Posts by PCB

Hi again Zoso,
    Just to confirm that EBJ 250k volume pedal with modified "Y" cable works great for me as wah wah as well as volume.
    Cheers,
    Paul

Hi Fegil,

A late arrival at the party is very welcome.

IT WORKS FOR ME TOO!!!!

Fantastic, thanks a million.

Paul

Hi Ingolf,
    Thanks for the swift response. I feared as much.

I saw something about "volume to wah" settings in the midi setup, and hoped that this would at least allow the use of the volume pedal except where a rig has an active wah pedal, in which case it would default to a wah pedal. I can't get this to work, so I assume this only applies to pedals connected via a midi foot controller. Could you also advise if I have understood this properly?

Many thanks
    Paul

I am trying to minimise foot controls where stage space is limited. I have an FCB 1010 (EurekaPROM2) but it is too big for this purpose. So, instead, I have a dual momentary foot-switch, to step up/down performances/slots, plugged into the KPA pedal 1 jack and an expression pedal in jack 2. This would work for me except that I believe that the assignment of expression type is global and not by rig. This is a real disappointment and I think this is also Burningyen's issue in post 169 on the "which feature would you like to be added next" thread.

If there is a work around or I have misunderstood can someone please advise?

I use performance mode for each song, e.g. with, say : intro s1, verse s2, bridge s3, solo s4' outro s5.

When necessary I use a simple up down foot-switch connected to the KPA to minimise my stage footprint, so auto load s1 is the only thing that makes sense for me in that situation.

By all means provide other menu alternatives, but auto load s1 seems to me to be the only logical default.

Thanks,
    Paul

Hi Zoso,

Welcome.

I have used a "Y" cable, the 2 mono jacks into my EB J 250k volume pedal and the stereo jack into the KPA. Inside the stereo jack casing I soldered a tiny 27k resistor between the tip and the ring contacts. This brings the maximum resistance seen by the KPA down to about 24k, which is within the KPA impedance range as against the standard 250k which is presented by the pedal without this modification and well outside the KPA range.

The pedal of course also remains quite useable as an analogue volume control and the whole cost has been about £5 (Great British Pounds) for both the cable and the resistor.

For volume control, I am delighted with the full range result and have yet to test the wha and other expression pedal effects. I know the wha effect has a wide range of adjustments so I am very optimistic.

Best of luck,
    Paul

It's nice to be consulted, but another vote will inevitably take time.

Where are we in the design stage if we are still debating the configuration of foot switches?

If the bulk of the commercial designs follow a standard footswitch configuration then we should follow it and minimise the learning curve.

I really think we deserve an update the whole KPA floorboard issue.

Hi Ken,
    I have looked at small amp stands and guitar stands, but did not think of a Hi Fi speaker stand. Nice bit of lateral thinking. I also like the idea of cutting down the FCB and connecting an external expression pedal via the existing jack sockets.
    Great stuff!
    Many thanks,
    Paul

The little bungie is something I made up. It hooks onto the strap lugs and I secure my Toaster to a small stand. Works great to keep it steady and harder to knock off.

Hi Gizmo,
    I am looking for a stand for my toaster and wondered what you are using and if you could post a picture?
    Many thanks
    Paul

I think this is probably a question for the Kemper team, but it must have crossed the minds of other KPA users, so all thoughts would be appreciated.

If I buy a Mission EP1-KP expression pedal now, plugging it either directly into my KPA or via a modified FCB 1010 (EurekaProm) can I have some certainty that the pedal will work properly if I eventually obtain the Kemper foot controller and plug it directly into that?

Thanks
    Paul

Many thanks to all of you who have helped on this. Very much appreciated.

At the moment I am away at a folk festival and will put into practice the advice you have kindly given when I get back home to my KPA.

I will try to keep you posted on this.

Thanks again,
    Paul
    :)

Can someone please advise how best to set up a harmoniser effect to create the big two-guitar solo at the end of Hotel California using one guitar?

Thanks in anticipation
    Paul

Given that amps can be profiled from ultra clean to fully overdriven including distortion pedals of all kinds, in the long term, the KPA will have little need to use distortion pedals in the stomp section of the signal chain. I also find that the best high gain profiles for me are those which used only the amp without distortion or overdrive pedals. Either way this presumably leaves the KPA with more processing power for other stomps and effects, or am I missing something here?

Paul

Amaze-B
    What midi message type is the HD500 sending to the KPA for stomp A and which midi channel is being used? Check these against the corresponding HD500 midi settings that are being sent to those KPA stomps that are behaving properly.
    Cheers,
    Paul

Hi Amaze-B

As I understand it, to achieve what you want , the midi value assigned to the HD500 foot switch controlling Bank A (stomp A?) needs to be SAVED on the HD500 with a value of "127" with the foot switch light on. Then when you call the patch up on the HD500 it should set stomp A to "on" on the KPA.

