Posts by RDM

Hi,

I bought my Kemper back in 2013 for home use and this is my set up for recording covers that I occasionally upload to YouTube:

GuitarKemper → S/PDIF →Focusrite 6i6 →USB →PCRig Manager + Pro Tools

The formatting did not allow me to fully use my very basic use of arrows to show the connections, so additionally I connect:

• The Kemper to the PC via USB (for Rig Manager); and
    • A pair of Genelec 8020B Monitor Speakers to the speakers outs on the Focusrite 6i6.

This set up allows me to use my monitor speakers to listen to sound from my PC (i.e. internet and iTunes) as well as the Kemper.

Here's an example of something I did using this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR12GzaihBc

Enjoy your Kemper!

Aren't a few of the guys on here testers prior to Beta release? I'm sure Ingolf 'fessed up to it once.

Perhaps Ingolf should switch between using 2 profile pictures - use the one he has now (smiling face) when something is imminent and then use one where he's a bit more straight faced for when there isn't.

Or perhaps someone who lives nearby could take him out for a few lagers to loosen those lips.

Of course I'm just joking . . . Ingolf will only crack for cold hard cash!

No, seriously I'm joking. If we get something - great, if not - my life goes on.

Hi Morgan,

The range of amps is good and I liked the sound of the clips.

I probably don't need any new profiles; however, what would tempt me would be, instead of single amp packs with far too many profiles than you'll ever need (or in most cases like), you could buy a single pack that covered all the amps in the following 6 sweet spots:

• Clean - 1 profile at the single coil sweet spot + 1 profile at the humbucker sweet spot
    • Crunch - 1 profile at the single coil sweet spot + 1 profile at the humbucker sweet spot
    • Lead - 1 profile at the single coil sweet spot + 1 profile at the humbucker sweet spot.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Still won't stay logged in and I checked my settings, works on every other forum.... etc!

I kinda miss the recent activity window that used to be on the main page lol.

Not that it's really all that important but editing PM's is no longer available?

Similarly, I didn't always read posts whilst logged in. However, if I did log in, then I wouldn't need to do it every subsequent time I turned on my PC.

I also always viewed posts by clicking on 'Dashboard' and then 'Unread posts' (from memory, I think that's correct) and I could do this whilst not logged in also. Now at lunchtime at work, I have to log in and then select 'unread posts' from the top bar and I'd rather not be logging in at work.

Just my two penn'orth, in case any tweaks might be made.

Well, if I actually played these sports; for football - I'm right footed, tennis - left handed, cricket and golf - right handed.

For writing, I'm left handed.

With the guitar, left handed felt right and I've never tried right handed.

Paying more for left handed guitars and having less models available is a bit annoying; however, I've managed to accumulate 24 guitars, so I doubt the missus is going to sympathise with my plight. :rolleyes:

The Kemper now has 'Git/Master Mono' as an S/PDIF output option. Therefore, if I just want a full mono output (rather than wanting to reamp), I use the 'Git/Master Mono' output setting on the Kemper and run it into a mono track in my DAW and select S/PDIF 2 as the input to the mono DAW track.

I just record covers at home to upload to YouTube and I'm probably a bit of a Philistine, as I've never dabbled with Performance mode - just stuck with Browser.

I rename the rig based on the song and track, so for example - when covering 'The Only One I know' by The Charlatans, the Bass track would be saved to my Kemper as 'TOOIK Bass'.

If the song name is shorter, I might use the actual name rather than just initials, but scrolling through the letters on the Kemper screen is a bit tedious. I think you can connect a keyboard to it, but I'd like to keep things minimal.

If there are multiple guitar tracks, I usually include the guitar name and pick up position, e.g. 'Song Name Strat Lead Neck'.

If I ever want to play the song again I have the video, Pro Tools session and Kemper rig names to remind me what I used for each track; although, by then I've probably moved on and also my family would probably prefer to not hear me playing the song ever again.

Yeah, I use SPDIF and have a Master Stereo signal going in to my DAW; however, a lot of people on this forum say "record the guitar parts in mono" and therefore I also looked for a Master Mono option for SPDIF, but to no avail.

Are you meant to just open a mono track in the DAW and feed the Master Stereo SPDIF signal into that, or use a stereo track in the DAW and just pan the L and R to the same spot?

