Posts by PCB

Hi Lokasenna

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply and the picture - excellent, I will look out for your detailed thread, but you have given me more than enough to plan my own FCB conversion.

One final question though, has there been a dramatic improvement in wha and volume pedal function since replacing the original FCB pedals?

Thanks again,
    Paul

The FCB is known for not having the best pedals. If you're handy with a soldering iron, or you know someone who is, it's really easy to remove the pedals and replace them with 1/4" jacks so you can use whatever expression pedal you want (Mission Engineering, etc).

Hi Lokasenna,

Can you help?

I would like to replace both expression pedals on my FCB 1010 with something more reliable and with better sweep curves.

Rewiring the existing pedal circuits to jack sockets sounds straightforward enough, but can you tell me which colour wires go to signal and earth etc?

I see many expression pedals for sale, but some refer to being midi specific.

Will any volume or expression pedal do the job or must it be a special midi expression pedal? If so, can you tell me what the difference is please, as I have an old potentiometer based volume foot pedal that I would like to use.

Ideally I would simply like to mount the new pedals, or their internal mechanisms, in the FCB1010 in place of the old pedals, or alternatively cut the FCB 1010 short and place the new pedals alongside.

Maybe I might even get to play guitar.

Many thanks

Paul

Agreed !
    Please more delay's and iff posible old tape Delay's to create "Echo's off the past"
    Also a reverse Reverb would be nice

I have posted this under my own thread per the above heading, but I think it's worth repeating here (pun!).

I enjoy playing and performing Shadows instrumentals. A Stratocaster bridge pickup into a clean AC30 is spot on but I cannot get the complex multi tap delays from the KPA that create the Hank B Marvin signature sounds except the simplest (Apache), but the multiple tap of "Wonderful Land" cannot be realistically achieved with the KPA.

Has anyone achieved delay setting of this type using only the KPA effects? I suspect not.

I really need a vintage multi head delay effect to achieve this sound signature eg Binson, Meazzi Echomatic, Watkins Copycat, Vox Long Tom, Roland Space Echo.

I know I can hook a pedal into the effects loop, but that is more gear and more cost for an effect which the KPA really should be able to deliver.

Even the much maligned HD500 has a 4 head delay effect which could be used in 2 slots in series or in parallel to achieve the equivalent of 8 heads and complex delay patterns. I am very disappointed with this aspect of the KPA.

Paul

Pure speculation:
    On the KPA, each expression pedal input can also be used for two switches. If this is also a feature of the KFC, it would be possible to use one expression pedal, and connect up to six momentary switches. Or, two pedals, and four switches. That could give all eight FX slots an on/off switch. Or, "favorite rig" switches. Or...... :)

Hi Paults

At this stage I would just like to understand the essential functions of the KFC unit.

Without a draft user manual and final layout, everything as you say, is pure speculation.

We need something simple and ergonomic.

A dedicated KFC as outlined by ckemper should do the job, but we are definitely owed a comprehensive update.

I am spending too much time nursing interim solutions (HD500 and FCB1010) and need a final solution.

I look foward to a swift response from the Kemper organisation!

Paul

Can you please give us all a full status update on the KFC? Even if the news is not good, we can take it!

The best information you have given is dated 26 April 2012 (2 years and 1 day ago) when you told us the following:

"The pedal is proprietary for the KPA. The four buttons I II III IV can be freely assigned to any effect and more than one at once. Up to two effects will be displayed by a color LED and On-LED. By these lights you can see if the two effects go on simultaneously or will be swapped. Four expression pedals or switches can be connected. The graphics are not final. No power or midi connections on board, will both be provided by the Profiler"

I also read that the dimensions will not be small enough to fit my Namba bag!

Two years is a long time, even allowing for user consultation, which I applaud, but it's time to draw a line and give us a full update.

Ideally we want a final diagram of the pedal with dimensions, a draft user manual, a delivery window and a price indicator.

Please respond, ASAP.

