice for setting up a higher output pu with the Kemper? Just look at input led and set the clean levels I guess.

Will post back with a mini-review and clips - then sell my Bulldog PAF, and see how the neck works out - and see if that needs doing further down the line...

Anyone played one through the Kemper?

Cheers,

Tonerider

What a great day - I just upgrade my audio interface - my Kemper sounds a hell of a lot quieter and cleaner with the upgraded preamps in my focusrite over ancient roland ua-25. Then, the new firmware drops - for someone who is very attuned to fizz and unwanted high end - Pure Cab is PURE AWESOME. Genius, makes previously horrid profiles usable, and great profiles just amazing.

And, a little goes a long way.

*hats off to CK and the Team*

Well, better late to the party then never arriving at all...

I've had my Kemper since January 2014 - no amps to profile - so always been searching for something that works well with my workhorse guitar - LTD EC1000 - essentially a thinner Lester...
    I tried some Alnico II pu's with LOTS of profiles....nothing made me want to play - I spent too much time searching...
    I went back to my \m/ roots and snuck some Seymour Black Winters in her - the icepick highs made my tinnitus worse...
    I did a lot of tone searching...
    And got some Bulldog PAF's installed - love 'em! So responsive to tone and volume changes. Lots of mojo - IF I could find the right profiles.

Somehow, when FW3.0 dropped - I never got round to testing the MB profiles. I've always tried to keep my profiler content lean and mean. I've been working with external pedals to try and get more of 'my' pedals tone across.

Today, I remember the MB profiles - so I hit the site up and listened to a whole bunch. Very impressed - so I tried the free profiles.
    I.Just.Spent.3.Hours.Playing.The.EVH5153.Profile.

The tonal and volume changes.......the way the volume stays the SAME across the pot taper....the DYNAMICS.....the 'in the room with you' mic/cab capture. I'm blown away, seriously. I just ummed-and-ahhhed and went for Pack 02. I've removed all my previous rigs and just stocked my Kemper up with the content, going to re-string my LTD tomorrow, get a big pot of coffee brewing and go to town.

Can't wait! A huge thanks to the sheer magic in these profiles - there is something, an 'X' ingredient that just makes you want to play. Very little eq tweaking, and refreshing to find rigs without the definition stuck on 10!!

Genius, I will be digesting, enjoying, rocking out - and buying some more.

Not all profiles are created equal.

-Tonerider

Today, I updated to the RM 1.3.5 on the Kemper site - but now I cannot see the Rig Exchange? In preferences, my username and password are present and when I test the connection it says 'ok'.

I also noticed there are no other versions of the RM on the Kemper site? I'd like to roll back to 1.3.1 which I was using (and worked) how is this possible?

Thanks,

-Tonerider

I too struggled with the CS and DS settings.

I'm currently using a PAF set of Bulldog pickups in my LTD EC1000 (essentially a slightly thinner LP) and running both on '0'. These are 8.3k and 7.3k approx respectively - and that seems to work just fine. When using previous hotter pu's - I just had it set so when I 'dug in' on single strings or strummed hard it would go yellow/orange - and occasionally, just go red - but I did not notice any unwanted distortion through my monitors.

The trick is to use your ears, then check the input light and maybe even record a few clips of different settings to a/b - then store them and forget about it - get back to playing guitar. AFAIK on a distorted profile, the CS only works on the 0-3.0 (or is ist 4.0?) portion of the profile. So check this by lowering the gain to ensure the profile volume remains uniform.

Hope some of that babble helps!

-Tonerider

I think sometimes that people wish that profile X or gear Y = tone Z.

On paper, the way gear is described, from videos how it sounds and recordings, I've often bought something thinking 'this will end my tonal nirvana search - this is IT!'. Then you try it with your gear, in your room/space and YOUR ears - and it's not quite right.

Bottom line is often trust your ears, and don't forget the hands, they are the 'mojo'. There are a few stories about guitarists rigs such as Eric Peterson from Testament, Dimebag and others who's rigs were setup in such a way that every guitarist apart from them who tried them simply did not sound like them.

Try and not get caught up in the endless tone search, sit back use your ears to find a few great sounding profiles with your gear, and enjoy.

-Tonerider

I'm in the same boat, and found that either browsing other cabs made with Kemper profiles has given some great results, or using the Ownhammer IR's to work very well. When converting the Redwirez, something was clearly missing - I don't know if cabmaker 2.0 has made a difference, as not needed to try. I did lookup some of my favourite mics/cabs and save the cab portions of these profiles and then demo them.

The high filter and character in the cabinet section go a long way to help also.

Hmm, my Toaster has 13 profiles, running latest f/w and takes around 30-40 seconds to boot. I do have over 140 user cabs loaded, along with a fair amount of effects presets - maybe these are taken into account?

Could try just stripping the Kemper back to the 'core' profiles you use, load fx presets/cabs/stomp presets separately and see if that increases the boot time?

It's no bother for me tbh. The boot give me enough time to get my pedal board plugged in and cables ready.

Afternoon All,

So today has been spent routing down to my favourite 10-12 profiles that work really well with my guitar and new pickups...

What I have found for each od/distorted one is the following (all volume settings were initially on 0db.)

reduce volume to -4.6db on profile,

In CAB section, pump volume of Cab to 4.2db

I have found that reducing high shift by -0.3 and character to +2.2 works for me also...

But, to my ears this seems to give a more 'juicy' 'organic' profile to have both the cab and volume levels on 0db as seems to be the 'standard' with profiles.

Anyone else tried this and found it brings out some mojo????

-Tonerider

Morning All,

Just getting to grips with my new Bulldog Pickup Vintage PAF set, and digging the tones so far - just wondering, those of you that use vintage style PAF's (bridge approx 8.5k) what are some gems on the Rig Exchange?

I'm auditioning all my old favourites, and noticing where rigs where profiled with higher output pickups and have a Green Scream in use, I'm often turning the GS output to a negative value to get a nice tone that hasn't gone to mush, and reducing the gain to keep it clear. Very interested to hear some profiles that users like with their PAF's!

-Cheers,

-Tonerider

Gary,

Just got them installed on Sunday - and my initial response is 'wow' - very clear, articulate and with no horrid eq issues stemming from the pu as I found with the Tonerider and Seymour pu's.

Middle position is the first time I've really like the combo and slight 'vowel' quality it can bring - dynamics are great. Just re-evaluating my favourite profiles and going to do some clips/demos.