Posts by LiamThompson

I'd prefer to work with the second one. less low mids that clutter rhythmic and harmonic information and a more extended top end - that can be tamed if needed, but not really added to the darker sounding PU.
    Although I must say, I was expecting more of a difference.

would be interesting to hear how they compare with a Tubescreamer like pedal in front of the amp - probably even more alike ;)

Yes agree, definitely have to work on the low mids with that pegasus tone as it

Agree with PaulTS, the Pegusus sounds much thicker and fuller to me and great by itself however the cold sweat would sit better in a mix as is as it's freeing up a little more space for the bass guitar and bass drums. However I do prefer the Pegasus and I think with maybe the bass dialed back a touch or a multi band compressor taming the low mids the Pegasus would still sound better in the end

I haven't been able to confirm this but it looks like 2.7.4 supports the new DI/Merged profiling. I was planning on trying the option switches on the amp during the next profiling session but if I have time afterwards I'll make a DI/Merged profile for the fun of it.

Excellent, just if you have time please don't put go right out your way right now, as I say checking those switches out next is definitely the right thing to be trying next.

Thanks again

Actually, I really do want to make some DI/Merged profiles for this project. I have made a few and to me they work really good but I was planning on doing those last because of the fact that they take a little over twice as long to make compare to a standard profile.

That being said, if you want to test some I'd be happy to make a few, just give me the specifics as best as you can such as the amp settings, mic placement/mix and I'll make some for you all to test and play with.

EDIT: I can tell you this, when the "experimental" firmware was released I made some DI/Merged profiles and they worked perfectly. In fact, the Merged profile with the cab disabled running into my real cab was so close to the real amp that I simply couldn't tell which was which while standing there in the room. So I recorded the full profile, the merged profile and the merged profile with the cab turned off running into my guitar cab, aside from a difference in levels I couldn't tell which was which, it was really cool. But I have not tested this with firmware 2.7.4, I would expect the same results but I have not confirmed this.

I'm certain the results with 2.7.4 firmware are not as good for recording direct profiles as 2.8 as the cab driver is still present in 2.7 as part of the overall profile where as 2.8 knows it is a direct profile you are taking and doesn't impart any "cab" at all, although I may be wrong.

I never got a direct line out profile I was happy with till 2.8, where as you say I couldn't really tell the difference between the profile and my real amp. If anything I found the profile contained a little less fizz to me. But please don't let me derail the project with all this talk of direct only or merged profiles however I'll be more than happy to test any direct profiles if you have time and intend to make them during the next profiling session

I think the best thing is everyone chiming in as we have been doing helping getting the profiles better and better listening to the different switches etc through the next few phases and then maybe at the end or later some direct/merged profiles would be perfect.

Right Tim I've had a go of these profiles, some of these are amazing! As you mention slightly in your read me's seems that you lost your way a little on made a few errors etc on Phase 2 as the lower gain Phase 1 Profiles are great and the Phase 4 are amazing.

Please hope you don't take any offence to that.

As a metal/rock player who actually prefers a decent amount of mids in their tone I find the profiles in Phase 4 with the MIDS at 7 the best for me although the ones with MID a 6 are great as well. I also really hear and feel the difference between switch L and R. L definitely lends itself to a more modern sound while R is slightly warmer and fatter, a little more full. I can't really decide which I like the most as they are both great for difference purposes.

I will say my favourites from the lot of phase 4 are the higher gain (9):
    HAWP4 BE9 B7M7T6P5L
    HAWP4 BE9 B7M7T6P5R

As for phase 5, I prefer the detail in the top end and high mids from the SM57 0 degrees on axis, just adds that better cut and bite for me.

The dynamic range as mentioned before is excellent on these profiles they really respond to how hard and where you pick, amazing stuff.

I'm looking forward to your next phase, which I assume are to start work on the SAT, c45 and FAT switches and hopefully some more with the HBE channel

Cheers
    Liam

Hi Liam, I was planning it at some point. If you want to try a few now we can. It's super easy with the BE100 because it has the perfect line out for making DI profiles.

Mate if you have Firmware 2.8 installed on your Kemper don't let me stop you haha or even if you are on 2.7 for some direct only profiles

Go for it definitely, it would be greatly appreciated, as I mainly use my Kemper as an amp head through a "real" cab 80% of the time and I feel the direct profiles sound infinitely superior to studio profiles with the cab driver disabled.

