Posts by LiamThompson

In the clip posted by Webb, 8 people could tell which one was the amp.

I must stress here while I guessed which was the real amp, I wasn't 100% certain if I was right but pushed I'd have put money on that I was correct as I was almost certain. What I was sure about was that I thought the second clip, which proved to be the real amp sounded better to my ears.

As I said, I hear certain things through experience, the same as @sinmix hears when you have made a lot of profiles and you have A B'd them a lot. The differences I hear though are about 5% different in total tone at worst to sometimes while really, really listening 1% if the profile captures the amp successfully. Usually it's the dynamics/decay/compression how the profile reacts, things like that more so than the frequency range it captures. I could take 5 profiles with identical settings and setup literally seconds apart and have 5 different minutely different profiles, especially after refining, but usually these would be so so close to each other and the real amp, but not exact. That's about as good as my expectations are really and I suppose its good enough for me.

Amen to that. It seems that some people (though probably not as many as with some other products) have such a bizarre need to defend the kemper as always being absolutely spot on. It feels.. .religious at times.

I know exactly what you mean. Sorry to @Webb for slightly taking this off topic but after this I'm done lol.

The Kemper, for me playing fly dates and also gigs such as festivals with a quick change over time is untouchable and indispensable for me, it really is one of the greatest if not the greatest tool for me out there without a doubt. A while ago I wouldn't have believed I could get my tone and all effects in a single bass drum pedal gig bag and carry it on a plane as hand luggage, that is really out of this world for me.

I have also experienced so many times my tone to me has been much greater than say the other guitar players tone. That would be me going direct to the FOH with the Kemper compared to his real head, real 4X12 and real mic setup, due to either incompetent engineers, bad rental/house gear or rushed setup and sound check times.

However, I cannot say that the Kemper, even when using my own profiles of my modified Marshall JMP Super Lead (which are as close to my amp as I can ever imagine getting) or any others for that matter sound as good as my real amp at gig level, my real cabs with a good SM57 positioned correctly on a stage with enough space to keep spill to a minimum. The real thing just has that extra cut, moves that little more air, fills in the sound space that bit more, reacts that little better. After all, once you have you gear dialed in exactly how you like and mic'ed exactly how you want no matter what, the profile is an approximation/simulation of the real deal and that's the facts. But if the amp is falling just a little short of what you want to hear, the tweaks you can make in a profile of that amp within the Kemper could actually improve on what you hear from the real amp no doubt.

When I have the time, transport and space to set up my full Marshall stack I actually still run the Kemper with the 4 cable method for just effects in the front of the amp and the loop of the amp as I love the effects in the Kemper bar the lack of a plate reverb. This way if you switch to a rig with the Distortion Loop turned off and turn on the Amp and EQ within the stack section I can still get a sparkling clean sound out of my cranked single channel Marshall.

Having the Kemper means I have the choice for the best of all situation that should arise.

Guessed? Nahhh, simply for Me - you hear the differences or you belive thats both sounds the same spot on kemper better than real amp. End of story - but for sure dont sounds the same.
    Stay Metal!

Yeah I'm in the same camp as you.

From taking a few hundred profiles of my amps I can usually hear the difference between the the real amp and the profile, more so with direct profiles than studio ones. These differences are very subtle and to be honest more than good enough to me. But...I'm not a believer that the Kemper carbon copies a tone and I don't get super defensive about this if it's questioned.

Am I happy with my Kemper? Yes I absolutely love it, it's possibley the best purchase I've made in years, but I can also say that it's not absolutely perfect.

:thumbup: wider, deeper, more organic, not that static on palmutes like Kemper (in this example 1 sample :D ). Now put both tracks in the mix and start mixing - nothing drastic just eq on guitars maybe + what is more important mastering process. When you make mix sounds louder you can simply hear also more. Same thing compared direct profile vs Real amp signal taken with Dibox connected between amp and cab.
    Stay Metal!

Sin you want to hope we are right haha!

I'm going Kemper first, real Cameron CCV second, regardless which is which, I think the second sounds better to me.

Edit: On a second listen later I find the second one to sound quite a bit better, its more noticeable to me than before. Sounds a lot more "open" is the best I can describe it.

@mtmartin71 Yes I understand exactly what you are saying. I was in the same boat trying to capture profiles. Either hire out practise rooms/studios for a few hours and capture some profiles as you know a 100 watt JMP Super lead is not something you can turn up in the house! or sneak a quick direct profile during a break at band practise and test later on at home. I found the best solution for me was to buy a Suhr Reactive Load. Now I can make direct profiles in silence whenever I want or also use it with a cab and use it as a standard high quality DI box.

