Posts by fjk1138

Yes - create the profile using the Line Out of the Torpedo Live, instead of a microphone.

This is exactly what I do - In the Torpedo Live, I create a setting where the cab is turned off and then save it as "Kemper No Cab". Then create the profile running from the Line out of the Torpedo back to the Kemper. Once you profile is done, you can instantly flip the Torpedo prest knob and start testing cabs).

I run my Kemper thru the Torpedo Live full time for amp simulation as I feel it gives me far greater flexibility for changing amp sounds than what the Kemper does on its own.

I have the Kemper non-powered rack unit. For some reason, there are certain profiles where a number will appear in the lower right corner of the profile name in a little box. It usually seems to be a 3, a 4, or on today's start up it was 43. Changing to another profile and then going back usually makes them go away, but there is one profile where it has been stuck for a few weeks now. I've updated the OS to the latest version and the profiler otherwise works fine without any issues. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I just wondered if there was a known cause for this and/or how to get rid of it. Thanks to all who respond.

I don't want to change settings if it affects my other profiles for my other guitars. Other that changing the pickup, what can I do?

Ok, my suggestions here may seem really obvious, but since I see no mention of it I am going to suggest it anyway.

1. What gain level are you using on the Kemper? Perhaps that SD pickup just needs less gain.

2. Before you go changing the pickup and/or chasing more profiles (an endless quest if there ever was one), I would say make a copy of a profile for the ESP that you can tweak to your heart's content and see if you can't get it to sound good/useable/tolerable. For example...let's say it's a Marshall JCM 800. Call it something like "Marshall - ESP". Now take that profile and tweak the living crap out of it until you get it to sound useable. That way, you don't ruin the "default" profile. And if it goes nowhere? Just delete it, go back to the original profile, save it again with the "ESP" name and start over.

I have a Fender Twin sound that I have different profiles saved for each of these guitars: A Gretsch Duo Jet, a Schecter XXX, and a Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid.
    Sure it's still a Fender Twin for each, and they all sort of sound similar, but since he pickups/woods/body thicknesses are different on each one, I like having a profile for each that I can literally press a button and change to that setting at will.

Give it a shot :)

I use my Kemper solely for recording, so my sounds are pretty much limited to Fender Cleans and Marshalls/Mesas for the heavy stuff. I keep it really simple so that when I am in the heat of battle (aka recording) I can easily find stuff.

So basically....I have about 20 ish main ones, and then a few variants on those for quick tweaking/recording purposes.

Personally, I can't stand clutter on any level (Kemper or otherwise) so having 1000 profiles to sift thru (even with Rig Manager) would drive me up a wall. :):P;)

Considering upgrading my monitors to Adam A5x, they'll probably help also.

+1 to the Monitor change

I saw your other thread on the "fizzy" issue you were having with distortion sounds. I was having a similar issue on certain profiles and I figured it either had to be how I was EQing the profiles, some other setting(s) in the Kemper that I was missing, or just my ears failing on me (or...all of the above).

However, considering I've gotten other good sounds out of the Kemper unit up to this point, I figured it had to be something in the signal chain (as minimal as my setup is). I was using 18 year old Event monitors for recording up to that point and wondered if they were the culprit.

Today I switched out to Mackie MR 624s and....poof! The fizziness all but disappeared. Smoother highs, better lows, and a cleaner sound overall.

I have a Blackstar practice amp (see link below for exact model) and I am considering trying the Kemper through it for S's & G's, but I was wondering how best to connect them.

ID:15 TVP

Other posts here and various internet sources all point to the general direction that a Kemper output (with cabinet turned off, naturally) should be routed thru an amplifier's FX return jack. This practice amp has built in effects so there is no return jack. However, it does have a jack for an MP3 player, iPhone, etc and I was ideally going to try putting it thru there (it's on the extreme left of the face plate). There is also a button on the amp itself that shuts off all cabs, etc so you hear the raw sound - I would imagine it would be best to turn that off also.

Has anyone else tried using theirs thru a Blackstar practice amp, and if so, was the end result worth it?

Also - what output from the Kemper would be best? Mains? Direct?

Thanks to All who respond.

Ok Help please...

I've connected a Mission Engineering Inc EP1-KP expression pedal with a stereo cable to the Switch/Pedal Jack 1 on the Kemper Rack, and also on the Pedal itself.
    But, it will not control the volume. I would like it to be pre-stomps.

I have read the Reference Manual that says you should be able to adjust the volume and location under the RIG menu - I found that and played with the knobs, etc,
    but the pedal still has no effect and does not work as either a volume pedal (-5.0 range) or a boost (+5.0 range).

What am I doing wrong and/or what am I missing?

Thanks to any and all who respond.

YES! This is what I am talking about!

It would be a very quick way to instantly select "no effect" instead of scrolling through the menus. Does scrolling take forever? Of course not, but why not hit a button to instantly remove a given effect if it were possible? Besides, I've often found that scrolling through the distortion sections causes a significant volume boost. While it's up to the user to turn down their speakers, amp etc, it's very easy to forget this when "in the heat of battle" so to speak (Trust me - I've seen speaker damage take place first hand when someone stepped on a pedal, etc.that should have been removed from a signal chain). So I would consider this to sort of help with the "equipment safety factor" as well.

...and of course you know that adding switched-off fx doesn't change the sound a single bit, don't you?  ^^

Yes, I am aware, but again that's not the main purpose of this request - this is more of a quick change to no effects for a given button. This is simply to make editing a little bit faster, that's all. If it can't be done, then so be it - Like I said, it's not a crucial update or anything.

LOL...no worries, it's a fair question.

You can definitely do that, but when you re-enable the stomps, all of those effects still be assigned to those buttons and the lights above them stay lit. I dunno, maybe I am just extra picky, but I like my profiles being "clean" of any effects that I am not using. I guess it comes from the idea that the less pedals in the chain = cleaner sound and less chances of something going wrong.

Again, this would be a handy feature for being able to quickly remove an effect from a button, but it's not an essential upgrade or anything.

:)

FWIW, I used a Two Note Torpedo Live (without the Mic, Cab, or EQ engaged) to profile my Marshall JVM and it turned out pretty well for my first attempts. I don't know if it's any better (or worse?) than any of the above mentioned DI boxes, but I was pretty happy with the results, especially when combined with Redwirez cab impulses.

How do I completely remove an effect from a button? By this I mean that I want the assigned effect completely gone, and the light above the button to not be lit at all.The result would be as if an effect was never assigned to that button in the first place.

I've gone through the menus but the closest I can see is to select is for the effect to be "off" but the light is still on when I exit that screen.

Thanks to anyone who responds