Posts by PCB

The benefits of a pet-free home are often emphasised when I'm looking to buy some gear on eBay or similar. Well I never worried too much as we have 3 elderly cats ourselves.

Then disaster struck. We were experimenting using a different litter tray and in the feline confusion one cat peed on my Namba bag, shock horror! I don't want to name names, but I think Rosie did it!

Anyway, I spent a lot of time and money using special sprays (to eliminate the smell), but they didn't work. There was always that vague, embarrassing aroma!

So there was no choice! I undid the internal zips on the bag and removed all the foam and stiffening from it. I then put the now floppy bag into the washing machine on a cool wash with bio powder. Then into the blow drier on a dry synthetic setting. I hope you are all noting the technical machine settings (no controls should be turned up to 11).

The bag emerged clean and smelt as fresh as a daisy! The foam and stiffening went back in with a bit of difficulty, but now the bag looks brand new.

On holiday in USA and just spent a day in Memphis. We visited Gracelands, Sun Studios, then did a tour of the Gibson factory in Memphis where they make the 335.

Before going into the factory we went into the Gibson retail shop. They were happy for us to try the instruments and we jammed a few numbers with my wife on vocals, a friend on an SG bass and me on a J200.

As we left for the factory tour I saw a KPA white face toaster on display, but we had run out of time........oh well.

In the evening we ate in Beale street and soaked up some blues. Marvellous day.

Next stop New Orleans.

Paul :)

I had no idea that the KPA would fit in the Namba bag in a face up (or down position!

Would this allow the remote to fit more easily? I am away from home Without the KPA at the moment, so if someone can try it and let me know, that would be great.

Thanks
    Paul

My profiler remote order history is complete as follows: (I'm in the UK)

23 December 2014 18:19 registered as an Early Bird
    14 January 2015 15:29 notified by Kemper that orders can be placed
    15 January 2015 11.34 paid via PayPal funds taken from account
    15 January 2015 12.34 order no 3447052 shows in my Kemper store account
    18 February 2015 15:00 early bird news: "remotes start shipping next week"
    20 February 2015 15.52 my projected delivery date is from April 13th onward
    10 April 2015 09:45 new status is "Ready for delivery"
    16 April 2015 12:23 delivered by UPS

Delivery was a day late because of UPS in the UK.
    Packaging was strong and secure.
    Remote in perfect condition and booted up immediately, no problem.
    All seems to be working properly.

Oh happy day.
    :)

My projected delivery date was from April 13th onwards
    I got my email this morning 10 April 9:45 am UK time from Kemper online store.

"The status of your order with order number 3447052 of 15.01.2015
    has changed. The new status is as follows: Ready for delivery."

So the original projected date is looking good.

Gonna put on my dancing shoes!

Paul

I think we know that a good proportion of the rigs we buy in a commercial bundle will not suit our needs. If we try before we buy and buy only the specific rigs we need, the supplier must charge more per rig to maintain his revenue streams. My view of what sounds good keeps changing and often I adopt a commercial rig I had previously discarded, when searching for a specific cover tone or using a different guitar. The same of course applies to all the wonderful rigs on the rig exchange, it's going to take a lifetime but it puts a big smile on my face while my wife is watching the TV soaps.

Rdwilson wrote

SORRY I was confused when I posted earlier . I had posted JAN, then changed to FEB order date, but here is a COPY & PASTE of email from KEMPER SALES, hope this will help someone , although, I doubt it.

Hi rdwilson, no worries.

The earliest I could have ordered was the 14th January (UK time). The remote started shipping in the week after 18 February so a delay of one day in ordering has delayed my delivery by 2 months. I guess there was an avalanche of orders on that first day.

Not such an early bird now.

good idea, here is mine ordered FEB- 16 # 3447076 Dear Roger Wilson -

Thank you for ordering Remote. We will start shipping next week and your Remote is scheduled to ship on Calender Week 16: From April 13th

Your order status is really frustrating for me (not your fault):

My order no is 3447052 yours is 3447076 (not much different)
    My projected delivery date is from April 13th onwards. Same as yours.
    But I ordered and paid for my remote on 15 January (a month before you).
    Looks like my delivery schedule is a month slower than yours.

I live in the UK and you are in the USA.
    Perhaps Kemper could clarify this.

My Bose L1 is the small mono line array with integrated sub woofer called the L1 "compact". It is great as a small PA (for audiences up to 100 people or so) and I run the KPA through it with vocals and rhythm guitar with some bass cut on the KPA.

With the L1 behind us on stage as our main PA I do not need a separate floor monitor for the KPA. The sound is clear and well balanced and the whole thing weighs about 25 lbs and is assembled in a few minutes.

At home I can use the L1 in the collapsed position as a practice monitor. For close proximity it needs to be collapsed or there is too much separation between the sub woofer and the upper line array speakers.