Many thanks,
    Paul

Is there any specific information on how the KFC will work? I have only seen the two diagrams for large and small. I do not know the proposed physical size and weight and can only guess at what each switch will do. How about a draft user manual? What about some idea of price or a realistic estimate of first shipping date, or even that the project is delayed or defunct.

Will the KFC have more than one mode of operation and, if so which switches will change modes?

What modes, if any, will be available e.g:

Switching Stomps and Effects on and off
    Accessing Rigs via browse and performance modes
    Instant access to, say 10, favourite rigs
    Combination of favourites rigs and selected stomps and effects
    Looper mode
    Other modes?

In each mode what will each switch do? How will the current mode be displayed?

Will we be able to switch between browse and performance modes using the KFC or will we need to use the switch on the KPA?

If a looper is fully implemented, will there be a need for additional processing power and will this be provided by the KPA or additional processing within the KFC?

Have I have missed all this information elsewhere on the forum?

I endorse DB's suggestion of user defined tags. We really need these as the single comment field is too restrictive.

I would also recommend a tag for the assigned midi program change number (browser mode) up-dateable from within rig manager.

With regard to querying the database, the auto filter approach used in excel would serve me very well.

Having said that, I am very pleased with the RM functionality, which hopefully can be developed further.

Many thanks
    Paul

I sometimes get a crackling static sound in the background if I'm using very high gain with a single coil (Strat) or split humbucker (Les Paul). I assume this reflects the absence of a second hum bucking coil.

Possibly of more interest is that I practice alongside my PC using rig manager. Most of the noise disappears when I move away from the PC. I have concluded that the noise is generated by the hard drives in the PC. Possibly I should also look at the shielding and earthing in my guitars, but I am not so worried about that, having identified the source of the noise.

I hope this is of some help.

I think you should first try the Kemper with your Stagepass in the bedroom, just use one speaker. Keep all tone controls flat on the stagepass, which is a full range flat response system.

I suspect you will be delighted, but if not, nothing is lost and you can consider your other options.

I live in an apartment and use a Bose L1 compact (without the speaker extensions for home practice). I find this better than my small near field monitors as the bass is much more extended.

Regards
    Paul

I have had my KPA for a few months now and have just over 500 rigs in Browser Mode from which favourites are beginning to emerge and midi program change numbers are being slowly allocated.

As I delete rigs, I add new ones so sometimes its one step up and two steps back.

With 500+ rigs, boot up time is slow and I aim eventually to get down to 128 rigs in browser mode to match the available midi program change numbers.

I am also about to start using performance mode and, from what I have read, the rig files saved in each performance slot are separate copies of the rig files held in browser mode, modified, if need be, to match each part of the song represented by that performance.

Does this mean an even longer wait whilst the KPA is booting up?

I also believe that there is a storage limit of 1000 rig files on the KPA, so does this limit include total files held in both the browser and performance modes?

Can wiser members of the forum please advise?

I enjoy playing and performing Shadows instrumentals. A Stratocaster bridge pickup into a clean AC30 is spot on but I cannot get the complex multi tap delays from the KPA that create the Hank B Marvin signature sounds except the simplest (Apache), but the multiple tap of "Wonderful Land" cannot be realistically achieved with the KPA.

Has anyone achieved delay setting of this type using only the KPA effects? I suspect not.

I really need a vintage multi head delay effect on the KPA to achieve this sound signature e.g. : Binson, Meazzi Echomatic, Copycat, Vox Long Tom, Roland Space Echo.

I know I can hook a pedal into the effects loop, but that is more gear and more cost for an effect which the KPA really should be able to deliver.

Even the much maligned HD500 has a 4 head delay effect which could be used in 2 slots in series or in parallel to achieve the equivalent of 8 heads and complex delay patterns.

I am VERY DISAPPOINTED with this aspect of the KPA and would ask that this feature request is taken seriously.

Many thanks
    Paul

There is a lot of good information on the forum and WIKPA about setting up and using the HD500 as a foot controller for the KPA so I won't repeat that here.