Tim, I will finally get round to trying these out tonight, thank you very much for the time and effort to do this for us.

I wanted to know at the end of all this would you be making any direct profiles or merged profiles using 2.8 for anyone who is using the 2.8 firmware and a guitar cab for live use?

I understand if not, this will take enough of your time up as it i imagine.

Sounds great

Good question. Unfortunately I don't own most of the amps I have profiled, so it would be extremely expensive and time consuming to redo all the profiles. I do own most of the Marshalls we've done ('68 and '74 Super Leads, '74 Lee Jackson modded, '78 MkII Lead) so I'll look into the merits of re-profiling those amps.

I have a bad case of Marshall G.A.S.

-Jimi

I was hoping that most those Marshall's were from your personal collection, as those are the 4 I like the best by far.

Great amps make great profiles! This is simply the best amp I've ever played. Not sure if it's commonplace for '74 Super Leads to sound this good, of if this is a special one. Whatever the case, I'm not arguing with the results. :thumbup:

-Jimi

Purchased the Marshall Pack yesterday, overall the best Marshall sounds I've ever had on the Kemper, especially the 74 Super Lead MAX settings. Feels exactly like a real amp in the dynamics.

Just to clarify I used to play in a modern thrash band while at the same time I play in a NWOBHM band but generally used to go for a quite modern tone carried over from the other band, using stuff like a 5150/EVH III/Dual Rectifier or the Kemper with those type of profiles.

After hearing a Friedman Brown Eye plus some modded Marshall's, I realized the tone I was hearing in my head that I was chasing and never getting there was the sound of modded and or boosted old Marshall Plexi/JCM800 amps, you know modern levels of gain but still retaining crunch and dynamics in your picking and not as compressed like a 5150 feels to me in comparison and your profiles are getting me right in the ballpark. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think I found the '74 Super Lead MAX-4 with the pure booster just hitting the front at 2.0db nigh on perfect for my live rhythm tone.

Live I mostly run the Kemper Powerhead as a traditional head straight into my Marshall Cab and have it mic'ed as normal, eventually once I have everything re-tweaked and think I can trust festival sound guys to hook me up during 20 minute change overs I will be running to front of house as well.

Sorry for the long winded post my question is, I have been experimenting with the new profiling process in the 2.8 firmware and this is ideal for me the ability to really profile the direct out accurately then merge with the studio profile to create a profile that works perfectly to the front of house and a live cab on stage to give the real feel of the real amp. Will you be re-profiling and re-releasing your amps to sell profiled with the new Direct/Merged 2.8 format as I can only imagine how accurate and great your profiles will sound done this way in the future?

I find it more intuitive to "save as" and make the back & forth changes with Rig Manager. The double click is one thing, but I also like to comment when I "mess" with settings. (guitar, pu, song).

Must admit this is how I do it and find this is the best way just add a v1,v2 etc at the and of the original name

Yes take a snapshot of the original first, then take a snap shot after the tweaks. Then go to the snapshot manager page and scroll between the two. You have to be a bit quick though thought as it closes after around 5 seconds or so after the last key press

Not sure off the top of my head how to get to the view snaphots page as I have mine assigned to the "quick" soft key but I think it accessed via a soft key in the same place where you would scroll through all your rigs.

Right guys thanks for all your help it's all working now. Definitely time to either fit a switch or a 1 meg pot in this amp to disable the noise reduction as currently out of its chassis with a wire across the diodes everytime I want to make profile just isn't practical haha.

I'm ready to give up profiling this amp. I've jumped CR1 to CR2 the noise increases as expected. Now the Kemper is telling me the noise level is too great to profile. I've engaged ground lifts on my DI box etc and the only way I can get it to take a profile is with the gain around 2 with no boost in the front end. Any higher and it won't work. I only want the gain on 4 in the crunch channel, I'm not using any ridiculous amount gain like a 13 year old death metal fan would when starting off in their bedroom haha. Also when it does profile it literally still sounded nothing like the real amp back through the same cab, more like a very uncontrolled in the lows fuzzed up stoner doom guitar sound as if the clarity was right off and the definition is at like 1.0 which to be fair it is after the profiling. I can't think anywhere I may be going wrong.