Posts by Nemo13

I figure it will be a 1U Kemper with twice the power and capacity with editor and a new more intuitive foot controller an even bigger LED. :D Or a kemper add-on internal board for the current kemper to add massive delays and reverbs and rocket launches to the moon with a rear panel launch button. ^^

Nikos: An editor is not running via the unit. It runs via the PC. The foot controller is not self powered by a computer. You see? Also, I don't believe I called the Kemper team 'lazy or inept' I have no idea where you are getting this.

chriscalandro: I have already explained the obvious advantage of a huge screen and point and click, etc. You can really load up a big computer screen with options. Anything can be better. For example, would you like to have a digital camera with a 0.5" green screen with a few adjustments on display and all other adjustments controlled with the old knobs and dials and buttons? Or would you go for the newer cameras with a full 4" color touch screen? Also back to TC Electronic, how cool is their editor for little pedals? It can go way deeper than just the few knobs if needed.

Anyway, if you can't see the advantage you simply don't have the ability too. And that's ok. Some people are stubborn that way. All who are against it, when it finally comes, will be the first ones to RAVE about ~what a great idea~ to come out with it and how you then could not live without it like the typical consumer. ;)

The only point that matters is an editor is an option that is viable and the tech readily available.

An editor is another arm. It is the big window. The 80's are long over and we can see and act by a bigger image. We don't need to drive a car in the winter snow with the scraped 3" hole through the frost on the windshield. Everything has an editor now, even a freaking refrigerator! Anyone that says that they can reach over and twist some knobs and sift through some sub menus faster than they can point and click is insane and mentally outdated. The tiny screens and buttons are for form factor. You make due with the space you are allowed for your physical product. It is not the only option for control and shouldn't be in this decade. Those who say they can make do, why did you buy a Kemper?? Make do with your old system! Why did you upgrade to Kemper? Oh, flexibility! I see... But then flexibility has its limits, right? Haha...

The foot pedal is an editor. It just has another tiny screen. Useful obviously because it is designed for the foot, but same idea. Eventually, bigger screens will be at your feet or on top / in your rack/stack, screens are cheap now. in 5 or ten years, guitarists will look at the comments of some of you and wonder. ;)

Ok, again, all of you guys with the '80's - 90's readout mentality, more power to you. When something goes wrong or you need to update something, scrunch over to the 4.75" x 1.5" display and knock yourself out with the main and sub menus. But for those of us who thrive on the future (which is why we have a kemper and not yet another tube amp) we would prefer what we are now used to in this decade, which is a full computer screen, everything is right there, nice and huge. I would rather walk up to my rig with my nice lap top and mouse sitting on top of my Kemper rack and point and click quickly for any of my needs immediately, etc... (as I do now with the rig manager) Kemper's setup reminds me of TC Electronic, I loved the G Force, and it was super easy to navigate, and there were many useful features if needed. But then the lesser G Major came out, and had an editor. Wonderful. Sure, the interface is easy to navigate on the rack, but even better, I can use a BIG FREAKING SCREEN to see all the things I need. ;) Ever since these editors came out for various other units, there is no going back. You guys against it are just like tube amp guys against the Kemper! Stuck in your old fashion ways.

I had a Strymon Timeline and a Mobius, really cool pedals. But in the Kemper it would be nice to have just one box, similar to the Axe, Amp, effects, editor, etc. But in the end, some were using an Axe with a tube power amp and such to get the tones they want and I thought that was a step back. Some of course didn't, so you know. I'm always thinking small and LIGHT. ;) Anyway, if they came out with a Kemper 2, I would be ok with that. Or a companion 1 space effects rack with buttloads of routing? Sure, what the hell. Maybe an expansion board for the current Kemper? Who knows? Its all fun. For amp heads, I just got tired of all the heavy boxes and heads. If you are one of those unfortunate working musicians up north loading shit up and down rickety ice covered stairs, I'm sure you curse your 50 - 70 lbs head(s) everytime. Or your boutique rack that weighs 280lbs and the wheels are spaced too far and you get scraping / have to lift/carry that monster over raised doorways, etc... Pedals boards that are huuuuge, 1000 cables, and a short... somewhere... agh! I love the future. I love the Kemper. I love to watch old 70's concerts where the guitarist is kicking the shit out of his stacks so I can go "I know why he is doing that..." Small, light, powerful, ah yes...

I think an editor should be on the table. That's one of the reasons I liked TC Electronic, they always had a wonderful and easy interface on their racks, and still came out with an editor later, hell even their pedals have an editor! Or even Digitech with their GSP1101 right out of the gate had one, etc, etc.. In the computer age, it shoudl just be there, period. Nothing beats seeing it all nice and huge on a big screen, and with laptops and such, even on stage, etc.. The delays and such should have come first before this morph thing. Standard effects ALWAYS have a need and can eliminate other equipment used which is always good, special gimmicky effect things only interest a few.

I'm sure Kemper will get there, and with many people showing interest that helps any company know if it is worth the effort, etc... For the people who say silly things like "Its not needed" or "We have no right to ask" etc., I think these people should pay xtra for upgrades. Such groveling loyalty is worth something. ;)

Lastly, I'm sure our Kempers have hardware limits? Eventually out of nowhere will come the Kemper 2! with everything we were asking, haha... Well, that is what happened to all the Axe Ultra users, and Ebay was loaded with guys trying to get some $$$. Save your money early. ;)

It's just the most sophisticated material, and the best for resonances.
    Milling took a lot more than expected because not all the machines are gifted with tips hard enough to carve it. They needed to proceed at the least speed, and tips were changed three times because surgical iron just eat them LOL

The first I've heard of it, I know of the Titanium rage and such due to weight, but not surgical steel and such, I thought it was mostly for tools and jewelry, but then again the quest for unique is always there. If I build another guitar I want to explore aircraft aluminum which would be fun, I've seen some amazing guitars from some builders.