It sounds to me as if you have saved your HD500 patch with the midi value set to "000" for the HD500 foot switch controlling stomp A. This would automatically switch off stomp A on the KPA when you call up the patch on the HD500.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
    Paul

I started another thread on this some time ago. I have copied my initial post and, hopefully it will help.
    Cheers
    Paul

HD500 LEDs still mismatched with KPA stomps? I think I have the definitive solution!
    As many of us have, I decided to use my HD500 as a midi controller for the KPA.

As explained on the "HD500 as midi controller" thread (which expired over 90 days ago) I set up dummy stomps in each HD500 patch to enable the foot-switch LEDs to operate. I matched their on/off status to the corresponding rig status as saved on the KPA. I then saved the HD500 patch.

Even though I had set up each HD500 patch very carefully I still got odd results from the KPA when calling up certain rigs. Sometimes KPA stomps were off that should be on, or vice versa, irrespective of the HD500 LEDs which still displayed the expected stomp status. This was not corrected by stepping on the relevant foot-switch, it simply reversed the on/off status between the two machines, still leaving the stomp status and LEDs mismatched.

I now think I understand the problem and I hope this explanation will help anyone else who may be as confused as I was.

The HD500 LEDs reflect the on/off status of the HD500 dummy stomps, they do not of themselves send any data to the KPA. The secret lies in the midi data assigned to each foot-switch. It is the midi data which is actually sent by the HD500 to the KPA each time you call up another patch or subsequently turn a stomp on or off.

If you are experiencing the problems I had, just check when you set an HD500 foot-switch to "on", that the corresponding midi "VALUE" =127, if the HD500 foot-switch is set to "off" make sure the corresponding midi "VALUE" = 000. Then save it.

I did this and now the HD500 LEDs and the expected KPA rig status match every time I change rigs and the foot switch LEDs remain in sync with the KPA.

Please post on this thread if this solution does, or does not, work for you, just in case there is more research to be done.

Thanks
    Paul

I prefer not to use headphones and the ability to play authentic and responsive tones (clean or high gain) at home without disturbing the family is an enormous advantage. Even a 5 watt tube amp is too loud at higher gain and volume levels and using a power break kills the cabinet tone.

I have used my L1 Compact for about 3 years and love its response. I have two of them and have run them as stereo with keyboard and guitar. I am wondering if I couldn't do the same with KPA, for a fuller response. Just got the KPA today and tried it on earphones, it is unbelievable. Now, if I can just get the same response from either 1 or 2 L1 compacts, I will be in heaven. I have the tone match as well. Should I run the KPA through it or straight to the line only inputs?

Hi Camchada

As I said in my earlier reply, you should use only the Bose L1 line input for connecting the KPA.

Tone-match is only for mic or piezo acoustic input and will colour the KPA sound. Through the line inputs the KPA sounds great!

I hope you enjoy the KPA/Bose combination as much as I do.

Cheers
    Paul

I use the KPA through my Bose L1 compact and it is excellent. It is full range flat response mono with a180 degree sound stage and will operate as a full PA for venues up to 100 people.

Go to your Bose dealer and try the KPA through it. Make sure you only use a line input for the KPA, you can use the acoustic guitar input on the Bose provided it is switched to "line", otherwise the tone match circuit for piezo acoustic will colour your sound. Do not use the mic input as this has a tone match circuit for an SM58 which would also colour the KPA sound. There are two other line in connections on the Bose and a line out. Download the manual if you need more detail before trying.

I use the Bose in its collapsed position on a table at ear level for home practice and rig tuning. The sound is clear and detailed and of course it works well using direct mic and acoustic guitar inputs with the KPA connected via one of the other two line inputs.

Give it a try.

Paul

Hi Violin Dave

I have a Bose L1 compact, with which I am delighted. Using my acoustic guitar which has an L R Baggs piezo pickup and matching built in preamp which I plug into the Bose "Tonematch" acoustic guitar input. The sound is crisp and clean, eliminating the harsher qualities of simply using the line input on the Bose L1 compact.

This would be the setting on which to profile the Bose L1 compact. I intend to do this but I only have an SM58 vocal mic and I am no expert, so I am not necessarily expecting the best result.

I also play acoustic violin using a Fishman V200 pickup and matching preamp, but have not been pleased with its tone through the line input on the Bose but it is a little sweeter via the "Tonematch" guitar input. The V200 has not given me a good violin tone on any equipment without a lot of adjustment.

Using the violin through the KPA, I have omitted the impedance matching preamp (for convenience) and used a rig without amp or cab, although I will experiment with these. The pickup output is very low so a boost was needed. The bass was very boomy so I eliminated that using the graphic EQ and used a noise gate to suppress handling noise. I also adjusted a few other frequencies to improve tone. I still have work to do on this in due course but the violin is not my main instrument.

I hope this helps

Paul