Posts by LiamThompson

I have a USA EVH Wolfgang that has both pickups tapped to split to single coil mode. Dial a sparkling clean tone in single coil and there you have it. Now switch the pickups back to humbucker mode and there goes your sparkling clean tone, same tone now sounds muddy as if you have foam plugs in your ears and with the expected much stronger mid range and volume. Same if I switch up to my Les Paul. Just a symptom of single coil vs humbucker, you would really need a profile setting for each to get a more consistent level of brightness across the board.

Right I've looked up this Di box to make sure there is nothing out of the ordinary with it.

If you are doing a Direct Amp profile, as in Pre and Power amp profiled together to completely mimic your head using your Kemper powerhead or Kemper unpowered through a solid state power amp and cab I believe you should be setting up your chain like this:

1. Guitar --> Kemper Front Input
    2. Kemper DIRECT SEND OUTPUT --> Framus Cobra Input
    3. Framus Speaker Output --> Countryman DI Box Input (INSTRUMENT Input and Speaker Setting selected on switch)
    5. Countryman DI Box AMP output --> 4X12 cabinet
    6. Countryman DI XLR Output --> Kemper XLR Return

I believe this is what your are telling us but just to clarify.

Use the return level on the Kemper once in profile mode to set the level of the signal into the Kemper trying to keep it going no louder than the odd hit into the yellow on the output LED if turning down the return input on the Kemper doesn't help use a pad setting on your DI (if you have the 85S version, it appears the standard 85 doesn't have the -15 and -30 pad options) till you find a decent level that isn't overloading the Kemper.

As for the noise if this is still an issue after setting up like I explained, first try engaging the Ground Lift on your DI box, if it is still a little noisy and won't profile try engaging another ground lift on the back of the Kemper (I'm sure the manual says as a last resort use the ground lift on the direct send last, use the others on the Kemper first).

I'm pretty certain using a ground lift or two with sort your issue.

Failing that the only other situation I've saw this happen is on extreme high gain amps with the gain approaching 10, but we are talking the amount of gain that I believe should never ever be used or needed.

I think having a look into the panorama function may help you from what I remember it can move the rigs the stereo field.

From the manual : Panorama This parameter allows to move the signal within the stereo base. The “Panorama” parameter affects HEADPHONE OUTPUT plus all "Master…" Output Sources of MAIN OUT as well as S/PDIF OUT

How do you turn off the one in the input stage? I wonder if this might be the reason my profiles are suffereing in the high end...

The noise gate on the input stage definitely effects the high end if you are the kind of player that rolls back the guitar volume to clean up your sound on a higher gain amp. Say if you have that set to say 5 or above and try to clean up your sound using the volume pot it sounds like you are rolling the tone off as well, this is due to the input gate working differently to the stomp gates. I believe the input gate works more as noise suppressor for filtering "hiss" from the signal rather than the stomp gates which effectively open and close like a traditional noise gate.

Right Tim I've tried all phase 28 you made for me, all spot on as usual!! I still prefer and will continue to use the profile of the HBE channel SAT switch ON Voice switch R and the rest OFF as my main tone. It's great to now have my preferred EQ and gain settings for both channels with every switch combination possible (bar the fat switch we discussed I have no real use for), its almost like having the real amp in front of me and flicking the switches as I want.

Regarding the profile comparison with the reactive load box against the Carvin cab, to me the profile with the real cab sounds more open in the high mids and treble, I suppose like the treble or presence has been turned down by 0.5 on the amp before profiling. I think it sounds a little more compressed too. I think to me it sounds a little like what Sambrox mentions in the difference he hears, and that I hear to a far lesser extent in the Direct Amp Vs some Merged Profiles or the same amp. Although I think without a direct comparison like we had I doubt it would really matter much at all to use the load box, it still sounded great just different.

Cheers again Tim, if I'm ever playing anywhere near Golden Valley I'll hit you up!

Lars, purchased your JCM800, EVH and 6534 packs. Outstanding work especially the EVH and 6534. Though would have loved some unboosted Blue channel of the EVH as all the Blue channels seemed to be boosted.

I'd highly recommend these merged profiles as they are actually better than the Deadlight Merged Profiles that were included in the Kemper 3.0 Firmware especially if you like more mids in your tone than the profiles included in 3.0.