As far as I can see the consensus has been that the HD500 is limited to 64 fixed midi program number changes, hard wired consecutively to match the HD500 setlist. No user intervention required or allowed.

This, however, only applies in the "ABCD" foot-switch mode of the HD500, but not to the "Pedalboard" mode.

In the pedalboard mode the fixed midi program number changes are still sent, but you can stop the KPA from receiving these by making sure it is set on a different midi channel to the HD500. I used channel 1 for the HD500 and channel 2 for the KPA.

This meant that midi messages from the HD500 had to be programmed using midi channel 2. You have eight foot switches in pedalboard mode that you can use to send the various types of midi message to the KPA. One of these foot switches must be sacrificed to send a program change message to the KPA (0 to 127 user definable).

I have tested this and it works, but there are drawbacks. To change patches in pedalboard mode you have to press a bank change FS once (twice if you are also changing banks) and then press one of the ABCD switches to select the patch you want. This is normal for pedalboard mode, but additionally you then have to press the foot-switch which you assigned to send the midi program change message to the KPA.

This is very frustrating because those foot-switch settings with midi CC toggle status are being automatically sent to the KPA on the HD500 patch change. This meant KPA stomp settings were being changed before the rig change which could cause havoc on a patch change during a performance!

On the plus side you can re-order patches (drag and drop in HD edit) on the HD500 without it affecting your user defined midi program change numbers, and of course you can have 128 program changes by using two HD500 setlists.

Finally is there anyone out there who can figure out a way to trigger the midi program change message automatically from the HD500 when changing patches?

Sadly there is a tendency for me to spend too much time getting the HD500 to do what I want than actually playing the guitar, but then the HD500 always had that frustrating affect!

HELP!

Hi Rappy, I am new too! and love the KPA.

I am also using the old HD500 as a midi controller. There is a lot about this on the forum and WIKPA. If you have a problem with syncing the LEDs on the HD500 with the KPA stomps, have a look at my recent forum post where I think I've nailed the problem.

Welcome aboard,
    Paul

As many of us have, I decided to use my HD500 as a midi controller for the KPA.

As explained on the "HD500 as midi controller" thread (which expired over 90 days ago) I set up dummy stomps in each HD500 patch to enable the foot-switch LEDs to operate. I matched their on/off status to the corresponding rig status as saved on the KPA. I then saved the HD500 patch.

Even though I had set up each HD500 patch very carefully I still got odd results from the KPA when calling up certain rigs. Sometimes KPA stomps were off that should be on, or vice versa, irrespective of the HD500 LEDs which still displayed the expected stomp status. This was not corrected by stepping on the relevant foot-switch, it simply reversed the on/off status between the two machines, still leaving the stomp status and LEDs mismatched.

I now think I understand the problem and I hope this explanation will help anyone else who may be as confused as I was.

The HD500 LEDs reflect the on/off status of the HD500 dummy stomps, they do not of themselves send any data to the KPA. The secret lies in the midi data assigned to each foot-switch. It is the midi data which is actually sent by the HD500 to the KPA each time you call up another patch or subsequently turn a stomp on or off.

If you are experiencing the problems I had, just check when you set an HD500 foot-switch to "on", that the corresponding midi "VALUE" =127, if the HD500 foot-switch is set to "off" make sure the corresponding midi "VALUE" = 000. Then save it.

I did this and now the HD500 LEDs and the expected KPA rig status match every time I change rigs and the foot switch LEDs remain in sync with the KPA.

Please post on this thread if this solution does, or does not, work for you, just in case there is more research to be done.

Thanks
    Paul

please send the files and thanks a lot
    gs

Hi GS, I am happy to send the files. I have looked at the Kemper Support site and clicked on the Email tab, but cannot see an obvious means of attaching files or obtaining a support reference number. What is the procedure please?

Also, I have my KPA backup files before and after deleting the rig files, shall I send both?