Posts by PhilUK84

I appreciate the information, but I don't even know what it refers to. Is it what I explained in my last post? I'm sorry for my ignorance.

- Just so that I know if I'm in the right ballpark: Do you mean that I should try and record so that none of the tracks peak above 0Db on the mixing console? And by doing that I should set the volume in the Kemper so that it does that?

- If so, on that last track I was a fair way over that! They were all in yellow territory. That's one thing I have a problem with, I can't get my recording to sound loud enough sometimes and if it's too low it's like it's not loud enough when recording to monitor it efficiently.

- Does LEV = Level?

That recording was done with the previous connection, but I will be doing it your way.

Can you just confirm something for me please.

I know that I can't adjust the gain with the Line inputs like I can with the XLR ones, so the -10 & +4 LEV setting, does it basically pre-set the gain to a set level be it -10DbV or +4DbV?

Or am I way off? :)

I think I read someone refer to their recording as high def. :P

So, would you say it sounds more Hi-Fi/ High Def as opposed to Lo-Fi? Is the mix okayish? I think the solo is a bit out of the mix though.

I'm in the process of it. My girlfriend is making dinner and the FA Cup final is on and my brother and some friends are here to watch it is so I'm going to wait until they're gone. I'm already being really antisocial by being on here!

Give me a couple of hours, there's too many people here! Eagerly waiting for them to go! Haha. :)

I listened out on my Rockerverb and could hear stuff similar to what I'm hearing on the Kemper, but it's maybe so pronounced due to the low volume.

I also play single coils, I have 3 Teles!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, perhaps I should preserver for a while longer. A Bassman isn't going to do me any good because they need to be fucking cranked to get them sounding good and I live in a small apartment!

I might need to just get used to it more.

/sigh

I've been trying all day again and as much as I want it to work I can't get something that I love out of it. I think it's just not for me.

Thanks for your help.

I didn't try that as I spent the day tone tweaking. It's not just a recording problem, it's mainly the overall tone.

I'm open to also not having the skills required to use a unit that's this advanced. It's not just plug and play for me.

I think I am sensitive to certain frequencies. I am thinking about a Bassman Reissue and when looking at videos I can hear that uncompressed, fizzy overtone which might be the micced sound or it might be the amp, which would make me an idiot.

So tomorrow I'm going to my local shop to try out a bassman and then make a more informed decision about it, and then go from there.

Yea that's how I listen to it. I only listen to the Kemper through the Tascam when recording. I do all my pre setup stuff with headphones and KRK monitors.

Thanks. I've tried the settings mentioned. I don't think it's working for me, adding negative low high shift made it sound more Lo Fi and so did adding character. I've had it six months now and I just don't get something that I find usable.

I think I'm going to put it up for sale, I'm spending too much time messing around and not playing, and listening for those inconsistencies that I hear. I want to love it but I don't. Thanks for all your help.

Okay. So, I had a read.

Does it control how hot the input will be? If I use the -10 it's more appropriate than +4 because otherwise it'll be too hot?

I did have a quick look at spdif but I was only getting a dry signal and couldn't for the life of me work it out, but I did get a guide to doing it so I'll have another look at the weekend.

Okay that makes sense. Thanks.

I'm working nights this week, and It's been tiring so I won't be able to check it all out until Friday/Saturday. But any extra information is appreciated.

:)

That's interesting. I'll definitely have a look when I get home. So I still go XLR but it's different inputs for different things?

It still sounds the same when I listen through the Tascam when recording or when just playing through headphones or monitors.

I'm hearing preamp clipping.. how are your gains set going into the board and the input in the kemper? sounds like you're getting red lights somewhere.. (of course... there lots of ways to get distortion! :)

I'm going main outs via XLR to inputs 1 & 2 on my Tascam US1800, the gain on the Tascam is set to 0. If I touch it at all I get clipping.
    I set the master volume to a decent level and then adjust the levels in the DAW. No red lights.

Well, you mentioned you like the sound of your Rockerverb and this is exactly why and what the Kemper was built for, so ... you might want to dial your best overdrive, drop a dynamic mic in front of it and give the profiling function a go . It's really easy. With any luck, you just might love your results.

Duke asks a good question. Any red lights anywhere in your recording chain?

Okay I'll try that within the week, I can't do it at home, but I was more interested in the ease of picking up a model of any amp and them sounding pretty much like those amps as opposed to profiling.

Hey Phil, I saw this on wiKPA. When you get a chance try this on a profile that "fizzes". Tell me if it improve the sound for you:

Don’t you like what you hear in the high region ?
    On nearly any profile, if you don't like what's going on in the highs, press and hold the Cabinet button and you will see a parameter called Character. Turn it up to about 3 o'clock. Have fun!

Thank you. I'll have a go when I get home, I'm at work right now. :)

Yea. I would say that it does sound a little harsh. I was using the neck pickup on that too.

I'll have a read tonight. I still hear that fizzy element though, do you?

Hey!

I used the LP Bassman Cranked profile from the Bassman Head TAF profile pack. It's in bundle 1.

What do you think? Still a bit LoFi isn't it?