I know its not the ideal or "recommended" way to capture profiles due to the impedance curve etc but what I can say is the direct amp profiles are coming out much better using the reactive load and it's DI out than when I was using my actual cab and a Behringer Ultra-G DI box. I'd say the Suhr is the closest thing you can get to mimicing a real cab impedance curve and I've got to say I'm more than happy with the results. I then twin the resulting profile with either my merged cab I made or my impulse I made of it.

@mtmartin71 I take back what I said about not refining direct amp profiles. Been running some more this morning and although I thought the profiles sounded good they always lacked the bottom end compared to the real amp when comparing the raw direct sounds. Tried refining just now and the full bottom end is there!

Only thing I'm trying different is using less preamp gain than last time, when I have a much more distorted tone the refining was making a muddy mess of the resulting direct profiles.

@Guidorist Do you still have the 3120 in your possession? If you do you can check out this post this will show you what to do. I actually shorted the diodes temporarily just using a little cut from a D string stuck under the diode anodes and cathodes on the board.......but I'd not really recommend that!

https://www.kemper-amps.com/fo…issues-Peavey-Triple-XXX/

I'd imagine the boards for these amps are 99% identical.

From that I think 1.0 equals 1 cent and 10.0 equals 10 cent.

Hi Spinner. See in a way to me that would make sense but 10.0 seems way "out of tune" for only 10 cents pitch shift. When using Eventide units or Waves Doubler in a DAW I set it to around 10-13ms and 9 cents up and down left and right almost a classic H3000 settings for later Van Halen type detune etc and that sounds about where I hear the Kemper at higher 5 lower 6 range when I A-B them.

I think the description in the manual is quite good:
    "Micro Pitch is a detune effect, based on pitch shifter technology. The result sounds more stable than a
    classic chorus, because it avoids the cyclic modulation effect of a low frequency oscillator (LFO)."

think of the MicroPitch as a pitchshifter that works in cents (1/100th of a semi-tone) instead of semi-tones.

what else in unclear?

Thread resurrection

@DonPetersen Do you know exactly what the micropitch 0.0 to 10.0 range is in cents? I think I hear around 5.8 to 6.2 to be around 9 cents +/- left and right. Also do you know what the preset delay offset is in ms for this effect? Does the delay time also increase slightly as the amount of detune is increased?

I can tell you with my Marshall 2203 I made around 30 direct profiles last night and first thing I'd try is to not refine your direct profiles and see how that works first.

I have yet to make a direct profile with every amp I've tried that hasn't altered the tone in a negative way significantly by refining. I always find it chokes and congests the mids, dulls the top end and makes the lows very flubby compared to the actual amp. This however never happens on studio profiles I make.

Some other observations I made last night when profiling my Marshall was that the definition comes in lower when:
    1. You increase the mids -
    2. When you increase the master and the phase inverter and power amp starts to saturate, although depending on how the rest of the EQ is set this can also go the other way.
    3. You use less gain.

I realise points 1 and 3 are not really viable to you using a Marshall 2061x

Also similar to @Jimmyn says, I have took a profile touched nothing literally seconds apart and have had the final definition change from from say 7.7 to around 9.2 no problem, this is without rebooting, which really isn't right but I only really notice this on direct profiles barely seems to fluctuate on studio profiles when taking another straight after without changing anything.

Another thing I have no doubt you didn't have any noise gate active when profiling but did you get a warning from the Kemper saying a noise gate was detected regardless as I've saw this happen and the definition comes in extremely low, re profile straight away and it shows no error and it can come back around 8.2 where I'd expect for the tone I'd be dialing in....go figure?!?

I was thinking about this the other day, using the new delays as @meambobbo used to use the original delays as reverbs. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

I really want/need a good plate reverb that sounds like a bright EMT250. At the moment all I do use use the hall verb and use the EQ settings within to get the basic frequency range I'm after but it still obviously sounds nothing like a plate reverb. I just love the sound when I run my EMT250 impulse responses in my DAW whilst using the Kemper. I think I'll start trying the new delays and seeing if I can work anything closer to a plate sound.

L

Hi guys,

Our next profile creation will be the
    PVY 3xx0 MERGED (Seeking to re-create the sound of a Peavey® 3120 EL34)

coming out on Jan 27th! :)

Looking forward to this on Guido as I have a Peavey XXX myself but pretty much prefer the EL34 sound over 6L6 these days seeing that this is the same amp with EL34's.

Not sure if you have started profiling this but if you haven't you may run into issues especially when trying to take direct profiles of this amp. It has built in noise reduction circuitry on channels Crunch and Lead courtesy of two diodes that can cause the amp not to profile correctly and detect a noise gate in the chain. Profiles can come out with definition set to 0.2 when it should be closer to 8.0 or above for a modern metal tone.

Unlike your JSX it can't be dialed in and out with a pot. The way Sinmix and I got to profile our Triple XX'X's was to either jump the two diodes out of the circuit, you hear the backgfround hiss increase or as Sinmix did, have a toggle switch fitted to remove the diodes in and out of the path.