If you are looking for a dedicated onstage floor monitor for your KPA I would, however, consider the DXR10 both in terms of purpose and price. I base this on other members favourable reviews of the DXR10 as I do not have one.

I suspect the L1 compact would not work so well as a floor monitor. It is not designed for that purpose even in the collapsed position, although it has plenty of volume and clarity. Probably there would be too much sound dispersion as the tiny line array speakers cover a 180 degree horizontal sound field.

I think it depends on your specific needs. The L1 is a marvellous small PA that can handle the KPA tones effortlessly. You should definitely try both before you buy. Best of luck

Paul

I live in the UK.
    My remote is scheduled to ship on Calender Week 16: From April 13th onwards.
    The order status still says "not processed".
    I ordered and paid up front (PayPal) on 15 January at 11.34 UK time.
    Has anyone who ordered on or after that time got their order "in process" or received a shipping date or maybe even received their remote?
    Am I paranoid?...........

Every night I log in via windows (windows)
    "Not processed yet" is all I ever see (ever see)
    Others with their KPRs are laughing (laughing)
    Will parcel force deliver one to me?

Hi Morty and Zappledan.
    I use near field monitors, so at close range the sound pressure levels feel quite high. I have also gigged occasionally via FOH PA with floor monitor, so I understand what you are saying. But even mainly as a bedroom player I still get the response and feel I would get from a real amp, which of course could never be played responsively at bedroom levels. I believe the KPA is the very best device for this purpose.
    Cheers,
    Paul

I have had my KPA for a year or so now. Primarily a bedroom player. I have bought commercial profiles and only scratched the surface of the rig exchange. Finding tone can be a challenge. I tend to look for tones that match a particular song I may be working on at any given time, often researching the original gear that may have been used for the recording or live performance.

Guitar wise I have the basic ingredients, a Strat and a Les Paul, both with additional pickup switching options. Once I find a rig that suits I save it to the KPA in browse mode via rig manager and then copy it across to performance mode into the relevant performance slot(s) where I modify for effects/pedals if needed. I have also collected rigs for generic performance tones eg blues, jazz, pop, rock, metal (I can't shred).

The combination of factors that create a given tone can be very complex so I tend to search for a rig (via Rig Manager) that sounds very close without tweaking. I search for an amp tone I like then try various gain levels and mic types where these have been separately profiled.

Before I began this tone seeking process I backed up and then deleted all rigs in browse mode. Since then I have collected about 50 rigs in browse mode all used in various slots in performance mode. I can see this browse mode collection steadily growing and sometimes I find a new rig to replace an existing one where it more accurately nails the tone I want. All these browse mode rigs are very useable for me.

Before the KPA most of us might have owned a few guitar amps (not all at the same time) and have some favourite settings. Now we can have them all. Do you have a strategy for finding the tones you love?

Hi Jevo,
    Just spent a large chunk of the evening with your profiles, mainly the Blackmore.
    Now I feel as if I won the lottery.
    Very generous gesture. Much appreciated. :)
    thank you,
    Paul

My profiler remote order history so far (I'm in the UK)

23 December 2014 18:19 registered as an Early Bird
    14 January 2015 15:29 notified by Kemper that orders can be placed
    15 January 2015 11.34 paid via PayPal funds taken from account
    15 January 2015 12.34 order no 3447052 shows in my Kemper store account
    18 February 2015 15:00 early bird news, remotes to start shipping next week
    20 February 2015 15.52 my projected delivery date from April 13th onwards

I will be on holiday towards the end of April!
    Changed delivery address to my Son's house in case of delayed delivery.
    Probably won't see remote now until May.

Then when I awoke I was alone
    This (early) bird has flown :(

Thanks KD, I enjoyed the video very much. I have the 50th anniversary Strat with the S1 switch, so the tonal range is very wide and offers as much as I want from a Strat without losing the 3 single coil format that I love. More recently I got a 2013 Les Paul standard for the humbucker tones, but it has coil taps on both pickups to cross into Strat and almost acoustic territory. There is also a switch to put the 2 pickups out phase so between the LP and the Strat I can find almost any electric tone that I need. For acoustic work I have an old steel strung Martin J40m.

For practice and semi acoustic venues I often use my old Vox DA5 as a monitor. (There is now a successor of similar spec). I can use the line in, but if I need to use the volume control on the DA5 I go through the clean guitar input and bypass the effects. I can achieve quite a flat response using the single tone control (as measured against my small studio monitors at home). I keep the hinged back of the DA5 closed for this purpose.

Paul

I got the Email half an hour ago having ordered and paid upfront via PayPal back in January. I know this is a stereotyped Email but what exactly does the following paragraph mean?

"In case, you haven't put down your order already, please note that we will close the prioritized order for "early birds" like you on Friday, 06-March-2015."

Do I have to take some further action to remain on the priority list?