Surgical Iron? Why did you choose this? Milling shouldn't take 40 days, but I guess if you have to send it out.. I can knock out the finest detail inlay on my CNC. I wouldn't trust no glue, I can't see any advantage not to have them glued considering wood and humidity and such. Guitar stories are the best! That is what makes some guitars magical and others just guitars. Not by who owned them or anything, but the timeline of its making such as yours. A few years back I made a few magick guitars, with the following of all the rituals, hours of the day, preparations, etc, and little spells under the bridge pickups, etc... Weird to some, fun for others...

My company and me are very fine. Good luck to yours!

Glad to hear. I don't have a company, its just me.

Once again, you are wrong. Sorry. And did I mention how well it sounds with the Kemper? Everyone who has played through it likes it. The win goes to the peoples vote. ;)

We can go back and forth all day on opinions of crossovers and such, but that is straying from my original point which is more interesting. Choice of components are many and is pretty much like arguing about which 12" speaker sounds best with a Marshall.

Well, I'm sure you tried the Kemper yourself as well at one point before you bought? I did at least. It wouldn't have been the first product not to deliver on its claims. We're lucky it does deliver.

Actually no, I didn't try it before hand. If it would have sucked I would have just sent it back. I didn't have too high of hopes for it, since there has been a trail of disappointment from other gear, but there was such a buzz about it I thought what the hell. After lots of comparisons and ear scrutiny, I decided the future is finally upon us guitar players. My thing is comparison are too hard to do because everyone hears it differently. You have to get your hands on one and try it out. I'm a tube snob, but that is fading fast, haha... My tube amps I still have are just for the nostalgia of the tube. Kemper has an easy layout which reminds me of the easy TC Electronic layouts, just easy to navigate, so that is a huge plus.

The Eminence Beta 12 CX is not flat enough, to run it through a crossover you can buy. There is a 6 dB peak between 1,8 and 4 kHz. You have to design and build the crossover by your own, because there is no crossover on the market to flatten the peaks of the 12 CX out. But my best wishes for building your own FRFR cabs!

Incorrect. Eminence PXB2:1K6 or Eminence PXB2:2K5CX work fine. My little project Laney cab sounds excellent.

If you take the components out of any speaker, you have a box. What does the box cost to build? Not much. The components are the price. The rest is just thoughtful construction. You could have a price difference of $$$$ between same speakers solely because of the name. Could you find equal sound in cheaper components? Certainly. Do people overspend for what they really need? Absolutely. As far as guitars, a guitar only takes 6 months to build because of volume, nothing more. I am not a business, so I can build the best guitar in the world in 3 weeks. Most of the time is paint, given proper drying time or if I bake the paint. If I build a neck through by hand, it it would take around 1 week. If I use my CNC, about 2 days. Is there a diff between the two methods in quality or sound? No. For example, if I want a 4 x 12 by say ENGL 4/12 with Celestion Vintage 30, that would be around $1350 or so new. To buy the speakers, hardware & tolex, wood, etc, around $650 new. Maybe even cheaper depending on the deal you can get on the speakers. Or you could find similar speakers with the same specs that costs less with same result. Anything you do yourself is going to save you lots of $$. Also, nothing makes you grow more and further in to sound and beyond than creating your own, and for some who can never find exactly what they want, this may be the best if not only option. Simpler still is repurposing a speaker cab that has the same construction as a much costlier speaker, but just a shitty speaker and ugly tolex. $50 in tolex, a great speaker, and you have a top notch new speaker cab for less. Even a crappy speaker cab will do at times. I got a used Laney IRT-112 for $100. I liked the dimensions, which is 22 x 17 x 14, a nice size to set a little rack on with my Kemper. Took out the 12" speaker, put in a cheap Eminence Beta-12CX & driver, 2 way crossover for around $140, and this thing sounds awesome. Total cost less than $300. Or you could spend over $1000 for someone else to sell you something.

One Kemper is a lot cheaper to tour with than two heads and a bunch of effects, so there's that.

What I mean is why question a Kemper? It does its job good enough. Any tiny little nuances are pointless. The benefits far outweigh any little grumbling. I have my Diezel really for tube nostalgia, the Kemper and the like are the future so there is no need to compare IMHO.

The ear is not perfect, thus no speaker is perfect. When I say 'the ear doesn't lie' I mean that the ear will only hear what it can in its current environment. Most things people think they hear are in their head not the product. I have built audiophile level speakers and I have upgraded cheapo speakers for years. 90% of people would never question the difference. Can you make a guitar cab from $300 sound as good as ones selling for $1500? Absolutely. No different than when I build an exotic guitar for $1000 and sell it for $5k. You save a lot learning and doing yourself, and in the process learn more about sound, etc.

Ugh, comparisons... What is the point in these? I have a Diezel Herbert, sometimes I play it and it sounds better than the Kemper, then the next day, the Kemper sounds better. Nothing has changed except the day... Or maybe the wax in my head?! Washing my hands made my playing brighter? poltergeist moving my speaker cabs slightly?! I vote for the latter. Its the only plausible explanation. ;)

Nope. I've built many cabs over the years in different formats, all sounded just as good as anything you'd pay top dollar for, period. If in doubt, you could always go to the extreme and go though the scientific rigors with scopes and measures, but ultimately, the ear doesn't lie. In live situations, there are so many variables to sound few if any could tell the diff between any cab, only in a closed studio environment may some find difference with close scrutiny, real or imagined. If you don't know anything about building things, materials, speakers, etc., you would be lost in the discussion, but for those of us that have been doing this for decades, it is old hat.