That's not what he was talking about. He was asking if two stereo track takes from the Kemper sounds any different from two mono tracks, both panned the same way.

Thanks nakedzen and paults for replying. Nakedzen is correct, I'm not talking about double tracking guitars. I was trying to keep the scenario as simple as possible, by avoiding mentioning recording the 2 separate guitar parts twice and therefore having 4 stereo tracks - 2 panned left and 2 panned right.

My query is what is the difference between:

SPDIF Stereo - audio interface - stereo DAW track - both channels panned to (say) 36

and

SPDIF Stereo - audio interface - mono DAW track - single mono channel panned to (say) 36

Nakedzen has suggested that there is no need to record a stereo track unless using a stereo effect (e.g. delay), so assuming no stereo effects are involved, are there any differences between the two approaches? Does it matter?

Cheers.

I use SPDIF into my audio interface, which provides a stereo input into a stereo track in my DAW.

If instead of a single guitar track with both channels panned at 12 o'clock, I have say 2 different guitar tracks and want them panned at different positions left and right - as they're both stereo tracks, I pan one track (both channels) to the same position left (say 36) and pan the other track (both channels) to the same position right (say 36 again).

My question is: is this different to recording the 2 separate guitar tracks via SPDIF stereo into my audio interface, but into mono instead of stereo tracks and then just panning the mono tracks left (36) and right (36)?

I don't believe the Kemper has an SPDIF setting which is actually full mono into the audio interface, which is why I usually start with stereo into the audio interface.

Any advice (assuming the above makes sense)?

Isn't it a case of:

TONE (gear) + TECHNIQUE (human element) + ENVIRONMENT (room) = THE SOUND YOU HEAR

Therefore if 2 people take it in turns to play the same gear in the same room, THE SOUND YOU HEAR in each case will be different, because they will not have exactly the same TECHNIQUE.

Now this difference might be minimal if they are just playing a single barre chord repeatedly, but will become more noticeable the more complicated the piece (e.g. the more TECHNICALLY difficult).

I think people are arguing at crossed purposes. I think Cederick is saying TONE and TECHNIQUE are separate (as per my equation) and people are then saying "No, TECHNIQUE definitely affects the TONE.", when perhaps they actually mean "the hands really have an influence on the SOUND YOU HEAR"?

Or, I could be completely wrong - anyway football's on now, so I'm off.

Putting the profiling of the amp to one side for a moment, If Michael_DK has used a DI from the OP and used the same freely available profile and obtained the same sound as the OP, then there doesn't appear to be anything different between the OP's Kemper and Michael's.

Michael, do you think the sound of the DI + profile sounds bad?

If Michael thinks it sounds great, then Michael and the OP have different viewpoints on tone.

Re: Profiling - was Don earlier trying to indicate that the amp the OP was trying to profile might be the kind that is problematic?

I'm going to go back to my glass of wine and watch another old Top of The Pops from 1982, when this was probably less of an issue.

Glad you asked motochick, as I have a related query . . .

I run my Kemper into my audio interface (previously MBox 2, but now Focusrite Scarlett 6i6) via S/PDIF and use Pro Tools to either practice or record - with my interface connected to a pair of Genelec monitor speakers.

I have the S/PDIF output on the Kemper set to 'Master Stereo' and if I have a stereo track set up in Pro Tools then I can practice or record in stereo. My question is: "what is the best set up for playing or recording in mono (full signal) when using S/PDIF?" Is it:

• Use S/PDIF 'Master Stereo' as the Kemper output, but run this into a mono track in Pro Tools;
    • Use S/PDIF 'Master Stereo' as the Kemper output, run this into a stereo track, but pan both channels to the same position either left or right? or
    • Use a different S/PDIF output setting into a mono or stereo track in Pro Tools? If a stereo track is used, which channel will provide the full mono signal?

I've read the info in the manual re: the S/PDIF output settings, but still a little unclear, so grateful for any advice.

Cheers.

I believe if you tick the 'Headphone Space' box this restricts the effect to the headphone output only. With it unticked, it applies to the main outputs. Here's what the manual states:

"By pressing the “Headphone Space” soft button, you can select whether it is applied to the HEADPHONE OUTPUT only, or to the MAIN OUTPUTS as well."

Hi, I used the Vox AC30 B1 rig from MBritt's Pack 2 on this clip with my Rickenbacker 330 and Burns Double Six:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.