Posts by LiamThompson

This is the video that made me realize this was the amp I needed to get the tone I had been chasing for the last year, the sound I'd been hearing in my head. Through Tim's generosity and hard work in conjunction with my requests he nailed exactly what I was looking for.

Hi Tim, been away for a week so was a nice surprise to logon and find these new profiles, greatly appreciated............however :) ...........we did another batch of settings for me after the settings you have recreated from phase 9 in Phase 21 that were part originally part of phase 15 that I settled on. The settings that were my favorite were:

HBE Channel, voice switch R, SAT On, Fat OFF, C45 OFF,
    Gain 6, Bass 7, Mid 7, Treble 6.5, Presence 6, Master 3.5
    Shure SM57 & Audio Technical AT4040.
    SM57 was 2" from the front of the speaker frame, 1/2 inch from the edge of the dome, angle = 0deg, level = 0dB.
    AT4040 was 2" from the front of the speaker frame, 1" from the edge of the dome, angle = 0deg, level = -5dB, Treble = -5 (on the mixer).
    Mic's were ran into an Allen Heath Mix Wizard 16:2 and then into the KPA.

When you are less busy if you could re-profile a DIRECT and a STUDIO of these settings I'd be over the moon and if you have time another with exactly the same settings but with the mids on 6. I will compare them to see if there has been much difference between profiling with 2.7 over 3.01.

Thanks again for your time to do this. In the meantime I will give the profile you have done for me a go and compare them to the original phase 9 Direct profile with the same settings a go and let you know my findings.

Yeah, im the opposite. Id like a merged profile down the road so that i can port the cab to other author's amp profiles!

Yes definitely a smarter idea. I'd also like a merged profile and a studio profile as well as a direct one of my settings if possible whenever you have time, just in case if find like on 2.8 the sound changed every so slightly through a cab once I merged the profile as I'd still like to use a pure direct profile live in smaller venues and a merged profile when running to FOH also in the larger venues.

I can post the exact settings you used for me if you ever get round to doing it, (I'm sure you'll have them in your notes from the different phases anyway)

Thanks again Tim.

I think say again as I have many times on this thread I agree with starsend and JerEvil tha these are the BEST profiles I've ever heard and in fact I like the personal Direct profiles Tim made to my spec better than any guitar sound live I've ever had and that's including "real" valve amps I've owned. Credit were it is definitely due.

Really looking forward to getting stuck into the Dirty Shirly and Quick Rod profiles as I've had to give them a miss for now due to moving home.

One thing I was curious about during all of this is you clearly have a great skill at profiling. As I said before the direct profiles for the BE-100 you did for me are literally the best tone I've ever had. How do you go about your refining process? Anything special or out of the norm or just a standard 20 seconds or so of hard strumming of chords? It seems that whatever you are doing works perfect so I was curious?

Great stuff again Tim, will be sure to check this out as well as the smallbox profiles, as I would love a personal profile of each.

Not sure when I'll get time to try any of these as I'm moving house this week so lots to do!

I'll stay a lot more in the background on these two though as you got the exact tone I was after with the BE-100 for my live setup. Just one profile and a direct profile of each amp would be enough for me if you had time towards the end of the phases you work through as I'll know roughly from the different profiles by then what I would like to hear. Time for others to get some perfect profiles for their tastes other than me haha.

Mainly use an EVH Wolfgang Humbucker, Bill Lawrence HBR/L Humbucker that came stock with my 89 Les Paul Standard, and have a few guitars equipped EMG 81 in the bridge. I fine Clean Sense at - 6 and Distortion Sense at 0.0 works best, that's low enough for any of my pickups to not clip into the red and keep the clean tones balanced with the overdriven rigs.

The EVH is the lowest output, then Bill Lawrence followed by the active 81 being the loudest, however I find it easiest with the EVH to clip the input probably due to it having a greater dynamic range and headroom than the active 81 running at 9V

I finally tried these last night. For Marshally profiles, these are the best I've tried. Stunning! Especially Liam's aforementioned favourite. The merged version is going straight in to my live pool. Tim, you're a diamond!

As a side note, I tried importing from USB in 2.7.4, but they weren't recognised. I had to upgrade to the 2.8 experimental version before they showed up (I even tried pressing the secret button in 2.7.4 to no avail). Also, through my cab I noticed that the DI and Merged profiles sounded different, even though cabs were off on monitor out. Does the new firmware disable cabs automatically through monitor out? If so, I guess I was engaging CabDriver, even though it isn't needed in this instance, or...?

Cheers,
    Sam

Yes Sam I noticed also and have with any merged profiles even my own that I've tried that once merged and played back though a real cab (I always have cab driver disabled in the settings) the merge profile does sound a little different to the Direct Profile, usually the merged profile has a little less clarity and treble, whether this will be perfected come official 3.0 release I'm not sure.

Yes Tim, I have found they sound say 1db or so louder to me than the Phase 9 Direct Profiles you did for me. Not sure how they are louder but they aren't causing any clipping and sound outstanding to me.

The last set Phase 15 Direct profiles you did for me are the best yet, That extra 1 on the bass control, taking the bass from 6 to 7 was perfect, just a little extra weight and warmth without muddying the bottom end. 8 was just a step to far for me as I suspected. I can't see how this can be improved upon now.

My favorite profile and now my entire live set up bar clean tone comes from the profile:
    H15D HBE6 B7M7Ms3-5
    Which is: HBE Gain 6, Bass 7, Mid 7, Treble 6.5, Presence 6, Master 3.5

[/b]I will say this is the best guitar tone I've ever had in my life for me personally and that is the honest truth. I knew from the moment I heard Phil X's demo of the Friedman BE-100 it was the amp with the tone I'd been chasing over the last year when I decided I needed something other than your 5150/EVH 5150 type amps I'd been using for years. This profile is the exact tone I had in my head.

These are great, loving some of the new Shimmer and Particle verbs.

I was originally using MAB SHIM LD for a lead tone rig, I went through all the new presets and settled on MAB LD3[/b] as my favorite. Low and behold this must be the new name for MAD SHIM LD as I checked the delay/verb settings and they were the same as I had stored in my previous rig, is this right? If so nice to know my ears are working haha.

Regarding the Smallbox profiles, you can tell the overall tone is definitely from the same mold as the BE-100 and if I didn't know different I would have just assumed they were more BE-100 profiles with different settings.

The Smallbox sounds a little warmer and smoother no doubt due to the power amp running 50 watt rather than 100 at the same settings. I think the Smallbox voice sounds closer to the Voice Switch R than L but it seems a little fatter in the low mids, and smoother/warmer than both the BE voicings, however I find the BE to have more clarity with the same settings. It isn't exactly as if the voicing is somewhere in between the two to me definitely leans more to the R tonality to me.

Another great amp clearly.